Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith 3rd Gen Experts...

Site Supporter

Smith 3rd Gen Experts...

Here's a fun one:

Black finish (melonite, I'd guess)
    Front slide serrations

Anyone got the scoop on these? It's for sale in Indiana, not terribly far from me. I'm in that "I really shouldn't, but I could probably make it work" space. Obviously, these are pretty rare. Is this something worth jumping on? I mean... assuming the guy agrees to meet at an FFL or ship it... etc.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I carried a 4566 on uniformed patrol in the 90's--worked well.

Parts are now scarce.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 06-08-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I carried a 4566 on uniformed patrol in the 90's--worked well.

Parts are now scarce.
    Cool. Thanks. Definitely a solid gun. Just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about these special melonite examples. I googled it... and the ones that come up don't have forward cocking serrations. So these could be pretty rare. If that's the case, he's got a priced pretty low for what could potentially be a collector's item. If it's legit.

Sigh... I'm talking myself into it. I gotta send the guy a message.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 06-08-2017 at 12:56 PM.

My first issued duty gun was one of the melonited 4566s. It did not have the forward cocking serrations though. If it's any help, the serial range for that agency's guns was RJF31xx. I heard rumors of PC made versions that had a Briley bushing and forward serrations. Perhaps this is one of the PC guns?
    Last edited by DpdG; 06-08-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    My first issued duty gun was one of the melonited 4566s. It did not have the forward cocking serrations though. If it's any help, the serial range for that agency's guns was RJF31xx. I heard rumors of PC made versions that had a Briley bushing and forward serrations. Perhaps this is one of the PC guns?
    Thanks.

Yeah, maybe it is a PC gun. Or maybe they just used leftover slides from the PC guns.

Maybe the guy doesn't know what he has...

In addition to the normal stainless 4566's, we had some of the aluminum framed melonited PC ones with the forward serrations and Briley bushings.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    In addition to the normal stainless 4566's, we had some of the aluminum framed melonited PC ones with the forward serrations and Briley bushings.
    Nice. Here's an old listing for one of those:

http://chesterfieldarmament.com/products/sw-4566pc

To be honest, I'm usually not a huge fan of front serrations on guns that aren't P30s, PX4s or other space age guns. But these still look pretty cool.

Not that looks have an bearing on functionality.

Might check over on the S&Wesson forum. Several experts over there. I know there's been several threads over the years on Melonite 4566's.
    Last edited by 396; 06-08-2017 at 03:23 PM.

The factory Melonite 4566 are collector's items. There is a lot of conflicting information out there, mostly because these guns were never cataloged items. It is known that the West Virginia State Police (WVSP) ordered lots of them, many that have WVSP rollmarks. There have also been small batches released that are popular. One batch of 300 (??) known has "KJF" as the serial number prefix. Another batch has the "RJF" serial number prefix.

User Tag List