Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Shoot Striker Fired Pistols Better than 1911's?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    rThanks for the replies. Since general consensus says it's likely a familiarity issue, rather than put time into 1911's I'm thinking I'll get rid of them.

Does that really make a difference? I always thought that an aiming point was an aiming point, if you got your front sight focus right.
    Color and shape of the Targets can make a difference. For a true measure you want to eliminate as many variables as possible.

rThanks for the replies. Since general consensus says it's likely a familiarity issue, rather than put time into 1911's I'm thinking I'll get rid of them.

Does that really make a difference? I always thought that an aiming point was an aiming point, if you got your front sight focus right.
    For me, a large bullseye target with small contrasting X ring or 10 ring brings the best results for slow fire accuracy. That very small but contrasting center really helps me "aim small, miss small". I'm pretty sure I could do a little better using the first targets, compared to the contrasting rings on the 1911 targets.

But I don't doubt that familiarity was the primary difference between the platforms. It would be interesting to see if the difference seen in slow fire is also manifested in drills.

There appears to be a little bit of "low left syndrome" in the 4th target. Except it's low right, which for a left handed shooter is equivilent to low left. When I see this on my targets (and I do, more than I'd like to admit), it indicates anticipatory push. Or your sights may just ned to be pushed on that pistol.
    Last edited by Mark D; 05-05-2018 at 02:04 PM.

My vote is familiarity too.

After not shooting a Glock in over a year, I shot my 642 better! Of course by the end of the range trip, the Glock was back on top.

It also looks like you have better sights on your 2 striker pistols compared to the 2 1911s as well.

There's a whole bunch of you going wrong with those groups.
    Mine look the same way; I can shoot 10 DA pulls on a P226 into 1 ragged hole at 15 yards, but would be lucky to score a 80+ on a B8 at the same distance with a 1911 if I was trying to shoot them both at the same range session. Familiarity has a lot to do with it. (or at least that's what I tell myself)

Familiarity is critically important for performance with a pistol. I have shot both 1911's and Glock's at a GM level, but I can't switch back and forth between the two in the same range session and shoot both to the same level. It usually takes at least 1-2 range sessions and some dedicated dry fire to re-acclimate to one or the other. It's actually harder for me to pick up a 1911 style gun and shoot it well when I haven't been shooting them in awhile than it is for me to pick up a Glock. With the 1911, I tend to get a lot of trigger freeze at speed.

Bill Wilson has told me it is an easier transition for him to go Beretta 92 to 1911, than vice versa, and he has decades of experience with both.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

To, from?

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    To, from?
    A lot easier to transition from shooting a 1911 to switching back to a B92, as opposed to the opposite transition.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks.

It makes a difference for me. The bottom two targets have yellow backgrounds. Problem for me, I tend to shift focus from the front sight to the bright color, then back again. Messes me up.

User Tag List