Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta BU9 Nano

Beretta BU9 Nano

I have a Beretta Nano ordered, should be here by the end of next week.
    I was looking for a flat single stack 9mm for low profile AIWB.
    The Walther PPS is nice but a little larger than what I'm looking for (I already have a Kahr CW9) and I still don't like the fact that removing the backstrap disables the gun.
    I have a Kahr PM9 that I use for pocket carry, but their little slide stop spring arrangement is fragile. While my PM9 hasn't had a problem with it yet, one of my other Kahrs was turned into a jammomatic when the spring was ever so slightly bent on re-assembly. When you factor in that the screw that secures the spring is threaded directly into the polymer frame, it's not a confidence inspiring setup.
    My research shows the Nano has it's share of issues as well, but they seem to be primarily function issues with the Wal-Mart Federal Champion ammo (which I stopped using after having my own problems with it in "real" guns).
    I played around with a Nano and like the build quality, the size is right and the trigger feels very Kahr/LEM like.
    Not having a slide stop lever will take some getting used to, but isn't a deal killer for my intended purpose. It's one of the trade offs for having such a slick sided, flat gun.
    One thing that sealed the deal was discovering the Nano has a built in "gadget" of sorts.
    The striker block begins to protrude from the top of the slide just in front of the rear sight as the trigger is pulled.
    Covering that with my thumb on re-holstering should give me a tactile indicator of any trigger movement, which is a good thing.
    Here's a video I found that shows this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28qXSbyra5w

I have 500 rounds of 124gr. Winchester NATO FMJ and 100 rounds of Federal 124gr. HST standing by for function testing.
    Hopefully I'll have a positive report on this thing next week.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-11-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Cool. Have you seen the vid Beretta put out of the guy firing 1,000rds continuously through a supposedly bone dry Nano. If it was truly bone try, that is pretty impressive and means that the Nano has the ability to be reliable. As with any gun these days, it seems to be luck of the draw when it comes to QC issues.

I've seen the video.
    But i also know that in house videos can be... "edited for content" if you know what I mean.

My Kahr K9 is currently filling in as my "low pro" carry gun, but it's a heavy little bugger for its size.
    My problem with the K9 is rust believe it or not. If I carry it in hot weather I have to remove the grips and wipe down the frame regularly or else rust starts forming on the stainless frame.
    Btw: the K9 has a completely different slide stop spring arrangement than the other Kahrs and it's a far more robust design.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-11-2012 at 12:07 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Site Supporter
    I handled a Nano and really the way it felt and how sleek it was. There is a good thread over on sigforum following the nanon with several reports on them. I wish it had a slide lock lever though.

Interesting little gun. I have an LCP that I frequently carry in a pocket holster...sometimes with an XDSC, sometimes not. I would interested in the Nano if it's proven to be a reliable alternative for a pocket carry. Beretta is a quality company, but I know that sometimes there are some 'bugs' to get worked out on new guns.

Got the Nano in today and took it to the range for a shake down.

First impressions:
    Solid little pistol, appears to be well made with no machine marks or mold lines visible.
    Looks and feels larger than it is. I was amazed when I placed it next to my PM9 and saw that they are almost identical in size, with the Nano only fractionally longer in the slide and grip (maybe 1/16").
    The Nano weighs in at 560g with magazine. In comparison the PM9 is 470g, a Glock 26 is 617g. and the Kahr K9 is 738g.
    While it's not a true pocket pistol it can go anywhere a PM9 can go, which is in most cargo pants and shorts.
    The trigger feels like a slightly longer, heavier Kahr trigger (real close to a Kahr "New York" trigger).
    For my intended use I really like the completely snag free design. It's almost perfectly flat with no protruding buttons or levers.
    The striker safety that protrudes from the top of the slide as the trigger is pulled makes for an excellent "gadget" you can cover with your thumb when holstering up.

