Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If Dirty Harry had class....

If Dirty Harry had class....

............his roscoe would look like this.

I went to a local gun show today, looking for another 4506. I didn't find one, but I found this instead, which is orders of magnitude better. A four inch, nickel plated S&W Model 29.

The show was one of the sorriest affairs I've ever been to. Really nothing of interest. Now, if I'd wanted an AR15, an overpriced Mosin Nagant or various flavors of plastic fantastic, then it might have been better. Unfortunately, it largely consisted of a bunch of pot bellied old men sitting behind their tables more interested in chatting with their buddies than doing business. Things got a bit sporty for a second, when one of them whipped out his gat from his IWB holster to show off to another inbred and managed to muzzle me with it. Can you guess who felt worse about that within a few seconds? That was right after I walked in the door, but after my blood pressure was raised and I did my best Sergeant Hartman impression, I moved on. I found out later, the d-bag complained to a couple of the local deputies working the show. They knew me and commented that he'd better feel lucky a tongue lashing was all he got and perhaps he should keep his heater in his pants where it belonged.

One old boy did have a cherry S&W 39-2, in the box with two magazines for a not bad price. Since I'm currently on an S&W auto kick I decided I'd go for that if I didn't find anything better. Then, I kid you not, on the very last table I found this beauty. Fired, but barely. In excellent mechanical shape without even any wear on the forcing cone. The serrations on the trigger have been removed and the checkering on the hammer has been taken down a bit, but the work was well done. It also been the recipient of an action job, resulting in a glass like eight pound double action pull and a three and a half single action trigger. I would have preferred box stock, but the work is quality.

The seller came down a bit on his asking price, but I didn't have quite enough in my pocket. I then asked one of the deputies to point me to an ATM. I had to leave the convention center, walk about a city block and back, all the while hopping someone didn't snatch it up.

What did I do next? Well, head for the range of course. I'm happy to report, it shoots as well as it looks. That doesn't surprise me though. I've yet to come across one of these old 29's that hasn't been a nail driver. A few years ago, I sent my blued six and a half inch 29 down the road. It was a great shooter, but came to me used with a bit more finish wear than I was happy with. Besides, I really wanted a four incher and thought, "Wouldn't nickel be sexy?" Well, there it was just waiting for me. It was wearing a set of rubber Pachmyer grips. What is it lately with rubber grips? There seem to be far too many of them in my life. As soon as I got home I threw them in a box-o-miscellaneous and put on this set of Bastogne Walnut Targets by John Culina. I didn't get what I went for and my search for Crockett 2.0 continues, but I'm not going to complain.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-29-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

oh. My...

That is all - I'm in awe.

Wow! Outstanding!

You did well.

My first 29 was a 6 1/2" nickel. I regret trading it off. I also regret not buying another nickel 29. I havent seen many in the wild.

Very nice!

That is really some beautiful walnut, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Wow! Outstanding!

You did well.

My first 29 was a 6 1/2" nickel. I regret trading it off. I also regret not buying another nickel 29. I havent seen many in the wild.
    Thanks. I haven't seen many in nickel either, especially a four inch which is my preference. I had to try really hard to maintain a poker face when I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Very nice!

That is really some beautiful walnut, too.
    There was a time when wheel gun grip makers were plentiful. Now there are only a handful left and John Culina is one of the best.

I'm coveting right now.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

That is absolutely stunning, the grips are a perfect match.

Excellent find!

Jeebus, would you just stop?
    TWO great finds in the same month?
    Are you Irish? Cause you seem damn lucky to me.
    All I can seem to find are Hi-Points and Serpa's.
    Can I hire you to go gun shopping for me?

Seriously, awesome find.
    Last edited by wvincent; 04-29-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Are you Irish?
    As a matter of fact, yes.

User Tag List