View Poll Results: Which do you Recommend?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the AR buy the 1301 next year

52 92.86%
  • Sell the AR buy a 1301 and hope you don;t regret it

4 7.14%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Input is Requested

I think the cheap 1301s are still sporadically showing themselves. Buds Gun Shop had 5 of them for $650 last week. They’re all sold out now but it might be worth keeping an eye out online.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Personally, I'd keep the AR and acquire a SG later.

I've often said that if I had to "make do" (for whatever reason ... real or imagined) with just one long-gun, it would be a SG. But, it wouldn't be an open and fixed choked gun with iron/ghost ring sights like the old model 1301 Tactical ..... one of the 1301 Competition models, maybe.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Unless you are moving to a free state, or there is a serious prospect of Connecticut becoming a free state in the near future, or the political atmosphere is such that you would be better off defending your family with a shotgun, keep the AR, get the shotgun later.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I'm also limited to 10 round mags so the usefulness of such a rifle can be debated.
    While I'm not going to argue against that train of thought that morer is betterer when it comes to 20 and 30 round mags, 10 rounds of 5.56 is nothing to scoff at. For the vast majority of domestic rifle uses that have gone beyond 10 rounds, the solution was aim more and miss less, not more shooting. I know that's of little consolation if you need more than 10 rounds, regardless of the circumstances, but 10 rounds mags are more of limitation in theory than in practice. I wouldn't ditch a rifle because it was limited to just 10 rounds per magazine.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Personally, I'd keep the AR and acquire a SG later.

I've often said that if I had to "make do" (for whatever reason ... real or imagined) with just one long-gun, it would be a SG. But, it wouldn't be an open and fixed choked gun with iron/ghost ring sights like the old model 1301 Tactical ..... one of the 1301 Competition models, maybe.
    I'm leaning towards a 21" Comp as a Do-it-all shotgun. But the input I've received from this thread is telling me that it will be happening in later years.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post

On to my question; Should I sell this AR I may not be able to replace I the future for a shotgun that likely prove to be more useful?
    "Likely" is operative there. If you knew the future for certain I'd say go for it. Tea leaves are difficult to read. You already have a hell of a versatile firearm with the AR which you may not be able to replace. I'd wait and have both.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    "Likely" is operative there. If you knew the future for certain I'd say go for it. Tea leaves are difficult to read. You already have a hell of a versatile firearm with the AR which you may not be able to replace. I'd wait and have both.
    And that's why I'm torn on the decision and I think at this point I'm going to wait until I have to funds and just be the happy owner of both. That is unless someone makes a really substantial argument as to why I need a 1301 NOW.

For those interested I should have made it more clear in my original post I am leaning towards the Comp model for added versatility and capacity over the Tactical model but again I can be convinced otherwise.

I wouldn't trade an AR you might not be able to get again for a 1301.

Limited to 10-rounds does suck. So, why not do something fun? .458 SOCOM upper. At least then you get slugs approaching 20-gauge territory, and the Barnes bullets in a .458 are nothing to mock. Nine-rounds fit in a standard AR magazine.

That'd give you some big-bore versatility.

Or, buy a Mossberg 500.

Do an 80%

I voted Keep and Save due to being in the ban state. I totally get dust settling on stuff in the safe and feeling compelled to sell for something on my "wantsies" list, but I've often repurchased the sold items when they get interesting again. The fact that you may or may not be able to repurchase, or have to repurchase at a much higher buy-in, puts me solidly in the patience grasshopper camp.

User Tag List