Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My new Colt Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Pretty impressive deal on these things going on right now.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=1832
    Well, that cost me $600. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What's the size like vs a SP-101?
    I am working on a comparison of a 2.25-inch barreled SP-101 chambered in .38 Special and the Colt Cobra. I configured the SP-101 with the equivalent Hogue grips that are OEM with the Cobra to make this as close as equal to start. The sights are a bit different as the Ruger has a XS Big Dot, and the Colt has the OEM fiber optic. Now I just need the weather to cooperate as we have been vacillating between downpours and oppressive heat; that makes for less than pleasant shooting on my backyard range.

The SP-101 is from 1989 (first year of production) and has the original short frame. That frame was used later for the first "125-grain ONLY" .357 Magnum guns and was superseded by the "X" frame with the longer cylinder and appropriate cylinder window in the frame. As such, it is as close as a SP-101 can be to the Cobra.

Very interested in your comparison test. One thing I like about the Colt Cobra is their grip, Hogue or VZ. Anticipating your updates.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I am working on a comparison of a 2.25-inch barreled SP-101 chambered in .38 Special and the Colt Cobra. I configured the SP-101 with the equivalent Hogue grips that are OEM with the Cobra to make this as close as equal to start. The sights are a bit different as the Ruger has a XS Big Dot, and the Colt has the OEM fiber optic. Now I just need the weather to cooperate as we have been vacillating between downpours and oppressive heat; that makes for less than pleasant shooting on my backyard range.

The SP-101 is from 1989 (first year of production) and has the original short frame. That frame was used later for the first "125-grain ONLY" .357 Magnum guns and was superseded by the "X" frame with the longer cylinder and appropriate cylinder window in the frame. As such, it is as close as a SP-101 can be to the Cobra.
    Did you ever get to compare these 2?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Did you ever get to compare these 2?
    I am in the midst of the compare. The issue is I have been shooting Weigand and Gemini Customs SP-101s since 1995, and I have had the Cobras (I have a pair) for a less than a month. As such, everything is easier with the SP-101 as I know the tool really well.

Some things I did note:

1) The Cobra fits my Sparks VM-2 for the SP-101. The guns weigh the same, but the balance point of the SP-101 is further back than the Cobra.
    2) The SP-101 is much easier for me to reload with Bianchi Speed Strips. That may be from twenty-plus years of shooting the SP-101. K-frame speedloaders in the Cobra were a "no-go" for me. Too much fiddling. Dot Torture (dots six and seven) with both is very frustrating.
    3) The factory triggers on the guns are totally different. The Cobra trigger has fewer start/stop points. The Cobra is very easy to shoot at speed. The factory SP-101, not so much. Very noticeable WHO.
    4) The Colt trigger does not have the sharp edge that the factory SP-101 triggers do. That edge is addressed on all of my Weigand and Gemini Customs guns, but I am using a stock SP-101 for this. Between the trigger edge and the factory trigger feel, Cobra is way ahead.
    5) I prefer the Ruger compact grips over the Hogue finger groove grips. Hogue grips are longer than my small hands need and the finger grooves are in the wrong place for me. I have not ordered the VZ grips.
    6) The Ruger cylinder release works better for me. The Colt release seems to drag.
    7) Practical accuracy is identical in my hands. I like the Cobra sights, but the SP-101 is not a handicap, even with the XS front sight.

The hard question for me to answer is, "If I had neither gun, which would I purchase?" The extra round and the better trigger of the Cobra are nice, but the support for the SP-101, both from Ruger and the aftermarket is hard to beat. The SP-101 is easier and less expensive to procure and available in more caliber and barrel lengths due to being on the market much longer. The SP-101 comes apart much easier due to the modular construction. From a durability view, the SP-101 is a known quantity; the Cobra is TBD.

All in all, both are decent choices.

Good review, thanks!

