Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good "Technique Focused" Pistol Instruction

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am hoping to attend Randy's Handgun 2 next week, have trained with him many times, and he is a favorite instructor. He doesn't teach Modern Iso.
    All's right with the world, then. I think RSS is the right place for me to learn (and evaluate) technique. Can I get away with that switch in his advanced class, or should I keep it basic? I would have little issue with his pre-req performance from my current technique.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    The guys down at TDSA-Tulsa did a very good job for me. I was a Weaver guy, for many years. I took their AP-1 and switched my stance, grip, and draw after that weekend.

http://www.tdsatulsa.com/
    And your trigger technique, too I bet.

Is there any reason why I'm the only one that thought doctorpogo might want to take a class from Todd?

I'm not trying to be a kiss-ass or anything, but I think it might at least deserve consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    All's right with the world, then. I think RSS is the right place for me to learn (and evaluate) technique. Can I get away with that switch in his advanced class, or should I keep it basic? I would have little issue with his pre-req performance from my current technique.
    The Rogers Basic class is more appropriate for someone with little shooting experience, unfamiliar with muzzle blast, starts with .22's and works up to 9mm, using basically the same school drill. You should do the intermediate/advanced class. If your experience is like mine and most, on a first visit, you will be enlightened, humbled, and do much worse than you hoped.

You will do yourself, and especially your hands, a big favor by shooting a hi-cap 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by agent-smith View Post
    Is there any reason why I'm the only one that thought doctorpogo might want to take a class from Todd?

I'm not trying to be a kiss-ass or anything, but I think it might at least deserve consideration.
    My post is going to be a backhanded compliment to Todd.

Don't take Todd's class until you're an accomplished shooter.
    If you're a novice or even a low intermediate shooter you're better off taking somebody else's class, diligently working on the fundamentals... THEN taking Todd's AFHF.
    While a novice or intermediate will learn something from Todd, you will really get your money's worth if you have the fundamentals down to the point your mind is freed up to absorb his advanced material.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    And your trigger technique, too I bet.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You will do yourself, and especially your hands, a big favor by shooting a hi-cap 9mm.
    -- such a thread split. I'll deal with that later.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Dont take Todd's class until you're an accomplished shooter.
    I have found that there are a few instructors -- Jim Crews was one, and I hear Randy Cain is another -- who can take a brief look at what you're doing, offer a moment's insight and a quick demo, and pretty radically improve your shooting. I'm not aware of one of those that teaches the postmodern technique (gotta call it something...). Todd might be like that, but that's not the way the class reports read.

I'm not exactly a novice or a complete duffer, and I could probably go to an AFHF and walk out with a usefully improved version of what I already do -- and probably be a much better shooter. However, I don't think that that particular class is the right place to tear my technique down and rebuild it.

I've read a lot of class reports for Rogers, actually, and don't really know what sort of instructor he is. I do know that his methods and his facilities will be perfect for quickly ingraining a radical technique change , if I can get enough coaching to execute the altered technique properly.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My post is going to be a backhanded compliment to Todd.

Don't take Todd's class until you're an accomplished shooter.
    If you're a novice or even a low intermediate shooter you're better off taking somebody else's class, diligently working on the fundamentals... THEN taking Todd's AFHF.
    While a novice or intermediate will learn something from Todd, you will really get your money's worth if you have the fundamentals down to the point your mind is freed up to absorb his advanced material.
    Thanks.

I wasn't trying to kiss-up, or say "You should only take a class from Todd" (which I haven't but will be doing so in April).

I was genuinely curious, and having not taken the AFHF I wasn't sure what to make of it; your response makes perfect sense.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    I have found that there are a few instructors -- Jim Crews was one, and I hear Randy Cain is another -- who can take a brief look at what you're doing, offer a moment's insight and a quick demo, and pretty radically improve your shooting. I'm not aware of one of those that teaches the postmodern technique (gotta call it something...). Todd might be like that, but that's not the way the class reports read.

I'm not exactly a novice or a complete duffer, and I could probably go to an AFHF and walk out with a usefully improved version of what I already do -- and probably be a much better shooter. However, I don't think that that particular class is the right place to tear my technique down and rebuild it.

I've read a lot of class reports for Rogers, actually, and don't really know what sort of instructor he is. I do know that his methods and his facilities will be perfect for quickly ingraining a radical technique change , if I can get enough coaching to execute the altered technique properly.
    Doc,

Another Instructor for your consideration: Mike Seeklander http://www.shooting-performance.com/...e/Welcome.html. He's a proponent of the "post modern technique" and he has considerable experience teaching it to shooters who started with other systems via the FAMS and FLETC.

User Tag List