Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Ft. Knox/Louisville KY

RFI: Ft. Knox/Louisville KY

Looks like I'm headed to Ft. Knox/Louisville for a couple of weeks and will have some downtime.

What's worth doing? What's not worth doing? What parts of the area should I avoid?

thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I’ve been to Kentucky once but we drove from southeast Missouri specifically to go to the Patton Tank Museum on the base. Highly recommended if you like looking at armor.

http://www.generalpatton.org

ETA check with them as the website says they’re doing improvements and they reopen “summer 2018”
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 04-30-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Kentucky Derby is this weekend.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Jeffersonville, IN is right across the river from Louisville. Go to the Falls of the Ohio and the little Lewis & Clark/Falls museum if you're into fossils and/or Lewis & Clark history. It's small but neat. There's also some decent restaurants on the bank of the river. Rocky's Pizza is good.

The Louisville Zoo is a very nice one, if you're into that sort of thing.

4th St live is a bunch of bars and music if you like drinking in public.

Belle of Louisville is a working steam boat that you can take a little river cruise on, I haven't done it in probably 20 years or more, but it's fun. http://www.belleoflouisville.org/belle-of-louisville/

Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory if you like baseball.

There's also the "Bourbon Trail" close to Ft. Knox if you want to explore the making of bourbon at various companies. I'd recommend this only if you *really* like bourbon.

https://bernheim.org/ is a nice wooded parkland area if you want to do a bit of nature stuff.

The Frazier Museum is supposed to be nice, but I've never been. It concentrates on antique weaponry.

Oh, and if you like antique weaponry and crusty locals, stop in Fall City Firearms in Clarksville, IN. Rick, the owner/operator, is big into match locks, flint locks, and that sort of thing. His shop is more of a little museum that happens to sell guns that a gun shop, as he sells no new guns at all, no ammunition, etc. Just used guns, knives, and bit of surplus misc stuff. He's often got something unique and a story behind it, which might even be true.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Frazier Museum is definitely worthwhile, downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Kentucky Derby is this weekend.
    Thanks. I grew up around horses and horse people. Probably gonna give that one pretty wide berth.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Churchill Downs is hopping this week as it is Derby week. Friday is the Oaks, which is the Derby for the locals. Lots of visitors this week, so prices are a bit inflated and restaurants and hotels will be busy.

There is a minor league baseball team that plays at Slugger Field, and the Louisville Slugger museum is close. The Bourbon Trail is fun, but you need reservations as it is so popular.

In general, you want to stay east of I-65.

Some good restaurants are Chuy's (Mexican) near the intersection of I-264 and Shelbyville Road and Bearno's Pizza (all over town) in the east part of town. Thai Noodles on Preston HWY is a favorite of mine for lunch. There is a great breakfast/brunch chain called Wild Eggs that my wife and daughter love. Jasmin Bakery has the best gyro sandwiches and is a fave of the GE employees.

Rite Aid and Liquor Barn is a great source of bourbon at reasonable prices.

Avoid anywhere around the racetrack until after this weekend, and in general all tourist type locations will either be very busy or closed due to the Derby. Things can get expensive in Louisville leading up to the Derby.

The Frazier Museum has one of the largest collections of toy soldiers, although it has reduced how much is displayed. It also used to be a Royal Armory, but that expired a couple of years ago. It is still a good museum, but it has become more of a general Kentucky history museum as it has tried to expand from its military history and weapons origins. BTW, one of the main fund raising events for the Frazier is a sporting clays shoot, which is a good time in the fall.

And of course there is plenty of great bourbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louisville Slugger Museum
    Hop over to Lexington and hit a horse farm tour. Look for weekend distillery tour.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Frazier Museum is definitely worthwhile, downtown.
    Definitely this. Outstanding firearms collection. They also have a partnership with the UK Royal Armory and have arms and armor. The largest part of the museum focuses on weapons from ~1,000 AD through modern day. They also have a display of complete early Colt revolvers including a Walker.

Stay far, far away from that city this weekend.

User Tag List