Range time:
    150 rounds of Winchester 124gr. NATO FMJ
    20 rounds of Winchester PDX1 124gr.+P JHP
    20 rounds of Federal 124gr. HST JHP

The gun was wiped down, lubed with a few drops of Mobil-1 and then straight to the range.
    Somewhere around the 140 round mark I had a FTE from the NATO ammo, that was the only malfunction.
    Clearing the FTE without a slide stop lever was no big deal, I just treated it like a Glock Type-3 (hold down the mag release, rip out the mag, rack the slide, reload).
    All other rounds ejected in a neat little pile 4' away at around 3 o'clock, so the FTE was surprising considering how consistent the rest of the rounds ejected.
    Accuracy was excellent. Not just excellent for a pocket pistol, but excellent for any pistol.
    At 5 yards I stacked a full magazine through a hole you could cover with a quarter, at 25 yards all rounds were in a IDPA box head despite the gusty winds we were having today.
    Draw to hit a IDPA -0 was <2 sec. at 7-10 yards from a HighNoon Mr.Softy AIWB, not exactly a speedy range holster but decent for ultra low profile AIWB carry.
    Follow-up shot splits were in the .40 range for -0's at 7-10 yards (similar to what my PM9 splits are).
    SHO and WHO was easier than with the PM9, head shots at 10 yards were no problem.

Conclusion:
    The Nano is everything I was hoping for in a ultra low profile carry pistol. It'll cover my pocket, ankle and AIWB low-pro needs perfectly and will make a great BUG.
    I should be able to replace a Kahr K9, CW9 and PM9 with the Nano. It pockets as easily as the PM9, weighs significantly less than the K9 and carries AIWB like the CW9.
    The FTE is the fly in the ointment.
    1 in the first few hundred rounds isn't a big deal as long as it doesn't become a regular occurrence.
    Once I break the 500 round mark I don't want to see more than a 1:1000 malfunction rate, we'll see how the Nano stacks up as the round count builds.
    My initial gut feeling is the extractor could use some more tension. If I have any more FTE's I'll investigate ways to increase the tension and go from there.

edit:
    While cleaning the Nano a large flake of crud came out of the extractor hook. So either it was there from the start, it was a rogue chunk, or the extractor is prone to accumulating crud.
    It's something to keep an eye on and may help explain the FTE at the 140 round mark.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-21-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the range report. Is your Kahr capable of 1:1000 malfunction rate?

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Thanks for the range report. Is your Kahr capable of 1:1000 malfunction rate?
    My PM9 has not had a single malfunction is several thousand rounds.
    On the other hand I owned a P380 that was a complete and utter disaster and my T9 has been a pain as well.
    The P380 went back to Kahr 4 times with no resolution. I finally sold it for a loss with full disclosure because I was sick of dealing with it.
    The T9 has had the slide replaced twice (both were supposedly "out of spec") it may be fixed now but I haven't put enough rounds through it since it was returned to be sure.

There are a few things I don't trust about the Kahr PM9.
    • The weak magazine release button, I haven't had a problem but it doesn't take much to eject a magazine.
    • The cheesy magazine floorplates, again it hasn't been a problem but the floorplates can be pushed off fairly easily.
    • The magazines have a habit of letting the top round walk it's way out, even in a mag carrier.
    • The slide stop spring is fragile and the slightest tweak on it will cause major malfunctions, my PM9 hasn't had a problem with it but my CW9 and my T9 have both suffered from a slightly bent spring.

My P380 and T9 experiences have soured me on Kahr despite my PM9's performance.
    I probably won't get rid of the PM9 or the K9, but everything else is probably gonna go.

Did you look at the Sig P290? If so, what were it's pros and cons compared to the Nano?

Ditto on the P380. Huge piece of crap....I loved everything about it, except it just didn't work. The longest it ever went without a failure was 70 rounds.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Jody, I was wondering if there were any updates worthy of note on how your Nano is running and your impressions after a spell now?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List