Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running the full classifier vs 5x5

Running the full classifier vs 5x5

Are clubs running the full classifier anymore, or has the new alternate 5x5 become the default classifier?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    My local club is running the 5x5 - much quicker to administer

My local club now uses the 5x5 kind of dissapointed $20 for a 25 round bs qualifier and no AIWB tell me again why I should continue to shoot IDPA?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    My local club now uses the 5x5 kind of dissapointed $20 for a 25 round bs qualifier and no AIWB tell me again why I should continue to shoot IDPA?
    That’s only once a year. Tell the match director to make it a stage in a larger match.

civiliandefender.com

I've mixed feelings about the change; I liked shooting the full classifier as a performance tracking course of fire. Of course, the new classifier is much more convenient and easier to administer.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Our club is running both, but they are limiting the full classifier to 12 shooters total. Everyone else will have to shoot the 5x5, but they can classify in two divisions.

There used to be a lot of complaints about the long, boring Classifier. So they shortened it. Nobody was impressed, so they cut it WAY down. Now it is too short and simple. Just can't please.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I like it. I think it’s a good test of skill.

civiliandefender.com

Site Supporter
    I like the old 90 round IDPA classifier.

I like the newer 72 round IDPA classifier.

I like the newest 5 x 5 classifier, too. I think it's an excellent little drill. But the longer classifiers are a more comprehensive test of a shooter's skill.

I really like shooting USPSA special classifier matches, too. I prefer classifiers and speed courses and simple field courses much more than the over complicated 32 round field courses that most of the guys at my local USPSA club like.

If you want to discover what skills you need to practice, shoot a bunch of classifiers (of either discipline) and record the parts that you had trouble with, and that information can guide your practice efforts going forward.

After trying a few things, we settled on running the 5x5 as part of a regular match. Our monthly matches consist of six stages often with one or two limited standards stages anyway. For match flow purposes, splitting the 5x5 into two bays, strings 1&2, and 3&4, seems to work well.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List