Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 Match Champion 10mm

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Because they want to sell 2,000 and not 20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are the production numbers on 10mm guns?

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What are the production numbers on 10mm guns?

Higher than the production numbers on 41 Magnum Ammunition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Can We Expect to See This Available?

I haven't seen anything about when we can expect this to start showing up for sale; has anyone else? Maybe I just missed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If they’re going to make the GP100 in 10mm, why don’t they make it in .41 magnum?

Ruger's making a couple distributor exclusive 41 Mags now. All on the Redhawk frame though.

The GP would make a nice 41 but probably only in a 5-shooter.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    there are few 10mm JHP projectiles that are designed to work at 10mm Auto velocities, and zero designed to work at 10mm Magnum velocities.
    I suppose that’s because JHPs do about as well as they’re going to do at 40 velocities. It isn’t going to expand more and you probably wouldn’t want it to given how much meat there is to work with; it might penetrate better which I wouldn’t mind but it would be too much for the FBI and the odd maxilliofacial artist. It would let you push HFC bullets, but the recoil from a 240 at 1000 would be too much for delicate shooters and probably the breech.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I suppose that’s because JHPs do about as well as they’re going to do at 40 velocities. It isn’t going to expand more and you probably wouldn’t want it to given how much meat there is to work with; it might penetrate better which I wouldn’t mind but it would be too much for the FBI and the odd maxilliofacial artist. It would let you push HFC bullets, but the recoil from a 240 at 1000 would be too much for delicate shooters and probably the breech.
    Right. I didn't provide much context for what I said there. You're quite right about JHP's at .40 velocities, at least as far as shooting people. I consider the 10mm Auto cartridge to be really a poor choice for duty/concealed carry/other forms of anti-personnel work. Where it's useful in my opinon is as a "field pistol." There aren't many JHP bullets in 10mm bore size that are geared towards deeper penetration, yet with a modicum of expansion. The 200 grain XTP is about the only exception I can think of. If kept in the 1050 to 1100 FPS range, it'll penetrate 22" to 24" and people report good sucess shooting larger deer and black bear with it. They will still blow right up at 10mm mag velocities.

That's where the .357 really has an advantage, in my opinion. It's one of the few true dual-use cartridges. You can buy milder loads like the Speer Gold dot carry loads that get that 12" to 18" penetration, and also buy more hunting oriented bullets and loads that give deeper penetration with some expansion. If you want to shoot through all the things, you can go to hard cast. So it's easier to tailor the ammo to the task at hand.

The options are a little more limited with the 10mm. My general purpose field load is a 200 grain XTP going 1100. The shoot through all the things load is a 200 grain hard cast. Sometimes our outings take us through urban/surburban areas on the way to the trail and I've got 175 grain Critical Duty for that. Some people decry that load as "just .40 power level" and I reply "exactly."
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I would be interested in a .41 mag GP100. I wonder if there's enough room for the rims though.

Realguns did a review and got 1185FPS with a 220 Grain Buffalo Bore load.
    This is exactly what Elmer Keith and Bill Jordan had in mind for the original .41 magnum as a police round. A 210 gr bullet at 1150 fps. Keith thought S&W should have come out with a revolver in between the K and N frames to handle the cartridge. He thought the N frame was too big for the .41 magnum, and cops wouldn't want to haul it around. It's a shame the L frame didn't come out until a decade and a half later, and that the .41 mag was too close to the .44 magnum.

Basically, the GP100 is an L frame gun, and the 10mm is a .41 special +p. I don't know if it makes any difference now, but it does appear to be a step above the .357 magnum.

Site Supporter
    Right. But if the 10mm case fits a little loosey goosey in the moon clip, the step in the chamber should keep it from driving too far forward for ignition to be erratic. The .40 S&W case has plenty of room to move forward with the force of the firing pin and get a click instead of a bang.
    Thanks, this makes sense to me now.

The 10mm/40 revolver makes some sense as a back-up gun. Or it did until the demise of the 40 as a law enforcement cartridge.

I always wanted Ruger to make a 40 S&W version of the LCR or SP101. Either would have made a nice back-up to an officer's duty pistol.

I don't think the cylinder on the LCR is big enough to accept anything bigger than 38/357 so anything else would require a medium frame of some sort. I'm actually surprised Ruger hasn't done this already. A bigger LCR would make a wonderful platform for a 6-shot 40 or 357. This same imaginary handgun could be the basis for a 5-shot 44SPL or 41 Mag. Or all of the above...

Anyway, I imagine this new GP is going to be fairly popular with the IDPA crowd for a little while. If Ruger wants to move into other competition venues they'll need a Match Champion Redhawk in 9mm or 38 S&W. Some type of "high cap" minor revolver.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

User Tag List