Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: If Dirty Harry had class....

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Very nice. You mentioned a trigger or action job. A previous owner may have unscrewed the strain screw that maintains pressure on the main spring. If so, I suggest that you turn it in all the way. An acceptable way to reduce both sa and da trigger pull is cutting a couple coils off the rebound spring(or replacing it with a lighter one)that returns the trigger to the reset position. This method does not affect mainspring force. As stated above, some guys use Federal primers to allow reliable ignition with a lighter main spring. I never understood the concept of limiting a weapon's reliability in this way. My obstinate mindset shouts that a shooter can adapt to a non target main spring and shoot as well in double action mode. Once, when talking with a guy who is actually an expert revolver shot with a 4 inch 29 using magnum loads, he told me that he was able to shoot so fast in double action that he could outrun the Smith's action. I replied that if he replaced his cut rebound spring with a factory original, he would no longer out run his revolver. His set-up had all springs altered.

Some solvents are not nickel finish friendly. Hoppe's may not be. Rags that remove lead will degrade nickel. Over time nickel tends to yellow slightly if not kept oiled.
    Already checked, as previously stated.

I've always liked nickel plated guns. Consequently, I've owned more than a few. I find most of the wives tales concerning the fragility of nickel to be exactly that. Hoppe's might be hazardous to the integrity of the finish, if you dump the gun into a bucket of it and leaving it soaking for an extended period of time. I don't use Hoppe's because I find it to be pretty poor at anything its supposed to do, not due to concerns over finish wear. I've also never seen an example of a yellowed nickel finish. I currently have three nickeled guns in my safe. All of them are north, or just south, of forty years old. None of them came to me new, nor have they been babied since. The only treatment they receive is an occasional wipe down with a clean cloth. I haven't treated them like fine china or kept them in hermetically sealed chambers and yet they're as nice as the day I acquired them. We tend to forget that nickel was the original hard use finish.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 05-12-2018 at 04:31 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Miculek's trigger job video emphasizes keeping the original rebound spring, or at least not making it too light, in order to preserve a good reset. He says the reset is perhaps even more important than the press if you're trying to go fast.
    Did you ever look at his forearms? I would not be surprised if he cracks open walnuts with his bare hands.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I would not be surprised if he cracks open walnuts with his bare hands.
    Cracking walnuts with your bare hands isn't that hard, if you know how to apply the force. Or maybe I'm just a big galoot.

He has really short, stubby thumbs. Mine are a lot longer. Harder to find places to put them when you can't go forward.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I can still crack walnuts that way. There's a trick to it.

Success. Fifty rounds fired today, all double action with 100% reliability. The change only increased the DA pull by a pound. That leaves it with a 9.5lb DA trigger and a 2.5-3.0lb SA trigger, essentially the same as my Model 27 which is factory stock. Good times.

Site Supporter
    I've not seen rusting occur on a nickel finish but have seen an instance where a fingerprint became etched into a nickel finish. I use a very lightly oiled rag to provide at least minimal protection against oxidation but don't claim it's necessary. I see it as a prudent measure. Today I cleaned a hard chromed pistol that I gave to a young friend four years ago. He carries it daily as he works on the family ranch. I clean it twice a year. The finish shows several rusted areas. Over the years when working in gun stores, I've seen newly received stainless steel revolvers with significant rust. Once we sent a revolver to a certified Armoloy facility for hard chrome plating. When we got it back, the revolver had already rusted. Yes, I agree that nickel is a resistant finish. Regardless of finish type, having competent applicators is the key. Some may not know that if 100% of oil is removed from stainless, the probability is very high that rust will soon appear. State armorers found this fact out when allowing trainees a free hand while cleaning M-65's with straight Stoddard solvent. My favorite finish is GI Parkerizing, which must be kept oiled. Nickel is vastly better, though.
    Last edited by willie; 05-12-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Success. Fifty rounds fired today, all double action with 100% reliability. The change only increased the DA pull by a pound. That leaves it with a 9.5lb DA trigger and a 2.5-3.0lb SA trigger, essentially the same as my Model 27 which is factory stock. Good times.
    I haven't figured out if this one or the Model 27 in your avatar is your best score yet. You and DB sure seem to have an ability to find some great wheel guns.

I can hear that 27 screaming carry ME all the way out here in South Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    I haven't figured out if this one or the Model 27 in your avatar is your best score yet. You and DB sure seem to have an ability to find some great wheel guns.

I can hear that 27 screaming carry ME all the way out here in South Dakota
    Thanks, but I'm a rank amateur compared to DB. I know what you mean about the comparison. Right now, I'd give the edge to the 29 but we'll see when the new wears off a bit. It's a nice dilemma to have. Right now Baby's a bit bitchy because I took her grips away and gave them to Elvis. (named so because the .44 mag is the king of sixguns and he's flashy) But there's another set coming. My in-laws used to live in South Dakota. I love the country up there. If I had a cop job somewhere up in Longmire country I'd be very tempted to carry this 29 in a nice leather rig, just because.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 05-12-2018 at 10:29 PM.

User Tag List