Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $500ish Binoculars @ Cabela's

Site Supporter

$500ish Binoculars @ Cabela's

Greetings P-F,

I'm looking for recommendations on a decent pair of binoculars in the $500 +/- $100 range. My 25 year old $100 Nikons have been found lacking in color and resolution. The main use will be watching animals in our yard/pond. They will be used for deer hunting out of a blind. They will also be occasionally used while hiking.

I'm thinking 8x42, but would consider 10x42 if considered "better". Everything on the list below has a 8x42 and 10x42 available. Some also have 8x30. I haven't been impressed with smaller binoculars in the past, but I've never used a quality pair, so the 8x30 entries are not immediately out of the running.

Due to gift certificates and Cabela's Visa credit, only items available at Cabela's are in the running. I'm going to be at a Cabela's this weekend to actually look through everything available on the list below. I'm expecting that they will all be nice, so if there are things that make people recommend one over another, I'd like your opinion.

Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide

Nikon Monarch 7

Steiner Predator

Styrka S7

Vortex Viper HD

Zeiss Terra HD

Thanks in advance,

Toonces

I bought a pair of the Vortex Viper HD's last year for a safari hunt. I am very pleased with them, no complaints. I got 10x50s. I was looking a lower model and made the mistake of comparing... upsold myself instantly.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I must have sold over 40 pairs of Leupold BX-1/2s over the years, most of them in 8x32 or 8x42. The 8x32 BX-1 Yosemite is about perfect for bird-watching/wildlife snooping/hunting under 200m.

In my experience you want three things with binos: clarity, good field of view, light weight.

If the counter in the kitchen is holding them up, weight is the latter consideration.

What is the distance you're usually looking at? If it's less than 300-yards, 6-8x magnification will likely do quite well. Don't be surprised if whatever you look at, in the store, is less impressive. The bottom line is, inside the store sight lines are limited and lighting is mediocre. But when you're there, pick out something large, as far as you can see, and compare field of view.

Remember, all things being equal, greater magnification = smaller field of view.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Bigger objective = better performance in low light.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Don't forget to hit the "bargain cave" wile your there!!! sometimes there are LOTS of great deals in there on binos
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

I was in the exact same spot @Cabelas, and wound up with the house brand 8x42 Cabelas HD Binos. Amazing glass for the money, and a lifetime warranty. I compared the Vortex Razor HD, Viper HD, and the Leupold in 8x42 and thought the Cabelas Intensity HD were just as good as the Viper HD. Don't overlook these!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I bought a pair of the Vortex Viper HD's last year for a safari hunt. I am very pleased with them, no complaints. I got 10x50s. I was looking a lower model and made the mistake of comparing... upsold myself instantly.
    Last summer there was a Nikon display at Gander Mountain with the Monarch 3, 5, and 7 sitting next to each other. Looking across the store at some mounted animals, it was easy to see that the image quality went up with price. However, I'm drawing the line around $500ish, because they will be much better than what I'm used to using and effectively "free". While I do want Swarovski ELs, I'm not willing to spend 5x my current budget.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I must have sold over 40 pairs of Leupold BX-1/2s over the years, most of them in 8x32 or 8x42. The 8x32 BX-1 Yosemite is about perfect for bird-watching/wildlife snooping/hunting under 200m.

In my experience you want three things with binos: clarity, good field of view, light weight.

If the counter in the kitchen is holding them up, weight is the latter consideration.

What is the distance you're usually looking at? If it's less than 300-yards, 6-8x magnification will likely do quite well. Don't be surprised if whatever you look at, in the store, is less impressive. The bottom line is, inside the store sight lines are limited and lighting is mediocre. But when you're there, pick out something large, as far as you can see, and compare field of view.

Remember, all things being equal, greater magnification = smaller field of view.
    The kitchen fireplace mantle will be holding them up 99% of the time, so weight is the least important to me. These are primarily going to be house binoculars, so if we go for a hike and they are like carrying a cinder block, I'll buy something smaller/lighter for hiking.

I'm guessing the far side of the pond is about 90 yards from the house. The pond is South of the house, and the far edge is shadowed by trees in the morning, which is when most of the interesting critters are spotted. I'm going to be lucky if the far end of the future shooting lane will be 200 yards, so for the intended use everything will be pretty close.

My wife and I have had good luck using the knots and grain pattern on the wooden ceiling beams at Cabela's to compare optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Don't forget to hit the "bargain cave" wile your there!!! sometimes there are LOTS of great deals in there on binos
    Good reminder. The possibility of paying a lot less for the grade I'm looking at, or getting a higher grade in my target price range, is pretty good.

Go to a bird/wildlife watching forum and check their recommendations on quality glass at that price point. https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Hunting forums will be hit or miss for info like this. Often binos are chosen by hunters based on which ones come in their favorite camo pattern, or which Outdoor channel celebrity says they're good.

they aint cheap... but the leica Govids will be the next binos I buy Ive had ALL the great ones Swaros Lupys etc. I had a set that I sold when a friend offered way to much $ for them on a hunt once and have never replaced them.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

I Own Nikon's MONARCH 7 bino's in 10x42 that I use for hunting and the Monarch 7 8x30's which I keep with me when I'm not deer hunting. The Monarch 7 8x30's are semi-compact and carry easily around your neck. They are definitely worth taking a look at plus at sub $380 you'll have $ left over to check out rangefinders. Gotta love Cabela's bucks! If you are looking for a full size bino check out the MONARCH 7 10x42's and you'll see they give you a lot for your $.

User Tag List