Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K-22/Beginner shooter question

Site Supporter

K-22/Beginner shooter question

I took my 11 year old daughter shooting last weekend. It was not her first time with a handgun, but it was her first time with a revolver. I figured a K-22 would be an easy choice for a first revolver experience. I was quite surprised when that turned out to be wrong.

She had some significant difficulty pushing the cylinder latch forward, and tremendous difficulty cocking the gun. She barely got through two cylinders before begging to go back to my Buck Mark.

I had not noticed anything I thought was wrong with the gun, but thought I should ask here: is it possible that after years of shooting, something inside the frame of the gun or elsewhere requires a disassembly and cleaning? What other possibilities should I investigate?

For purposes of comparison, she had no difficulty opening the cylinder or cocking the hammer on a Colt Python, and wants to shoot that gun next time.

A person's dexterity and strength manifest itself (practically) in some very unusual ways sometimes. I see it all the time and the limitations seldom seem to make any sense, but it is what it is.

As for something like cylinder latch releases, pulling is easier for some - pushing is easier for others. As for hammer cocking, I will say the hammer on my Python is MUCH easier to cock than any S&W ... even those with trigger work.

With most manipulation issues, the culprit is usually a marginal hand size ...... it just makes things more difficult for those with average hand strength.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Is she trying to cock it with her shooting hand or support hand?

I feel revolvers are easier to shoot with the old school grip, like support hand not far forward, particularly when cocking single action. Off hand index or trigger finger on the front of the trigger guard lets the hand raise higher and less angle of the wrist to cock the hammer with the off hand. I put my off hand thumb over the shooting hand thumb, 1970s style.

Does it have larger grips, like Pachmayrs that cover the backstrap and increase the reach to all the working parts?

Is she trying to push the cylinder out hard at the same time as trying to push the cylinder release? That would increase resistance on the cylinder latch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Is she trying to cock it with her shooting hand or support hand?

I feel revolvers are easier to shoot with the old school grip, like support hand not far forward, particularly when cocking single action. Off hand index or trigger finger on the front of the trigger guard lets the hand raise higher and less angle of the wrist to cock the hammer with the off hand. I put my off hand thumb over the shooting hand thumb, 1970s style.

Does it have larger grips, like Pachmayrs that cover the backstrap and increase the reach to all the working parts?

Is she trying to push the cylinder out hard at the same time as trying to push the cylinder release? That would increase resistance on the cylinder latch.
    She has tried both ways of cocking the gun, but I prefer the NRA method of using the support hand thumb to cock the hammer while maintaining the primary hand’s grip.

The gun has factory wood grips with an exposed back strap. I have recently been replacing oversize rubber grips with the factory wood for my own trigger reach.

I suspect some pushing the cylinder out simultaneously even though I warned her about it. It simply should not be that difficult to push the latch forward.

Her hands are smaller than mine, and unlike me she has done no specific hand strengthening exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    My oldest had trouble with my K22 and my Ruger Bearcat. Double-action was out of the question and cocking the hammer was tough. Reaching the hammer was a challenge, and when she did, it required two thumbs. Eventually I used this as an excuse to get a 22/45 (which was then an excuse to get a can). Even 4 years later, she prefers the 22/45.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    My oldest had trouble with my K22 and my Ruger Bearcat. Double-action was out of the question and cocking the hammer was tough. Reaching the hammer was a challenge, and when she did, it required two thumbs. Eventually I used this as an excuse to get a 22/45 (which was then an excuse to get a can). Even 4 years later, she prefers the 22/45.

Chris
    That is interesting: two choices often touted as good for young shooters did not work out, and one of those two choices did not work out well for both of our daughters.

I have long questioned whether revolvers were good choices for those with low hand strength, but this is really demonstrating the problem more than I would have suspected.

I am still curious about whether there is something I need to check re: the condition of my gun.

My 17-5 needs to be wiped down after six or seven cylinders. It could be that the gun was just dirty and possibly even had trash under the extractor star causing it to be difficult to rotate the cylinder. Also, the ejector rod could be backing out, also making it difficult to release the cylinder latch and rotate the cylinder.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    My 17-5 needs to be wiped down after six or seven cylinders. It could be that the gun was just dirty and possibly even had trash under the extractor star causing it to be difficult to rotate the cylinder. Also, the ejector rod could be backing out, also making it difficult to release the cylinder latch and rotate the cylinder.
    Examined the gun tonight. Nothing under the extractor star, and I do clean there every time I shoot a revolver. The ejector rod is tightly in place. The latch does seem to require some force to push, although not a great deal. Once the latch is pushed, the cylinder swings out easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Rimfire revolvers have stronger mainsprings to assure positive ignition. That's a given. The Python has a longer hammer arc so force expended to cock it is spread out over distance. Hence mechanical advantage is greater. .22 autos beat revolvers for young shooters and all beginners.

I believe smith uses the same mainsprings in the K frame 22s and centerfires.

User Tag List