View Poll Results: Which do you Recommend?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the AR buy the 1301 next year

52 92.86%
  • Sell the AR buy a 1301 and hope you don;t regret it

4 7.14%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Input is Requested

Your Input is Requested

I am posting this thread hoping to receive some input from the P-F brain trust. I am currently tossing around the idea of selling my AR to fund the purchase of a Beretta 1301. But first I will give you some background.

I live in CT so we can still purchase certain Pre-Ban (Pre 1993) rifles and lowers. This "Ban" has driven the prices on these lowers upwards of $1K. There seem to be a decent amount of them around but I'm sure at some point they will dry up as there are only a finite number of these "pre-ban" lowers/rifles in circulation.

I currently own an Olympic lower with a BCM RECCE upper and some other toys/accessories. I bought the gun simply because it is fun to shoot but I truthfully don't have a purpose for it and don't plan on taking any carbine training. I'm also limited to 10 round mags so the usefulness of such a rifle can be debated. My view has always been if I ever were to need a firearm to defend myself it will likely be a handgun as that is what I am going to be carrying with me so I don't put much stock into rifle training/practice.

I would like to get a 1301 for home defense as well as other "tasks" as I believe shotguns are very versatile tools. The money I would get from selling my entire AR setup would allow me to afford the shotgun as well as a few add-ons and still have money left over for ammo/maybe a class.

On to my question; Should I sell this AR I may not be able to replace I the future for a shotgun that likely prove to be more useful?

What are new 1301 going for? 700,-?
    I would never sell something as versatile as an Ar15 (with several uppers) that cant be replaced.

The AR will be difficult/impossible to replace so I say keep it.

I wouldn't sell it. I'd never get rid of something that I might not be able to reacquire later.

I can't fault you for wanting a 1301, but I'd keep what you have and just save up and buy one later. I'd also argue that a shotgun for home defense may require more training than an AR15 and has its own set of difficulties you'd have to overcome.

To rephrase the question a little, your alternatives seem to be (a) should I exchange my apple and for an orange, and have only one or the other, or (b) should I keep my apple and add an orange next year, thus having both an apple and an orange a year from now.

Twelve months from now, when you look back on this decision, what would you wish you would have done? That's your answer.

I voted to keep the AR and save for a 1301 only because you’re in a ban state and may not be able to get another AR in a similar configuration if you sell your current one. However, if you don’t really care about the AR and you feel like you might get more out of the 1301, you should go ahead and sell. You should be able to clear enough to afford the gun and some nice Aridus accessories.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Given the regional politics, I would keep the AR.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Keep the AR for sure.

Buy a trade-in 870 now or a 1301 next year.
    3/15/2016

Which do you think you'll actually use? Whether for fun or for practical purposes?

I was fairly anti-shotgun for a while, for no other reason than rifles are "better". Better at what? I don't know. I do know that my 1301 Comp is a hoot to shoot #8 shot with and is cheap fun. I feel like shooting the AR I'm counting $$ every time I pull the trigger. Only reason I haven't sold my AR is that it is the only gun my wife has ever bought me (well the stripped lower that became my AR). If it was a factory gun with no sentimental value, I'd have sold it to buy a 1301 Tactical. For me, in my lifestyle and experience set, a decent pistol & hunting rifle are all that I "need" and anything else is a toy and I try to judge my invest in those toys with that 'want vs need' mentality.

I haven't found a new 1301 Tactical for less than $800 in 2018, if someone has a lead, I'm interested. I should have bought 2 when they were $650!

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I voted to keep the AR and save for a 1301 only because you’re in a ban state and may not be able to get another AR in a similar configuration if you sell your current one. However, if you don’t really care about the AR and you feel like you might get more out of the 1301, you should go ahead and sell. You should be able to clear enough to afford the gun and some nice Aridus accessories.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    That's kind of where I'm at. Let's put it this way the last time I shot it I fed it 80 rounds 12/2017 prior to that was 120 rounds 12/2016, so it doesn't get used really at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Keep the AR for sure.

Buy a trade-in 870 now or a 1301 next year.
    I slept too long on that Rat-Worx deal and missed out, now I'm sold on the 1301 in some form or another.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Which do you think you'll actually use? Whether for fun or for practical purposes?

I was fairly anti-shotgun for a while, for no other reason than rifles are "better". Better at what? I don't know. I do know that my 1301 Comp is a hoot to shoot #8 shot with and is cheap fun. I feel like shooting the AR I'm counting $$ every time I pull the trigger. Only reason I haven't sold my AR is that it is the only gun my wife has ever bought me (well the stripped lower that became my AR). If it was a factory gun with no sentimental value, I'd have sold it to buy a 1301 Tactical. For me, in my lifestyle and experience set, a decent pistol & hunting rifle are all that I "need" and anything else is a toy and I try to judge my invest in those toys with that 'want vs need' mentality.

I haven't found a new 1301 Tactical for less than $800 in 2018, if someone has a lead, I'm interested. I should have bought 2 when they were $650!
    The shotgun would be used for HD, boat gun (on rare occasions), maybe to shoot some clays (if I get the comp model), and the occasional hunt.

My AR gets used as a "fun" gun when (more like if) it gets used. I will admit I do like having it just to have it. But If I knew that I could get one again tomorrow it would be gone.
    Last edited by NPV; 05-01-2018 at 11:46 AM.

User Tag List