Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Truth Behind Federals HST 124+p Ammo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    I believe I remember Doc saying something to the effect that Speer's short barrel 9 mm 124 +P Gold Dot is the same as the "non-short barrel" 124 +P Gold Dot, but that the other calibers in the short barrel line up can differ.
    I was actually thinking about the Gold Dot G2 147 which has has noticeably poorer performance out of short barrels.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/coll...ammunition/9mm

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by K.Hungus View Post
    Many thanks for the LINK
    USMC...helping enemies of America die for their countries since....1775 !

Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    Many thanks for the LINK
    You bet.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

From everything I have seen, the 124 +P HST in published gelatin tests looks to be one of the best performers out there. I've not done my own gelatin tests, but have tested the ammo in variety of guns for functional reliability and chronographed velocity. The ammo has been functionally reliable in at least 10 different semi-auto pistols, revolvers, and carbines I've tested it in. Velocities ranged from 1166 FPS in a 3.5" compact semi-auto pistol, to 1351 FPS in a 16" carbine.

That being said, I have to agree with the late Mr. Aagaard. It's shot placement. I've attended my share of autopsies. When fired from pistols, sometimes hollow points expand, sometimes they don't. Shot placement trumps all else......ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    From everything I have seen, the 124 +P HST in published gelatin tests looks to be one of the best performers out there. I've not done my own gelatin tests, but have tested the ammo in variety of guns for functional reliability and chronographed velocity. The ammo has been functionally reliable in at least 10 different semi-auto pistols, revolvers, and carbines I've tested it in. Velocities ranged from 1166 FPS in a 3.5" compact semi-auto pistol, to 1351 FPS in a 16" carbine.

That being said, I have to agree with the late Mr. Aagaard. It's shot placement. I've attended my share of autopsies. When fired from pistols, sometimes hollow points expand, sometimes they don't. Shot placement trumps all else......ymmv
    Shot placement is King
    USMC...helping enemies of America die for their countries since....1775 !

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the real (chronographed) difference between the 124 gr standard & the 124 gr +P load from 3.5" to 4" barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Everyone respects the good doctor...but so few follow his prescription:

Poor man. It must be like pulling teeth trying to get his message across.
    I see what you did there... a dentist joke...

Quote Originally Posted by blake_g View Post
    I see what you did there... a dentist joke...
    Nothing gets by you, Blake.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

IIRC NYPD uses 124 +p Gold Dot and it works very well for them. Las Vegas Metro PD uses it with very good results. It's my 9mm defensive ammo choice.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List