Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $500ish Binoculars @ Cabela's

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I bought a pair of the Vortex Viper HD's last year for a safari hunt. I am very pleased with them, no complaints. I got 10x50s. I was looking a lower model and made the mistake of comparing... upsold myself instantly.
    Fan of Vortex, as well.

Leupold BX-4 ..... 8 or 10 power depending on your needs. My personal choice; I prefer 8x for general purposes inside of 200 yards and 10x for longer distance viewing.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 05-03-2018 at 07:29 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Go to a bird/wildlife watching forum and check their recommendations on quality glass at that price point. https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Hunting forums will be hit or miss for info like this. Often binos are chosen by hunters based on which ones come in their favorite camo pattern, or which Outdoor channel celebrity says they're good.
    Wow, that place is like P-F, but with binoculars instead of pistols. After a couple of hours there I gathered the following: 1) Different glass works for different people, try before you buy. 2) Every brand sucks. Even the pricey ones. 3) Your choice really sucked... 4) unless you spent $2500+, then your choice only kinda sucked. 5) They have people that are the equivalent of Dagga Boy and GJM, that have tried it all and offer solid advice. 6) You get what you pay for... 7) but advances in glass and coatings means less expensive options are pretty close to premium binoculars from 15-20 years ago. A "Golden Age" if you will.

I wish they had the "Glock 19" concept and a list of recommended binoculars.

Quote Originally Posted by Newportl View Post
    I was in the exact same spot @Cabelas, and wound up with the house brand 8x42 Cabelas HD Binos. Amazing glass for the money, and a lifetime warranty. I compared the Vortex Razor HD, Viper HD, and the Leupold in 8x42 and thought the Cabelas Intensity HD were just as good as the Viper HD. Don't overlook these!
    I was thinking that I was going to have a hard time looking through everything on my list due to time constraints and having the kids there, but most of my original list is out of stock or limited stock. For some I might have to look at at the 10x instead to actually use it. I'll be able to look through the Cabela's.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Leupold BX-4 ..... 8 or 10 power depending on your needs. My personal choice; I prefer 8x for general purposes inside of 200 yards and 10x for longer distance viewing.
    The glass quality on the BX-4 was given high marks on birdforum. My only (mild) concern is the listed FOV is way less than the Nikon. However, I sometimes wear glasses and the eye relief is just enough better than the Nikon to matter. Until I get to look through and play with everything, I am leaning toward the Leupold or Nikon. I do need to compare warranties before I go this weekend.

Name:  8x42 Comparison.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  60.2 KB

Looking at my chart, it appears that the Styrka and Vortex are the same optics in different packaging. The Styrkas were also the most expensive. I suppose it's possible to be the same lenses with better coatings, or a better mechanicals to justify the cost differential. But since they are not in stock at any Cabela's, that rules them out for me as I'm not going to be the guinea pig for a new company.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    Wow, that place is like P-F, but with binoculars instead of pistols. After a couple of hours there I gathered the following: 1) Different glass works for different people, try before you buy. 2) Every brand sucks. Even the pricey ones. 3) Your choice really sucked... 4) unless you spent $2500+, then your choice only kinda sucked. 5) They have people that are the equivalent of Dagga Boy and GJM, that have tried it all and offer solid advice. 6) You get what you pay for... 7) but advances in glass and coatings means less expensive options are pretty close to premium binoculars from 15-20 years ago. A "Golden Age" if you will.

I wish they had the "Glock 19" concept and a list of recommended binoculars.
    Yeah the first time I went there to research binos I was a bit overwhelmed. I bought a pair of 8x42 Minox and they've served me well for my needs. I'd used a pair of $40 department store Bushnell's for years prior and thought they were the cat's meow until I got the Minox.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Minox-BF-8x...4AAOSwQiFadEWH

My "G19" field glasses are Fujinon Mariner 7x50, model WP-XL. Excellent resolution and color, bright image and good low light performance, simple and durable lightweight design due to individual eye focus adjustment. Eye relief is fine if eye cups are folded back.

Depth of field is excellent and almost has a 3D pop. I was originally suspicious of the slow individual eye focus methof but the depth of field (at least with my family's eyes) requires infrequent adjustment. A non-issue if you use them at a regular distance.

I'm kind of a 7x50 nut, have Steiner police, 2 other Fujinon marine and government models. The Mariners are hands down my all around affordable high res favorite.

My all time fav handheld has to be the Canon IS models.

Beyond that, and if digiscoping is not a need, a rifle scope investment is smarter bang for my buck.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Yeah the first time I went there to research binos I was a bit overwhelmed. I bought a pair of 8x42 Minox and they've served me well for my needs. I'd used a pair of $40 department store Bushnell's for years prior and thought they were the cat's meow until I got the Minox.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Minox-BF-8x...4AAOSwQiFadEWH
    I have a set of Minox 8x42, the next model up from these but great glass. The replaced my 10x Leupold s as my work binos.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    My "G19" field glasses are Fujinon Mariner 7x50, model WP-XL. Excellent resolution and color, bright image and good low light performance, simple and durable lightweight design due to individual eye focus adjustment. Eye relief is fine if eye cups are folded back.

Depth of field is excellent and almost has a 3D pop. I was originally suspicious of the slow individual eye focus methof but the depth of field (at least with my family's eyes) requires infrequent adjustment. A non-issue if you use them at a regular distance.

I'm kind of a 7x50 nut, have Steiner police, 2 other Fujinon marine and government models. The Mariners are hands down my all around affordable high res favorite.
    I got my mom 7x50s for her back-field wildlife viewing. No need to carry them, and most critters come out in the evening, so low-light performance took priority.

Site Supporter
    Due to my self imposed time constraints, I didn't look through a ton of binoculars. I looked through the 8x42 Viper HDs, Monarch 7, and the Cabela's Intensity HD. There were no 8x42 BX-4, so I looked at the 10x42.

The much cheaper Intensity HD were pretty good, but didn't have the image quality that the Viper HDs had. Not that it's surprising that 2.5x the money gives better image quality.

Both the Monarch 7 and the BX-4 gave me fits, as I couldn't see 100% edge to edge. Both units had a crescent shaped foggy area on the edge from 6-9 o'clock in the left barrel. The Monarch 7 were the worst, with the crescent taking about 10% of the field diameter at it's widest point. The Intensity HD had a small amount of this effect. Neither my wife or the guy behind the counter had issues, so it's me. But I had no similar issues with the Viper HDs. I really wanted the BX-4 to win, but the Vortex Viper HDs were far and away the winner for me.

The kinda knowledgeable old guy behind the counter said 7 out of 10 that come in and look at this class of glass walked out with the Vortex. As soon as they run a good promotion, I will as well. Unless a really neat used gun appears on their racks, then all bets are off.
    Last edited by Toonces; 05-06-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Anybody have any idea about Ziess’s warranty service compares to Leupold and and Vortex?

Looking at their Terra ED’s, Vortex Vipers and the Leupold BX-4
    David S.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List