Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Six vs. seven shot for back country carry revolver

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Six vs. seven shot for back country carry revolver

First of all, I think it's reasonably well established that a USP .45 is probably a better backcountry pistol than a revolver.

With that out of the way, and assuming that "because reasons," someone wanted to do otherwise, like carry a .357 revolver, what does the hive mind think about six vs. seven shots?

Adding a response to the first reply: Generally, the threat concern would be black bear, mountain lion, canines of all shapes and sizes, wild pigs, etc. Four-legged stuff in 48 states outside the northern Rockies. Understood that most of those tend to make themselves scarce - until they don't. Possibly two-legged, but not a primary concern.

Both L frame and GP100 can be had both ways now. One more round vs. departing from standard support gear. Limited selection of configurations. Speed loaders for L frame are available, but not inexpensive. I haven't figured out whether they work for the GP cylinders. I haven't found whether speed strips with the right spacing for seven-shot cylinders are available. If holsters are molded for cylinder flutes, they won't quite fit right.

There's also the eight shot option in an N-frame, but for some reason, I'm not very interested in that. I probably would be, if they made one that looked like this:
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-629
    Tell me why that is wrong, if you have an opinion.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04-26-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

What's your threat? If primarily two legged, I'd go for a semi-auto in 9mm any day over either. If smaller 4-legged concerns are the focus, then I'd probably opt for the 6-shot, because capacity is unlikely to be an issue to handle your problems. Given that, availability of speed loaders, holsters, etc would drive the decision.

If you're in brown bear country, I'd opt for a 4-5" .44 Magnum, but that's just me...

I like the thought of the 586 L-COMP, seven rounds onboard, a PC trigger, and a comp to help tame the extra hot Buffalo Bore 180 gr. you'll likely want to carry. It should fit any holster made for the 686+ 3 inch so getting a holster shouldn't be a problem.

I've been thinking about picking up a .357 as well, and in my research came across this video that discusses the 7-shot GP100 binding with ammo that is within spec.

My understanding is that other people have experienced this as well.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

More rounds is more better.

Site Supporter
    I would do the 6 shot and only because they don't make a safariland speed loader for the 7 shot. I hate HKS style speed loaders with the twist top and only use the comp 2 style loaders. If safariland made them for the 7 shot guns I would say for that.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I would do the 6 shot and only because they don't make a safariland speed loader for the 7 shot. I hate HKS style speed loaders with the twist top and only use the comp 2 style loaders. If safariland made them for the 7 shot guns I would say for that.
    I understand the sentiment, though I may be able get over the dislike of the HKS loaders for a 7 shooter L frame, particularly one of the Mountain Guns with tapered barrel. I think most just go to moon clips for the 7 shooters, which may be a workable option.

A friend and his brother used to shoot 7 shooter 686s in some competitions. His brother was a tool and die maker, and hand built some 7 shot safariland type loaders for them to use. Unless someone else tried that, they may be the only ones that exist for a 7 shooter L frame.

FWIW, I also find I like the L frame 357 better than the N frame. Not sure why exactly, but whevever I handle a 357 cal N frame I keep thinking what it would take to make it a 44 spl (barrel and rebore cylinder, or different cylinder).
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-26-2018 at 07:06 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've seen rims that are not concentric to the case walls before, but that's not encouraging. Seems like the bomb proofness that is a key GP attraction has been compromised. Maybe a 686 Plus would be the safe call for seven rounds.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04-26-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have a fantastic M-19 that is awesome, so I "need" a "reason" to "rationalize" another 357.

I sorta want a GP-100 and a seven shot version might be the "reason" that I "need" to "rationalize" getting one...

I am holding out for a 5"...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-26-2018 at 07:04 PM.

I have owned two different seven shot 686 L frames over the years and disposed of both because of the speedloader issue described above. I hate HKS, love comp 1, 2, or 3. I figure most of the problems I need to solve are getting solved in 6 just as likely as 7, but if I need to reload, I really need to reload fast and reliably, and for me that means a Comp II.

I have the L frame 6 shot comp 2 loaders and they work just as well for my GP100 as they do for my ancient 681. There are days I am wandering in the Talladega National Forrest with one of those guns plus 3 speedloaders...it is black bear country although they are rarely seen.

User Tag List