Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any left-handed revolver shooters out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Wheeler,

A sub-three second reload is still very fast. I recall when we thought that five to six seconds with a speedloader was a par time reload (back in the old days of duty revolver carry).
    Thanks Wayne. My goal is to get as fast as Jerry Mickulek I know, I know, I have a loooong way to go.

It's not as consistent as it used to be, comes from only shooting IDPA once a month and treating it as a social event. Gotta get my mindset right again.

Wheeler
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Semi-lefty here, though I usually shoot DA better in right-hand mode, and my default primary carry position is at 0300.

When training with my smaller-framed DA revolvers, I use Michael deBethencourt's right-hand reload. His reload starts with the hands coming together on either side of the weapon, and at that point, if the gun is in the left hand, it switches to my right hand for the duration of the reload. If time is of the esssence, I would come up shooting after the reload with the right hand, unless it was a LH-only exercise.

Two handgun types I shoot notably better as a lefty are the Glock, and the SAA, along with other such SA six-guns. How is the SAA for being anachronistic? This is not to say I tote SA sixguns for defensive purposes at this time; my chief won't let me qual with SA revolvers, and considers off-the-clock defensive encounters to be line-of-duty, and therefore subject to all PD rules.

I am a LH revolver shooter.

I too have a safe full of S&W revolvers in 357, 40 (not a typo), 44, & 45ACP. I also have some 1911 45s, Glock 17, 19, 26, 22, 20, M&P9 Pro series, etc. A good revolver man can beat most ipsc and idpa shooters in a local match. A good revolver shooter is certainly capable of defending himself. Pistols are certainly easier to conceal, quicker to reload, and many pistols are very reliable. It is the man not the machine that makes the difference. Where have I heard that before. I usually have a S&W M340 in my left front pocket or a pistol on my left hip, depending on the weather and my choice of clothes for the day. I am retired Federal LE.

I certainly do not feel at a disadvantage with my Model 12. The best way I can summarize the advantage a good revolver shooter has over a good semi-auto shooter is; A revolver shooter does not have the luxury of make-up shots. I'm not the fastest on the draw by any reasonable stretch, but I always have in the back of my head that with 6 in the gun, they need to count, regardless of the scenario, be it in a match or in a defensive situation. To further reinforce that, and to misquote Cluade Werner; Reloads are not as important as the rounds that are fired.

A blazing fast reload of 2.3 seconds means your gun and your mind are out of the fight for 2.5 seconds. If your reloading to get the gun back into the fight, chances are your shots didn't count for much to begin with.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Left eye dominant and a left handed shooter with both handguns and long-guns. However I am right handed for almost everything else though I do wear a wristwatch on my right wrist. I am also a big revolver fan especially S&W and Colt DA models though I have developed a fondness for Ruger in the past few years. As a police officer I've had more than a few people express surprise when they observe me writing with my right hand (something officers do frequently) even though I carry on my left and there is that wristwatch on my right wrist.

Over the years I've gotten pretty adept at shooting revolvers. When it's time to reload I put the revolver in my right hand and use my left hand to eject the empties and then reload the cylinder. Over time I've gotten pretty smooth at it, but it's really just academic. I carry a GLOCK 19 both on and off duty. In the case of the G19 I just leave it in my left hand when it's time to reload. I also moved the magazine release button to the right side of the pistol.

User Tag List