Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any left-handed revolver shooters out there?

Any left-handed revolver shooters out there?

I was curious if there were any lefties out there that were as much an anachronism as I am, specifically by being partial to revolvers for carry and for competition. I would love to compare notes.

Wheeler
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Lefty and love to shoot revolvers but I don't carry them.

To make matters worse I'm right eye dom.
    Randy P.

About Me

Quote Originally Posted by randypollock View Post
    Lefty and love to shoot revolvers but I don't carry them.

To make matters worse I'm right eye dom.
    Do your shoot any competitions with revolvers or more of a casual target type shooting?

How do you work past the right eye dominance?
    Julius Caesar

I am hoping to shoot some kind of matches this year..that's the goal, but if I do it will still be with a pistol.

I have just learned to move my sight picture to that eye and to be honest it's not that bad...but it did take a long time to get that way.

I also give a lot of credit to playing the piano as a kid (had to take lessons for 13 years) as it taught me to not just depend on one hand as it helped me to develop both hands, right foot and eyes.
    Randy P.

About Me

I shot a Smith 646 in IDPA for awhile several years back when I was still active in competitions. I enjoyed the revolver more than any weapon I've ever shoot. In my opinion, trying to master the double action trigger made me a much better shooter overall. I would have zero issues carrying my 625 as a duty weapon if need be. A lefty reload with a moon clip revolver can be extemely fast and efficient.

i'm also a lefty and right eye dominant, no formal training so i've probably got plenty of bad habits. i also just try and move the sight picture to that eye. i usually shoot revolvers in more of a casual at the range setting but have done some practice PPC rounds.

Matt Griffin is a USPSA GM in Revolver and a lefty. He's got some really good videos online about how to overcome some of the challenges in being a lefty wheelgunner.

I will have to check it out...a random search on youtube showed him shooting but I didn't see the videos of instructions..does he have a website? or did you mean a DVD series?
    Randy P.

About Me

Quote Originally Posted by randypollock View Post
    I will have to check it out...a random search on youtube showed him shooting but I didn't see the videos of instructions..does he have a website? or did you mean a DVD series?
    randy, here's one of his reload by the numbers;

http://www.ouchland.com.au/Closeup-l...XtmQjSWEo.html
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I'm a lefty, right eye dominant, revolver shooter/lover, too! I have a safe full of S&W (pre-lock) revolvers in many flavors that I shoot, hunt with and carry.

Reviewing the Griffin reload is fun, but is truly oriented towards a moon clipped competition gun instead of a carry gun. That single finger ejection stroke at less than a vertical orientation is a sure way to stick a case in a J frame or to get a case under the ejector star.

For a defensive gun, I push the cylinder open with my right hand thumb, wrapping the rest of my right hand and fingers around the trigger guard and frame. The revolver is then oriented muzzle straight up and the ejector rod is SMACKED with the heel of my left palm. This accelerates the fired cases out of the chambers instead of simply pushing them out and the vertical orientation allows gravity to do its job most efficiently. The gun is then oriented muzzle straight down, the cylinders reloaded by whatever means and then it's closed smoothly and the grip re-established. Not as sexy, but much more dependable.

User Tag List