Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MP5 Length Options

MP5 Length Options

Technically a "pistol," but whatever.

I've been looking at adding a Zenith MP5 to my stable and continuing to follow my horrifically expensive dream of "own the guns I really, really liked from Rainbow Six as a kid." However, I've run into a bit of a snag, as I'm having trouble deciding between the full size and K-length models. I've already got a Scorpion Evo SBR that should be coming back any day now that fills the 7-8" barrel length PCC niche, so I've started leaning towards the MP5K, but I'm also realizing it may be a much more problematic and less reliable option than I'm willing to put up with. For the record, this is a range toy and occasional road trip backpack gun that I intend to shoot 147 gr ammo with the majority of the time, occasionally suppressed.

Right now my pro/con list looks like this:
    MP5A3:
    +dead bang reliable with standard locking piece and 147 grain ammo/suppressor
    +large enough to easily mount lights to M-LOK handguard if added
    +not picky on bullet weights
    +matches my Die Hard sweater
    -more expensive on average
    -size niche already filled by Evo SBR
    -not nearly as easy to stash in discreet-ish bags that I have

MP5K PDW:
    +extremely small, will theoretically fit in my super hipster Toms laptop bag or my unused work briefcase
    +shorter barrel length reduces OAL with a mounted suppressor
    +about $100-200 less than full-size MP5 (from what I've seen)
    -apparently has a hard time with 147 gr ammo when shot with a "stock," suppressed with subsonic ammo, and especially with both, requiring a change to an 80 deg locking piece for reliability, then a change back to factory 110 deg locking piece for reliability with 115 gr
    -very little room for light/laser/whatever accessory expansion in future
    -does not match my Die Hard sweater

Basically, from an on-paper practical standpoint, the K length looks to be the better option but incurs the high probability of needing troubleshooting for my usual subgun diets of 147 gr flat point ammo and will likely inconvenience me if I don't have subsonics on hand. On the other hand, the full size has reliability in spades and a certain cool factor, but really doesn't do anything my Evo doesn't already do aside from "be an MP5" (which, granted, is still a selling point).

Am I missing anything here that might make one variant or the other more worthy of my attention? I know I said this is a range toy first and foremost, but if a range toy gives me trouble when I ask it to do what I normally do with range toys, then it ceases to be fun and thus is no longer worth considering as a range toy.
    Last edited by einherjarvalk; 04-30-2018 at 01:11 AM.

Site Supporter
    I’d keep the full-size MP5 considering you have a SBR evo inbound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any direct experience with the Zenith guns, but I do have a fair amount with the HK versions. In my experience, the K has been every bit as reliable as its full size brothers. Since my personal K is semi only, I have not yet felt the need to switch the locking piece over many thousands of rounds of various bullet weight, suppressed and unsuppressed. While it might be closer to the edge of its performance envelope with the stock 110 degree locking block, mine is still an exceedingly reliable and soft shooting gun.

The K requires more muscling of the gun for the same shooting performance out of the A3 and equivalents, but it is vastly more flexible in concealment options. It is small enough to fit in bags most people couldn't imagine would hold a shoulder fired weapon.

Personally, I would choose the K all day, especially given the prevalence of SBR/Pistol AR's that are a similar form factor to the full size MP5's.
    TY83544

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    Since my personal K is semi only, I have not yet felt the need to switch the locking piece over many thousands of rounds of various bullet weight, suppressed and unsuppressed. While it might be closer to the edge of its performance envelope with the stock 110 degree locking block, mine is still an exceedingly reliable and soft shooting gun.
    The locking piece recommendations are the most confusing thing to me since most of the info I've seen about using the 80 degree locking piece have been in reference to registered trigger pack hosts, which adds to the confusion. Has HK ever said anything about whether or not a #28/80 degree locking piece should be used in the SP5K when used with subsonic ammunition or a stock/brace?

I know for the MP5K proper they recommend it for sure, but with that comes a host of other concerns such as possibly needing to swap the rollers in the bolt head to get the bolt gap back in spec, which is way, way more complicated than I'd like for something I will probably be shooting subs out of most of the time but would want to be able to feed 115 gr Wal-Mart special ammo in a pinch.

You could always cut down the Evo's barrel to get the mini PCC form factor, and get the full size MP5 clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    You could always cut down the Evo's barrel to get the mini PCC form factor, and get the full size MP5 clone.
    I considered this as well, but since my Evo started as a carbine and was in the process to get cut down to 7.7" with an MLOK handguard installed when the MP5 bug hit me, I'm very hesitant to scrap all of that for a K conversion right away.

I just recently had to turn in my K (uber sad face) - apparently they're going out of inventory for us. I had mine for over 6 years, can't tell you how many thousands of rounds I put through it with no issues - and it was 20+ years of hard "stable" (e.g. available for use for whoever needed it - and not maintain it) use.

As others have noted, more than once I was at a high profile public event with a laptop bag over my shoulder containing the K with stock folded and twin-mag inserted, with 4 loaded magazines as reloads. Sure, it was heavy as hell, but nice to know there's a whole lot of "work" available in that bag...

I have a Dakota full size MP5 and the SP5K. Full size is easier to shoot but the SP5K fits in a Vertx EDC pack, along with all the other stuff I normally carry. The SP5K has been absolutely reliable. Zack made GM shooting one, carbine-ized, and since we know it is the gun not the shooter, that shows how capable the little HK is.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a Dakota full size MP5 and the SP5K. Full size is easier to shoot but the SP5K fits in a Vertx EDC pack, along with all the other stuff I normally carry. The SP5K has been absolutely reliable. Zack made GM shooting one, carbine-ized, and since we know it is the gun not the shooter, that shows how capable the little HK is.
    I'm assuming the SP5K he used still used the stock 110 degree locking piece like the Zenith/POF clones? If he's shooting well enough in competition to hit GM, I'm assuming he was doing it with 147gr or 150gr+ loads and unrelenting reliability from the SP5K, however the locking piece was set up.

My memories are 15 years old, I was never a HK armorer and I've had a TBI since then, but what I remember is that when it came to the 9mm guns, the locking piece didn't make that much difference unless you were running full auto and/or supressed.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List