Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 Match Champion 10mm

My ears perked up when I saw that Quinn had his bored out for 10mm magnum, then, as it always does, the realization set in that there are few 10mm JHP projectiles that are designed to work at 10mm Auto velocities, and zero designed to work at 10mm Magnum velocities.

You could get a 200 grain or maybe even 220-grain hardcast load stepping out at some pretty good velocities though...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I have an older GP100 4in that I'd always sort of planned to send to Clements. Now I guess I don't have to.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Maybe I'm just veering out of my lane. Nothing on the Ruger site mentions the ability to shoot .40 S&W from the GP or the SRH, and the 10mm Blackhawks come with .40 S&W cylinders. But I see the 610 was able to headspace .40 on the clips and run it. My assumption was that the headspacing would work the way the cartridge was designed to work.
    FYI, through the web site form, I asked Ruger CS about the lack of mention of .40 S&W in their marketing and got this back via email:

The 10MM will function, and has been tested with 40 S&W caliber ammunition, but may misfire (fail to fire) with some commercial ammunition. For this reason, Ruger does not recommend the use of 40 S&W ammunition in this revolver.

Ruger Customer Service
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I have an older GP100 4in that I'd always sort of planned to send to Clements. Now I guess I don't have to.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Gotta love it when buying a new guns SAVES you money.

Site Supporter
    FYI, through the web site form, I asked Ruger CS about the lack of mention of .40 S&W in their marketing and got this back via email:
    That response makes no sense - still small pistol primers

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Maybe I'm just veering out of my lane. Nothing on the Ruger site mentions the ability to shoot .40 S&W from the GP or the SRH, and the 10mm Blackhawks come with .40 S&W cylinders. But I see the 610 was able to headspace .40 on the clips and run it. My assumption was that the headspacing would work the way the cartridge was designed to work.

I do like that the 10mm MC appears to have a Ruger-style front sight instead of the Novak dovetail.
    The Blackhawks don't use moonclips, so the rounds have to headspace on the case mouths. Or am I missing something?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The Blackhawks don't use moonclips, so the rounds have to headspace on the case mouths. Or am I missing something?
    That's my understanding too, so if you are missing something, so am I....
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    So obviously, the Blackhawks headspace on the case mouths.

But the SRH and GP use moon clips. While it's possible to headspace on the moon clips, it's not necessarily best practice. I have seen enough issues with inconsistency of rim groove dimensions and variation between brands that I wouldn't be at all surprised to find some brands of ammo tended to have problems when headspacing on the clip. Some are nice and square, with a crisp corner. Others tend to be a little more rounded, maybe due to a more worn tool. I haven't done a full engineering program, but I can imagine a variety of ways that headspacing on the clip could go wrong and lead to inconsistent ignition. Certainly enough that I believe Ruger's statement.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Someone else here may have mentioned it, but when I look at my Hornady Ballistics charts, it seems like the only real advantage this has from the get-go over a .357 magnum GP100 is that you're using moonclips for a faster reload.

Or if you've got a Glock G20 you achieve ammunition commonality.

But ballistically, unless someone knows something I don't (which in this case is a pretty low bar), I'm just not seeing any significant advantage inherent to the 10mm cartridge chambering over .357 magnum...

From the Hornady chart:

.357 Magnum 158 gr XTP: Velocity: 1250 Muzzle Energy: 548 Energy @ 50 yards: 463

10mm 155 gr XTP: Velocity: 1265 Muzzle Energy: 551 Energy @ 50 yards: 430

Am I missing something?

While I don't doubt it's a great gun, and I applaud Ruger for coming out with the chambering, for me personally it's a bit of a "Meh..." compared to my GP100 in .357.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

But ballistically, unless someone knows something I don't (which in this case is a pretty low bar), I'm just not seeing any significant advantage inherent to the 10mm cartridge chambering over .357 magnum...
    Nope, I don't think you are missing anything. As much as I love the 10mm AUTO cartridge, sticking it in a revolver makes very little sense aside from the oddball, gee-whiz factor.

I'm going revolver shopping this fall, and will probably wind up with a GP100 in .357.

User Tag List