Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solid copper bullets

Solid copper bullets

Having recently picked up a new Glock 42, I have been doing quite a bit of research on ammo for it. My lcp has been stocked with Hornady xtp, but recently came across the Lehigh .380 extreme penetrator round. I'm intrigued, but skeptical.

I've always been a "heavy for caliber jhp" guy for my 9mm ammo. I know. 380 is a way different game and it's an anemic round where jhp's aren't known for great penetration and expansion.

I was reading on the www that solid copper projectiles are harder on barrels and have higher chamber pressures vs conventional ammo. I did a search here on PF and read all the info and thoughts on the Lehigh round but didn't really come across any discussions where this was talked about.

Any truth to these claims?

For the record this would be for a Glock 42.

Thanks,
    Drew
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 04-28-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling

Site Supporter
    Cooper? Designed by Jeff Copper?

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Cooper? Designed by Jeff Copper?

Sorry
    My bad, I was rushing my post due to my kids eating lunch and their needs. I'll try to edit later...

Here is a 22-page discussion about it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tor-Ammunition
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Thanks, I read that thread. It's 22 pages of 10mm and field pistol discussion regarding the Lehigh round.

Thanks for the spelling corrections Tom!

In 9mm, I use xtreme penetrator as my woods carry load... because penetration. In that caliber I would not use it in town... because of overpenetration risk. I use 124 +p gold dots anyplace where humans are present in any numbers. I'd be OK with an all-copper hollow point like a Barnes load if I weren't already happy with what I've got.

But I have essentially no experience with .380 and thus am hesitant to extrapolate to that caliber.
    Last edited by Salamander; 06-02-2018 at 12:05 AM.

I use Underwood Extreme Defender and Penetrator in 380 and 9mm. They combine the Lehigh bullets with their load, which is generally a bit hotter than Lehigh so it acjeives greater velocity. I load Penetrator in my Remington 380 to make up for the short barrel, and I use Penetrator in 9mm when out hiking or camping. My S&W SD9VE is always loaded with Defender. It is my house gun. I also have a new Taurus G2C and it too is loaded with Defender. It is slowly becoming my EDC gun.

Most if not all reputable ammo makers comply with SAAMI specs. Underwood and Lehigh do. So you are not,going to get a dangerous round from them. Copper bullets are not maelable ans so take a bit more energy to drive down the barrel. But I have researched the affect of monolithic copper bullets on a gun, and I found no conclusive evidence that properly loaded they are more likely to damage a barrel. Foe me, even if they did cause more wear on the barrel I would,still.use them. My three guns are for self defense. There is an ever growing amount of evidence that the monolithic hydrostatic bullets cause greater wounds than hollow points. Since I al protected my life I am willing to give up some barrel life to have the most lethal round loaded in my guns.

I use the Underwood / Lehigh Extreme Penetrator load in my .380 LCP1.2. I don't carry that gun very much, but I've settled on this load as the best compromise in this caliber.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    There is an ever growing amount of evidence that the monolithic hydrostatic bullets cause greater wounds than hollow points.
    What sort of evidence are you talking about?

I think most people here use non-expanding bullets for field carry, to increase penetration in case they need to shoot a large and dangerous animal. I believe those here who are legally able to, carry standard hollow points for anti-personnell use.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    There is an ever growing amount of evidence that the monolithic hydrostatic bullets cause greater wounds than hollow points. Since I al protected my life I am willing to give up some barrel life to have the most lethal round loaded in my guns.
    I am also interested in this evidence. Could you elaborate on it? Also, are you aware of any documented self defense shootings with it, especially any where they caused "greater wounds than hollow points"?

User Tag List