Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for LE: Professional Auto Theft Prevention?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Just saw this this morning: BMW admits it is powerless to stop thieves using gadgets which are widely available online from stealing its latest keyless models
    Basically, using a repeater to "grab" the signal from the fob inside the house to open and start, and "clone" the signal so the car stays running.
    The article is a bit misleading and they were kind enough to not publish the alleged email. If someone can figure out the frequency the car and fob operate on, obtain the transmitter ID, the interrogation and rolling codes, then it's fair to say that there's much to stop someone with those type of resources from stealing a car. It's going to all that trouble or shooting the person that's driving the car in the back of the head to get the keys. Boo Hoo Albanian mobsters stole my car, life was so much better in the good old days when they had decency to take the keys from us.

We've caught VIN swaps on some newer trucks that were probably towed off thefts and had new keys programmed. Vin swapping is much harder to pull off these days so it's not very common on newer cars.
    Last edited by txdpd; 05-03-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Related video:

MARC WEBER TOBIAS AND PRZEMYSLAW CHEC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrieUNKoBUw

MARC WEBER TOBIAS AND SASCHA WENDT ON CAR THEFT
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FrO30gb8-g

MARC WEBER TOBIAS AND MBE ON SKODA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI_uyoy7kJA

Locally, it's pretty difficult to steal newer cars....unless you have a buddy that works at an auto dealership and knows where the keybox is. We've had a lot of cars stolen that way in recent months. They either recon it for their buddies (gang members) and leave a back door open on a late Friday or they smash the place on a Saturday night and steal a few cars. Our local Chevy dealership was getting eaten alive last year like this.

Most of the other stolen cars are older models (Hondas, chevy p/ups, newer crotch rockets) and it seems like every week they read out a Ninja type bike or something else that's easy for two or three guys to simply pick up and put in a truck. Four wheelers are commonly stolen as well.

My son has a 14 Accord Sport, black, with Enkei rims and I told him that if he gets jacked for it, let it go and I'll get him another one. It's fully insured and easily replaced. I did tell him that the fact that it has a six speed manual may be all the theft deterrent he needs in this day and age. He loves that car (his real first car) and if it shows up missing one day State Farm will get a phone call and we will look for another one.

A vast majority of the stolen cars in town are not stolen but traded for dope and then not returned to the junkie "on time". Keys are always "with the vehicle". Cause that's the best place to keep your keys.....in your unlocked car.

Yeah, whatever. I'd have more respect for them if they would be honest. "Yeah, I needed a rock bad and let my dealer run his dope business in my car for the weekend."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Just saw this this morning: BMW admits it is powerless to stop thieves using gadgets which are widely available online from stealing its latest keyless models
    Basically, using a repeater to "grab" the signal from the fob inside the house to open and start, and "clone" the signal so the car stays running.
    The technology is there. No argument.

The dudes who steal cars are not the same dudes who are proficient with this kind of technology. That is Hollywood stuff.

Is it possible to make a 1000 yard shots with a rifle? Sure. Are 99.9% of actual guys who pull armed robberies able to make a shot like that? Nope.

User Tag List