Thread: Savage MSR Competition AR15

Savage MSR Competition AR15

@P.E. Kelley

What is the deal?
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 04-30-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I'm not trusting enough to pay almost $2-3000 for an AR made by a firearms company known for selling budget rifles and shotguns. I own Savage Axis rifles that I bought because they were dirt cheap with Savages' rebate. Despite the fact that each has a 7 pound trigger pull and each wears a $40.00 Bushnell scope, they shoot well enough for my narrow purpose.

The reason I am asking is one of the country’s best 3 gun shooters recommended it to me. With Patrick Kelly a Savage brand ambassador, I am curious what he says.

Article says it weighs 7.9 lbs. Add a 1-6 and mount and you’re looking at over 9 lbs; seems kinda porky for an AR. I like that non-reciprocating side-charger, though.

Fixed GJM’s mention of @P.E. Kelley
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I'm not trusting enough to pay almost $2-3000 for an AR made by a firearms company known for selling budget rifles and shotguns. I own Savage Axis rifles that I bought because they were dirt cheap with Savages' rebate. Despite the fact that each has a 7 pound trigger pull and each wears a $40.00 Bushnell scope, they shoot well enough for my narrow purpose.
    You mention Bushnell and they happen to be a very interesting parallel to the Savage quality question.

10yrs ago I wouldn't touch a Bushnell again with a 10' pole. Still won't use their low end stuff. However their high end scopes compete well with other high end scopes (same OEM notwithstanding). I'm a fan.

The Savage 3 gun rifles: MSR15 Comp in 223 and the MSR10 Comp HD in 308 are both exercises in what Savage can do on the
    "Top End".

Yea, we are known as a great value in rifles...and we are! And if you really look at the sum total of the parts of our Comp
    AR's you will see that same value.
    To buy what I would say is one of the best AR's available...without a Proof Carbon Fiber
    barrel from JP Rifle's will set you back $2,690 https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=17-12171

The Savage is a side charger and has the Proof barrel (and a removable magwell) . MSRP 2,895 with a street price on
    par with the JP and I'd say that makes it a pretty good value. https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/...R15Competition
    Last edited by P.E. Kelley; 05-11-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Are these rifles out there for purchase yet?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are these rifles out there for purchase yet?
    I was told...Summer.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

User Tag List