Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy Scouts to drop "boy" from name and accept girls joining in 2019.

Boy Scouts to drop "boy" from name and accept girls joining in 2019.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/02...tion-says.html

Interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by from article

The Girl Scouts said their organization was blindsided by the move and are planning an aggressive campaign to ramp up recruitment numbers

"We're trying to find the right way to say we're here for both young men and young women."
    - Chief Scout Executive Mike Surbaugh

"Girl Scouts is the premier leadership development organization for girls," Sylvia Acevedo, the Girl Scouts' CEO, said. "We are, and will remain, the first choice for girls and parents who want to provide their girls opportunities to build new skills...and grow into happy, successful, civically engaged adults."

Boy Scout leaders have cited busy and diverse families as a reason...
    Boy and girls will still be separated into their own groups...

My question is, what the hell happens to my cookie delivery service???
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

I’m good with it. Between all the canoeing, hiking, orienteering, archery, skiing, knot tying, survival skills, and regular first aid training... hell, the only thing missing from my excellent scouting days as a youth was girls.

#FTMFW

As long as this doesn't interfere with my regular shipments of Samoas, I'm okay with it.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    What I have a problem with is that evidently a great many people have a problem with the existence of an organization/program just for boys. Boys need to learn lots of stuff, including how to be men. There is overlap with what girls need to know, but still.

This age of political correctness is boring the shit out of me.

Girl Scouts is bullshit. Particularly when compared to Boy Scouts. All Girl Scouts train girls to do is to aggressively sell cookies and branded merchandise and getting taken for a ride in a pyramid scheme.

The Scout Association has been co-ed in the UK since the 1970s, still roughly 500k scouts in the UK, girls are ~30% of them.

I see nothing wrong with this, at all. I'd rather my niece hangout with Boy Scouts than sell cookies. Unfortunately, I'm afraid she's going to be a very girly-girl, she's already way into jewelry and dress-up.

The interesting part of this for me is that the Girl Scouts were 'blind sided' by the announcement. That seems very strange and an undermining move. I had sons who were scouts, and no daughters. Other than the cookies, I have no idea what Girl Scouts actually do... do they camp, attain merit badges, etc?

I'm sure I'd have really enjoyed this back in the 70's during my annual summer weeks at Bert Adams Scout Reservation. Pretty sure there would have been quite the sneakfest going on.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Girl Scouts is bullshit. Particularly when compared to Boy Scouts. All Girl Scouts train girls to do is to aggressively sell cookies and branded merchandise and getting taken for a ride in a pyramid scheme.
    Ahhhhhhh

As an Eagle Scout, I'm disappointed.

But as a father of two girls, I'm excited at an opportunity for them that isn't Girl Scout bulllshit.

I still haven't decided though.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

The Scout Association has been co-ed in the UK since the 1970s, still roughly 500k scouts in the UK, girls are ~30% of them.

I see nothing wrong with this, at all. I'd rather my niece hangout with Boy Scouts than sell cookies. Unfortunately, I'm afraid she's going to be a very girly-girl, she's already way into jewelry and dress-up.
    We trained ours to camp, how to shoot rifles and pistols, manage money, basics of car emergencies, and how to knee boys in the cojones. And make cookies!

Site Supporter
    Why change something that works if it works? But a name change should not affect program quality.

User Tag List