View Poll Results: Which do you Recommend?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the AR buy the 1301 next year

52 92.86%
  • Sell the AR buy a 1301 and hope you don;t regret it

4 7.14%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Your Input is Requested

Site Supporter
    Well I decided on the 1301 COMP model, and the versatility is what swayed me. I think that if you will or think you will spend time hunting, or shooting clay sports with it, the Comp model may be better for you.
    To me beads feel right on a shotgun and I know how to use them. Trying to shoot slugs at range is not a great way to use a bead sight.

Not being able to adjust your sights to match POI/POA may also be a downside. I have not had any problems though all of the different bird and buck loads are centered pretty well on mine.

I am happy with my choice, I would love the shorter barrel though.

I am thinking about buying the TAC model to complement it, or a cheap 870 to get experience with rifle/open sights. But if you were to limit me to one shotgun the Comp model is what I would choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnalis Discipulo View Post
    Well I decided on the 1301 COMP model, and the versatility is what swayed me. I think that if you will or think you will spend time hunting, or shooting clay sports with it, the Comp model may be better for you.
    To me beads feel right on a shotgun and I know how to use them. Trying to shoot slugs at range is not a great way to use a bead sight.

Not being able to adjust your sights to match POI/POA may also be a downside. I have not had any problems though all of the different bird and buck loads are centered pretty well on mine.

I am happy with my choice, I would love the shorter barrel though.

I am thinking about buying the TAC model to complement it, or a cheap 870 to get experience with rifle/open sights. But if you were to limit me to one shotgun the Comp model is what I would choose.
    Did you go with the 21" or 24" model?

I have limited time behind a shotgun but I have used both a bead and the XS GRS. The ghost rings are definitely nicer when shooting slugs at ~50 yrs but the bead is still plenty useable IMO. I figure I'd probably replace the F/O with one of those larger "triangle" inserts.

Site Supporter
    I went with the 21" I think that would be about the maximum length I for want defensive purposes. I shot a 100 in the Rangemaster Shotgun Instructor course last weekend, so I dont think the bead is a huge problem at these ranges, but the longest shots were 25 yards. Mine seems to shoot everything I have fed it with pretty well, even the S&B and Fiocci buck did ok especially when I can adjust chokes, although flight control is worlds better.
    Which triangle inserts?
    Last edited by Nocturnalis Discipulo; 05-08-2018 at 11:18 AM.

I went with the 21" I think that would be about the maximum length I for want defensive purposes. I shot a 100 in the Rangemaster Shotgun Instructor course last weekend, so I dont think the bead is a huge problem at these ranges, but the longest shots were 25 yards. Mine seems to shoot everything I have fed it with pretty well, even the S&B and Fiocci buck did ok especially when I can adjust chokes, although flight control is worlds better.
    Which triangle inserts?
    I couldn't think of who made them. They come on the Taran Tactical shotguns.

They have lots of different options here http://www.hivizsights.com/product-c...sights/page/2/

Primarily this one http://www.hivizsights.com/product/tricomp/
    Last edited by NPV; 05-08-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I couldn't think of who made them. They come on the Taran Tactical shotguns.

They have lots of different options here http://www.hivizsights.com/product-c...sights/page/2/

Primarily this one http://www.hivizsights.com/product/tricomp/
    Thanks, I hadn't seen those. I am going to have to pick one up and try out they look interesting.

I did vote to keep the AR and save up for the 1301.

One thing that Tom Givens was talking about in the instructor class was serving size. A serving size being what it takes to end a fight, 3-5 shots for AR's, 3-4 shots for pistols, but 1 shot for shotguns. Shotgun fights in his experience never took more than 2 hits and never more than one solid hit. Obviously blowing off a fat roll won't be lethal, but the second shot to the chest tends to end things decisively.

Thinking about the number of servings in a shotgun may be even more relevant in a ban state than otherwise. Having 6 in the gun and 6 on the sidesaddle is many more useful servings than a couple of 10 round AR mags on the gun. FWIW

Thanks, I hadn't seen those. I am going to have to pick one up and try out they look interesting.

I did vote to keep the AR and save up for the 1301.

One thing that Tom Givens was talking about in the instructor class was serving size. A serving size being what it takes to end a fight, 3-5 shots for AR's, 3-4 shots for pistols, but 1 shot for shotguns. Shotgun fights in his experience never took more than 2 hits and never more than one solid hit. Obviously blowing off a fat roll won't be lethal, but the second shot to the chest tends to end things decisively.

Thinking about the number of servings in a shotgun may be even more relevant in a ban state than otherwise. Having 6 in the gun and 6 on the sidesaddle is many more useful servings than a couple of 10 round AR mags on the gun. FWIW
    That's the point I was trying to get to with my original post. I can in theory use my AR for home defense but that will limit me to 10 rounds as I won't be stuffing my PJs full of spares. A 1301 will give me 14 rounds (8 in the tube 6 on the saddle) of one-shot-stop medicine without having to grab anything in addition to just the gun itself. Plus when my buddies ask me to go shoot some clays or waterfoul I won't have to borrow their stuff.

And yes I could just buy an inexpensive longer barreled shotgun in addition to the 18" H&R I have but I like using quality stuff. In reality this is a hobby for me not part of my job so I like to make the most of the limited time I can dedicate to it and having quality gear helps. I'd rather have one solid tool that is decent at every task rather than multiple low-quality options that are only marginally better at the given task.
    Last edited by NPV; 05-08-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    That's the point I was trying to get to with my original post. I can in theory use my AR for home defense but that will limit me to 10 rounds as I won't be stuffing my PJs full of spares. A 1301 will give me 14 rounds (8 in the tube 6 on the saddle) of one-shot-stop medicine without having to grab anything in addition to just the gun itself. Plus when my buddies ask me to go shoot some clays or waterfoul I won't have to borrow their stuff.

And yes I could just buy an inexpensive longer barreled shotgun in addition to the 18" H&R I have but I like using quality stuff. In reality this is a hobby for me not part of my job so I like to make the most of the limited time I can dedicate to it and having quality gear helps. I'd rather have one solid tool that is decent at every task rather than multiple low-quality options that are only marginally better at the given task.
    Put a magazine holder on the butt of the rifle. That way, you'll have 20 rounds without the oddly sagging pocket on your PJs.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Put a magazine holder on the butt of the rifle. That way, you'll have 20 rounds without the oddly sagging pocket on your PJs.
    This is true but I do not plan on ever using this rifle for home defense for reasons other than just mag capacity.

User Tag List