Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MP5 Length Options

As others have said, the MP5 is easier to shoot, but the PDW is sexier. Both were reliable IME.

I never liked the telescoping stock, so if I had an MP5 it would have the non-telescoping stock.

In case you're ever tempted, the 0-1-3-Full trigger group makes a bad selector even worse.

Circa late 1990s, I watched a guy at an USPSA match run a .38 Super with an optic and I wondered why we were still using MP5s. Fast forward twenty years and if I wanted to conceal a 9mm with a lot of rounds, it would be a G34/RMR, not a PDW. You don't have a practical need for PDW even if there is a practical use for one. That's OK. 'Murica. Buy the MP5 and get your Diehard on.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    I'm assuming the SP5K he used still used the stock 110 degree locking piece like the Zenith/POF clones? If he's shooting well enough in competition to hit GM, I'm assuming he was doing it with 147gr or 150gr+ loads and unrelenting reliability from the SP5K, however the locking piece was set up.
    The SP5K in question (mine) does still have the 110 degree locking piece. For most of my competition shooting it is with 125gr cast bullets at ~143 power factor out of the SP5K. However, my press is currently set up for 5.56 and I've been running factory 115gr (mostly blazer brass) the last few matches where I've shot the SP5K. The gun is incredibly ammo insensitive.
    TY83544

I’ve carried full sized MP5s with SEF and Navy groups in fixed and retractable stocks. I carried an SD with a fixed stock that I loved other than it was a heavy beast. It was also finicky with ammo. It loved Wolf 115FMJ though.

I’ve also carried PDWs which were a blast to shoot. They had a high rate of fire making the standards drills more difficult. One handed full auto accurate fire was possible. The weight at the end of your arm dropped the PDW right back.

I’d love to have a PDW or a 14” 870 again to strap on for yard searches. But I’d also take a full sized MP5 with a retractable stock.

For the OP I’d go with the MP5A3.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I stopped by my range today and decided on a whim to rent out their Zenith Z-5P with brace to see how the K-length felt in the hand. Turns out there's just enough real estate left for me to grip it comfortably up front, and it balances extremely well with a suppressor. Between that experience and trading a few messages with Zenith's master armorer, I'm becoming more and more convinced I want to go with the K-length gun even if it means having a #28 locking piece swapped into the gun and keeping a 110 degree locking piece in my range bag in case 115s are all that are available.

Now the real problem is just finding one. Said range is the only place I've even seen a Z-5P in stock for at least 2-3 months now, and after tax the gun and brace package comes out to be just north of $2100. That's "consider an APC9" territory to me.

I'd already decided to wait on actually buying one until after I got my Scorpion Evo SBR back from Buhler Ballistics, but now it's looking like I don't have a choice unless the range retail staff decides that price is negotiable.

MacPherson Arms in Brentwood NH had a Zenith Z5P in stock last week, listed for $1700 without a brace. They’re a fairly new shop and I have not done business with them, but they seemed friendly and knowledgeable. 603-706-5795
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    MacPherson Arms in Brentwood NH had a Zenith Z5P in stock last week, listed for $1700 without a brace. They’re a fairly new shop and I have not done business with them, but they seemed friendly and knowledgeable. 603-706-5795
    Excellent, I actually found a gently used Z5P semi-locally to me (San Antonio) on Gunbroker so I'm going to try to go that route first. Failing that, I'll give 'em a ring.

I just picked up a pre-owned and unused SBT5KA as well, so if all goes to plan I should hopefully come out way under budget on this.
    Last edited by einherjarvalk; 05-09-2018 at 12:20 AM.

So, the Z-5P on Gunbroker was a bust as it ended up going for something like $1,800 (i.e., $150 more than Brownells charges for a used gun), and MacPherson ended up having a Z-5K instead of a Z-5P. I'm still MP5-less.

I nearly changed that today when I went back to the range and talked the sales guys down to $1,700 + tax for their display Z-5P, which I considered fair enough since I don't mind spending a bit extra to help keep the local range afloat. Unfortunately, as we were driving out the rear receiver pins to remove the brace they had on it, the weld holding the top receiver pin hole reinforcement in place broke, and the reinforcement fell off. Everyone in the room got a "well, shit" sorta moment - the sales guy wasn't making the sale anymore, the gunsmith would need to send the gun to Zenith for repair/replacement, and I was still going home without an MP5.

Apparently this is the second time this has happened with a Z-5P they've gotten since they became a dealer; is this a common issue with these guns or just a bad batch they may have gotten?

What about this as an option? http://www.ptr-us.com/products-9-x-19mm.php

I know that some of the rifles had issues, back a few years ago, but rumours I’ve heard indicated the chamber issue was fixed... Are these a worthwhile consideration, at the price?

I've read on Facebook and forums that a new shipment is supposed to come in June. I'm waiting also.
    Have a RS on back order through Brownells, and am on the list for a RS and P at Kelley Enterprises.
    SB braces and mags already delivered.

I whiffed on a Z-5P today, AGAIN. Saw one for $1400 on Gunbroker, used, messaged the guy to get better photos of things that are important to me (read: welds), and someone else slapped "buy it now" within an hour of the listing going up, long before any pics could be sent.

I am incredibly frustrated at this point; it's like life really, really does not want me to have one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    What about this as an option? http://www.ptr-us.com/products-9-x-19mm.php

I know that some of the rifles had issues, back a few years ago, but rumours I’ve heard indicated the chamber issue was fixed... Are these a worthwhile consideration, at the price?
    My PTR-91 is just fine, but at the price they're asking for the PTR-5, I can't really see myself getting one over an MKE. The MKE guns are all made on HK machinery under license with a better warranty, and don't stick me with a welded top rail (which is the one complaint I have about the PTR-91 I have; I can't mount a brass deflector as a result). Price is an issue for me too; considering the competition is made under license, the slight price difference doesn't make me really want to go with the PTR-5. If they dropped the top rail and offered a plastic handguard model, it would in theory make the whole package more affordable and create enough savings for me to consider it, but as it is, I'd rather pay a few bucks more for the Turkish gun.

Also, they don't offer a K-length gun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JBhunter45 View Post
    I've read on Facebook and forums that a new shipment is supposed to come in June. I'm waiting also.
    Have a RS on back order through Brownells, and am on the list for a RS and P at Kelley Enterprises.
    SB braces and mags already delivered.
    Mid-June is what their armorer was saying on HKPro and on an MP5 group on Facebook. Guess I'm still waiting.

User Tag List