Farscott,s post mirrors much of my observations with the only minor difference is my favorite SP101 is a Bowen custom. I look at the Cobra as likely a better .38 Special urban carry gun for personal protection from two legged criminals and the SP101 is a great concealable protection gun when larger critters may be a problem. The Cobra is like a bigger .38 pocket gun and the SP101 is like a smaller .357 Magnum belt gun.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I have the utmost respect for DB based on his experience and accomplishments, so I am going to defer to his opinion on the suitability for most people of the SP-101 and Cobra to either belt carry or pocket carry. I can only share my results, knowing they may not be applicable to others.

I should also preface the rest with the statement that small revolvers, most of the time, are backup guns as I use a polymer-framed autoloading pistol (P30 or G17.3) as primaries. The exception for that is when I am working outside and a larger gun gets in the way. Hence, the VM-2 for the SP-101.

For me, shorter-height-than-average person, neither the SP-101 or Cobra is a pocket gun. Just too big and too heavy for me. The S&W M60 or M640 are the closest to the Cobra from the S&W line, and I do not like the M640 for pocket carry as I find it too heavy, especially in slacks. I did not even try the Cobra in my pocket holsters, once I knew it weighed the same as the SP-101. For pocket carry, I would (did) go with the S&W M442, M642, or M342PD. I have a M442 and my wife has a M342PD. I think Colt should bring an aluminum alloy framed (not cylinder) Cobra with the shrouded hammer like my daughter's DS to the market. Or better yet a concealed hammer like the Centennials. That would make the Cobra a much better pocket gun for me. I think the current Cobra models make good belt guns for people who want a small, reliable .six-shot 38 Special DA revolver.

The best thing, in my opinion, is we have more choices. Colt, Kimber, Ruger, and S&W are all making small revolvers, so there is lots of competition. Competition drives improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I have the utmost respect for DB based on his experience and accomplishments, so I am going to defer to his opinion on the suitability for most people of the SP-101 and Cobra to either belt carry or pocket carry. I can only share my results, knowing they may not be applicable to others.

I should also preface the rest with the statement that small revolvers, most of the time, are backup guns as I use a polymer-framed autoloading pistol (P30 or G17.3) as primaries. The exception for that is when I am working outside and a larger gun gets in the way. Hence, the VM-2 for the SP-101.

For me, shorter-height-than-average person, neither the SP-101 or Cobra is a pocket gun. Just too big and too heavy for me. The S&W M60 or M640 are the closest to the Cobra from the S&W line, and I do not like the M640 for pocket carry as I find it too heavy, especially in slacks. I did not even try the Cobra in my pocket holsters, once I knew it weighed the same as the SP-101. For pocket carry, I would (did) go with the S&W M442, M642, or M342PD. I have a M442 and my wife has a M342PD. I think Colt should bring an aluminum alloy framed (not cylinder) Cobra with the shrouded hammer like my daughter's DS to the market. Or better yet a concealed hammer like the Centennials. That would make the Cobra a much better pocket gun for me. I think the current Cobra models make good belt guns for people who want a small, reliable .six-shot 38 Special DA revolver.

The best thing, in my opinion, is we have more choices. Colt, Kimber, Ruger, and S&W are all making small revolvers, so there is lots of competition. Competition drives improvements.
    Trust me, I agree on pocket carry with either. Both are too heavy. With my size I can and have pocket carried the Cobra. It will never replace my M&P 340’s. Where I see it pocket carried is more of someone answering the door or checking a suspicious noise in a yard or with snake shot in certain areas slipped in a back pocket. I would agree that Colt should really be looking hard at an aluminum framed Lightweight Cobra where it could excel in a primary gun, daily pocket carry type system for a good number of people, especially with a boot grip along with the bobbed hammer.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Long ago I decided that few handguns were pocket pistols despite having that designation. People would say things like "if I were going to use a holster, I'd carry something bigger than that Walther PP or that...",and I'd point out the larger size and weight of their choice. Here I'm speaking from civilian perspective and not law enforcement. Also, as people age, larger and heavier handguns are not as conveniently carried as in earlier years. When I go fishing with l.e. friends, I don't carry because they are armed. I've become lazy. But I can still outshoot these guys on paper. Shooting is not their passion.
    Last edited by willie; 06-29-2018 at 12:13 PM.

User Tag List