Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Shoot Striker Fired Pistols Better than 1911's?

Shooting Shoot Striker Fired Pistols Better than 1911's?

I just got a CZ P10C and wanted to compare it to my Glock 19.5. I decided while I was at it, I'd take my 1911's - it's been a while since I shot them.

I'm a bit surprised at my results, I thought I'd shoot the 1911's better. Any thoughts on why I did so poorly with my 1911's?

Shot left handed, at about 15 paces not slow, but not fast either.

Original full size pic here: https://i.imgur.com/q5SfoSR.jpg
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Possible reasons are the tests you pick, recent platform familiarity and your personal skill set.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'd give the biggest "nod" to familiarity. If you've been shooting pistols with heavier, mushier, longer trigger pulls, it's going to be harder to wring the greatest advantage out of the 1911's short, light, crisp trigger until you get back "into the groove" with it.

Next I'd suggest grip size/shape and relative recoil

Okay, thank you for the responses.

With the XSE Lightweight 45's "group" being so bad I thought maybe something was up with the pistol, since I shot the 9mm 1911 a little better. Glad to hear the issue is most likely me.

You are being haunted by the ghost of JMB or you forgot to wash your hands after touching that icky plastic.

I find it really difficult to judge pistols off of accuracy only. Especially if the tests are done back to back. I also find it takes a few rounds to get back in the groove with SA triggers. It’s really easy for me to anticipate a 1911 trigger after shooting strikers guns. Not sure why. Seems backwards.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Okay, thank you for the responses.

With the XSE Lightweight 45's "group" being so bad I thought maybe something was up with the pistol, since I shot the 9mm 1911 a little better. Glad to hear the issue is most likely me.
    Minor detail but you shot the striker guns and 1911s on different style targets.

I've been shooting Glocks almost exclusively for the past 4 years. Shot a friend's new Springfield Professional. My 25 yard bulls were better with my G34. Weird, huh?

Site Supporter
    The CZ P10C and Glock 19 gen5 are a very accurate set of pistols to begin with.

The variables that could drive this

Sight picture differences
    Grip differences
    Sight adjustment
    Trigger finger placement differences

All these could be wrapped into 'familiarity'.

I don't think there is a huge problem here. If you spent the next two weekends practicing with the 1911s I'd bet your accuracy would be equal to the striker guns.
    Last edited by fixer; 04-30-2018 at 05:57 AM.

Site Supporter
    In my experience, even though the 1911 trigger can be seen as an advantage it still requires consistent practice to shoot it well. It's not surprising that you shot the striker fired guns better than the 1911s if that is what you've been shooting.

rThanks for the replies. Since general consensus says it's likely a familiarity issue, rather than put time into 1911's I'm thinking I'll get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Minor detail but you shot the striker guns and 1911s on different style targets.
    Does that really make a difference? I always thought that an aiming point was an aiming point, if you got your front sight focus right.

User Tag List