Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good "Technique Focused" Pistol Instruction

Quote Originally Posted by agent-smith View Post
    Thanks.

I wasn't trying to kiss-up, or say "You should only take a class from Todd" (which I haven't but will be doing so in April).

I was genuinely curious, and having not taken the AFHF I wasn't sure what to make of it; your response makes perfect sense.
    I'm sure a novice would learn a lot from Todd, but I think the real value in his class is in the nuances, not the basics.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm sure a novice would learn a lot from Todd, but I think the real value in his class is in the nuances, not the basics.
    Understood.

I'll see you at the ABQ AFHF in April.

Ever consider private instruction?

To the OP, if you are looking for someone to break down your technique and rebuild it, you might want to consider individual/private training. The $ outlay upfront would be much higher than a typical 2 day group class of course but when you consider the individual attention given to your current skills and a personalized training program to follow post-class, it might be worth it. I have not gone this route but I considered it a couple years ago. The only instructor I had done research on for this was Matt Burkett (predatortactical.com) so I don't have any particular instructors I'd feel qualified to recommend.

The training industry is very, very wanting for someone to teach the post-modern technique as well as Randy Cain teaches the modern.

OP: You, I'm sure, know that AFHF is going to be right down the road (Pittsburg, KS) from you next month?

Secondly, I'll recommend the only formal training that I've had to date. Practical Fundamentals with Bruce Gray at Operation Specific Training. His blog post, Practical Fundamentals: Who is it for? gives a good description of his primary class. If you dig enough on the Grayguns website you'll find some other articles pertaining to their training philosophy. I have taken this class twice and can't recommend it strongly enough. I look forward to taking one of their advanced classes later this year.

Despite being largely competition focused in content, I have found the Matt Burkett video series and Brian Enos' book quite helpful.

ETA: FWIW, Operation Specific Training teaches the "press out" technique.
    Last edited by David S.; 02-15-2012 at 11:10 PM.

DocPogo, I'm hosting the AFHF class in Pittsburg, KS if you decide that may work after all (just email me). I have not taken any of his classes but I understand Clint Smith offers one-on-one or one-on-a-few training classes at Thunder Ranch. His reputation is impeccable.

Depending on your budget I would imagine that most instructors, given scheduling considerations, would be happy to offer one-on-one training geared to you if you think that would benefit you more than the usual dozen shooters format.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    OP: You, I'm sure, know that AFHF is going to be right down the road (Pittsburg, KS) from you next month?

Secondly, I'll recommend the only formal training that I've had to date. Practical Fundamentals with Bruce Gray at Operation Specific Training. His blog post, Practical Fundamentals: Who is it for? gives a good description of his primary class. If you dig enough on the Grayguns website you'll find some other articles pertaining to their training philosophy. I have taken this class twice and can't recommend it strongly enough. I look forward to taking one of their advanced classes later this year.
    I will be interested to hear what you think of these guys after you take some other classes.
    Last edited by rob_s; 02-22-2012 at 05:29 AM.

User Tag List