Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FYI- police trade in beretta 92Ds on gunbroker

Site Supporter

FYI- police trade in beretta 92Ds on gunbroker

Title says it all. Get them while you can. I don’t think they are currently available new. You never know when age or injuries will cause hand damage making a handgun like this a good idea. I ordered 3. I don’t know what they look like in person but I see one going to robar for NP3.

If I did not already own one, I would be on it...

How much did you pay?

Sadly... back in the day, when we handed in our issued 96s, I had boxes full of old beretta .40 cal mags I could not give away... But that was 15 years ago, or I would hook you up.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Most of them are $399

Site Supporter
    Oh my damn.

I guess I'm snagging a couple more 20 shot J frames..
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Proper enabling requires links:

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...ds=Beretta+92D

If I didn’t already have 5 92Ds (that I paid a LOT more for), I’d be buying another (or two).
    What would you compare the trigger to ?

P250, DAK , S&W DAO, revolver??

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What would you compare the trigger to ?

P250, DAK , S&W DAO, revolver??
    Worked over S&W DAO wheelgun.
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

Quote Originally Posted by e_stern View Post
    Worked over S&W DAO wheelgun.
    Absolutely correct- as on a classic Smith & Wesson, after it's been worked on by a master gunsmith.(Like pretty much anything in Dagga Boy's collection, I'd surmise).

Best, Jon

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I looked at what's there, and compared it to past sales not from massive trade-in dumps, and I think if you're patient, you can get a nicer pistol for less money.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

A couple of observations from the Gunbroker images:

Most appear to have Trijicon nightsights. While they're likely dimmed through radioactive decay over time (unless they had renewed tritium capsules), they're still an excellent sight.

I suspect the one(s) with safety levers are not 92DS models (as reportedly only some 800 of those were manufactured), but Beretta-modified pistols with movable, but non-functioning safety levers.

The pistols shown with magazines appear to be Check-Mate magazines, which I personally like, but given the apparent floorplate wear have been subject to some vigorous use; the magazines should probably be considered a replaceable item on receipt, or at least subject to a detailed functioning check.

Except for some organizational special orders/contracts, the 92D was produced only from 1992 - 1998. Some organizational 92Ds were also produced with a magazine safety/disconnect, but I believe that was only for one agency, so these likely don't have them. If they do have the disconnect, I seem to recall that a magazine tube sheet metal modification was required.

These guns SHOULD have at least the 2nd generation of locking blocks, but it's worthwhile checking to ascertain. If in doubt, simply order the current generation locking block kit from BUSA, but have it properly fitted.

Judging by the images (I carefully looked at a few, but not all of them), the slide rollmarkings seem to be those of Beretta commercial guns, not the Police Special ones. While the content and specifics of what constituted a Police Special varied over time (and quite possibly over contracts), generally for most of their production Police Special guns potentially had more visible milling marks on the top of the slides, as the cutters were allowed to be used for longer periods before being switched out. There was a rollmarked facsimile of a police shield with the letters "PS" inside the shield, and the "PB" oval rollmark font was simpler than the commercial "PB" font. Functionally and operationally these were just as good a any other 92, although they were sold at a lower price (due to aesthetics and slightly decreased manufacturing costs). Additionally, these tended to come with 3 15 round Beretta magazines with metal floorplates. Sights were both Trijicon or Beretta. My old 92D Centurion Police Special came with the Beretta non-tritium hemisphere rear sight. While the Police Special guns were a contract option, I suspect many organizations simply ordered the non-Police Special models; I suspect that the price differential between the two wasn't huge.

By definition, due to production timeframe, these guns will come with the all-steel triggers, safety levers, lanyard loop and recoil spring guide. The all-steel trigger is critical if you want to use the Wolff TCU instead of the trigger return spring.

Needless to say, 92Ds came with the 16 lb mainspring, which came to be known as the "D spring." (the standard 92 mainspring on a 92 is 20 lbs).

On these (and on pretty much any used Beretta 92) I'd recommend immediately replacing the trigger return spring (my suggestion would be to go with the Wilson Combat chrome silicon lifetime one, or the Wolff TCU {also sold through WC, but with more options from Wolff on their site}), the triggerbar spring, the slide stop/release spring (get the Wolff one, it's easier to install due to having a longer leg than the OEM Beretta one). Extractor and firing pin springs are likely just fine, but if you're truly OCD, I'd suggest the WC chrome silicon ones.

Other recommended improvements are the WC Ultimate Tune kit, or the Langdon Trigger Job In A Bag kit, and a set of Langdon grips (or Ergo {hard rubber} or the larger/standard VZ/Wilson Combat grips {G10} if you have larger hands).

Most people have absolutely no idea just how intrinsically excellent a 92D is. Here's a chance for some to put their toe in the water at a reasonable price.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-02-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    Of course. Of course. I finally cave and buy my first gun-related thing of 2018 (an M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm) and this is literally the next thing I see.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List