Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Colt Cobra

My new Colt Cobra

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a NIB Colt Cobra. I wanted to add to my Colt collection and use it as an upgrade pocket revolver in lieu of my nolock S&W models 638 or 642.

I took it to the range with my 1961 2nd Generation Detective Special, S&W 638, S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum 4" and my 6" Colt Trooper MkIII. I had a blast at the local indoor range and my friend and manager of the range helped me burn some .38 and .357 ammo. Every thing worked great and shot well except for the brand new Cobra.

First off it simply felt cheap when handling and dry firing. Trigger was great but it just sounded scratchy and funny. Hard to describe. When holding the 1961 DS and dry firing it, opening the cylinder and such the old "man hour intensive" quality shined like a beacon. The Cobra had none of it. When it came to trigger time it shot smooth and well but accuracy was abominable. The indoor range was limited to 50 feet. A hair over 16 yards. Using factory 158gr lead round nose my DS and 638 easily gave me DA groups of 3 inches and nicely centered. The Cobra was so far right that only three rounds hit the edge of the paper and those three rounds were 9+ inches. It was shooting a foot right and with a 9 to 10 inch group for me and the range manager. Same result with some Remington 125gr +P JHP. The Kentucky windage required shooting at the left edge of the target. Both of us were kicking butt with the other revolvers but the Cobra was a big disappointment.

I know that sending it back "might" get it fixed after a wait but not for me. Took it back to the gun shop for a full refund in store credit. As a retiree I have no time for lemons that do not shoot worth a darn.

Some of the "wonderful" reviews I read in magazines stoked the fires but looking back several alluded to "minor" accuracy issues. I hope Colt does not end up with another "All American 2000" gun disaster.

It must be a couple of years ago that Guns & Ammo did glowing review of a new Colt 1911 in 9mm. The gun was returned to Colt and subsequently sent to another reviewer. This reviewer encountered numerous problems trying to get the gun to run and wasn't impressed with the reliability. She contacted the handgun editor at G&A who wrote the review in an attempt to reconcile his review and her experience with the same gun. The G&A editor told her that they had the same problems but figured it was magazine (as in clip related, and wouldn't be mentioned in the review. How many people bought the gun based on the G&A review? Magazines that depend on advertising dollars will always soften their criticism to the point of untruthfulness. Popular Photography was famous for lines like, "The lens evidenced some softness at the edges at wide aperture." This was code for "The thing is a friggin' bottom of a coke bottle."

In your case, it would be interesting to see how much of the Cobra's inaccuracy was a design issue and how much was a one off manufacturing issue. If a one off issue, Colt isn't alone. Smith and Wesson and Ruger both ship some real abominations. Search YouTube for "686 failure"; you can be entertained for hours. Based on experience, I would no longer buy a revolver that I couldn't examine physically at a retailer. Even then you can't be sure. You're fortunate that you got a full refund.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Name:  Disappoint.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  45.1 KB

Seriously disappoint.

On the other hand, Darryl seemed to like his. So maybe you just got a bad one.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 05-03-2018 at 07:05 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Mine has shot good for both me and another individual who borrowed it along with several other guns to try (Colt Cobra, SP 101, etc.). Mine shoots. With that said, I am not shocked. I have seen this sort of thing a lot in the last 20years from many manufactures....horrific inconsistency. This is purely a QC issue. Back in the days when my SiG’s and HK’s came with hand written test targets you didn’t get this crap. I have seen it with EVERYTHING.....some companies just more than others. Local shop got a VP9 that had to go back. My sights are way off on my VP9SK and it needs to go back. Crap consistency for several years is what got me out of Glocks. So yea.....it’s a thing and I agree with not living with lemons, just like new cars.

I think Colt....as they are well known for, have a solid product with dumb decisions on what and how to do things with it. Gun companies, like most gun magazines, are not run by gun people.....nor do they listen to gun people.

Funny about Guns & Ammo. I am working with them on a new project. I got called because it is an alternative to the typical gun reviews and writing glowing reports for advertisers (FYI.....all the magazines do it). They know it is not how I do things. My Colt Cobra was bought off this forum with my money and not a magazine’s. It works. I am not totally shocked that one doesn’t as I know there were some teething problems with them. Someday.......Colt will listen and release an aluminum framed, high quality Night Cobra that really is what everyone wants and if smart.....they would be a custom shop gun with some fitting and extra care. They could do an Agent that is the flat finish and more in line with what they are calling Cobra’s now. Just my .02.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 05-03-2018 at 07:28 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I handled one, and it felt OK. It's a bit on the heavy side. The shop also had an old Cobra next to it. I didn't buy either, but was certainly considering the latter.

Where is that Night Cobra that was supposed to ship in February?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Where is that Night Cobra that was supposed to ship in February?
    Like I told everyone who ribbed me about it......when I see one in my local shop, I ll believe it. I am simply going to have the hammer bobbed on my Stainless and likely be happy with it for what it is. Funny, I have actually gone back to carrying my total beater Agent quite a bit lately for local walks and bike rides. Lightweight, snag free and easily deployed. The 1.5 finger grips are tough to shoot, but great for pocket carry.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 05-03-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Just curious, is there any shop working on the new colts yet? I wanted to get the trigger worked a bit (mostly for the weird fake reset points) and get the hammer bobbed. Mine much like yours is accurate enough. Most loads I shot through it were one hole at 5 yards and about a fist at 25. The hardest part of shooting it for me is dealing with muzzle flip. I love the VZ grips but they seem to flip the worst. If I was carrying it in a primary fashion in a belt holster the standard grips would be ok, but they suck when carrying it as a back up in any fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Like I told everyone who ribbed me about it......when I see one in my local shop, I ll believe it. I am simply going to have the hammer bobbed on my Stainless and likely be happy with it for what it is. Funny, I have actually gone back to carrying my total beater Agent quite a bit lately for local walks and bike rides. Lightweight, snag free and easily deployed. The 1.5 finger grips are tough to shoot, but great for pocket carry.

Site Supporter
    Has Colt dropped the ball? They designed a nice revolver and hopefully will maintain adequate manufacturing proceses to sell good specimens.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Uh, that’s not a beater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List