Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ruger GP100 Match Champion 10mm

I'm actually a bit more tempted by the Redhawk in .45 Colt/.45 ACP, but so far I'm restraining myself...

Best, Jon

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'm actually a bit more tempted by the Redhawk in .45 Colt/.45 ACP, but so far I'm restraining myself...

Best, Jon
    It's the gun I really want to work. Rubber grips have improved it quite a bit for me. Now I just need to get this firing pin installed so it's reliable. My armorer is machining a tool to unscrew the bushing, but it'll be a few weeks before I'm down in his neck of the woods to drop it off.

I'd probably have been better off just buying a dedicated .45 Colt gun. I reload, so ammo cost isn't a big deal. Other than the "neat-o" factor I'm not gaining much from the .45 Auto capability.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Guns America article with some pics.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's the gun I really want to work. Rubber grips have improved it quite a bit for me. Now I just need to get this firing pin installed so it's reliable. My armorer is machining a tool to unscrew the bushing, but it'll be a few weeks before I'm down in his neck of the woods to drop it off.

I'd probably have been better off just buying a dedicated .45 Colt gun. I reload, so ammo cost isn't a big deal. Other than the "neat-o" factor I'm not gaining much from the .45 Auto capability.
    I just picked up an older Redhawk in 45 colt. This isn't the convertible model. All of my other Redhawks have the 7.5 inch barrel. This 4.2" barrel is quite nice (and stout). I'm debating on what mold to buy first.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andre3k; 05-07-2018 at 09:38 PM.

I got to check out the new 8-shot Redhawk 357 Magnum this morning. With a spring kit and some polishing it might make a fun gun to run in USPSA.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I got to check out the new 8-shot Redhawk 357 Magnum this morning. With a spring kit and some polishing it might make a fun gun to run in USPSA.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    One of the guys I shoot with picked one up to run in ICORE and last I spoke to him, he was not able to get the trigger to how he would like it. He tried to explain to me how the RH trigger differs from the GP but having never owned a RH much less messed with the trigger I did not exactly understand the issue.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    One of the guys I shoot with picked one up to run in ICORE and last I spoke to him, he was not able to get the trigger to how he would like it. He tried to explain to me how the RH trigger differs from the GP but having never owned a RH much less messed with the trigger I did not exactly understand the issue.
    The RH has it's own "guts" and it relies on one spring. The SRH uses the same spring setup as the GP100.

The RH stacks a lot more, a very noticeable ledge before firing. It's also a heavier trigger, and needs to be to ensure adequate hammer velocity for reliable ignition.

RH also suffer from from light strikes much more often than SRH/GP.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The RH has it's own "guts" and it relies on one spring. The SRH uses the same spring setup as the GP100.

The RH stacks a lot more, a very noticeable ledge before firing. It's also a heavier trigger, and needs to be to ensure adequate hammer velocity for reliable ignition.

RH also suffer from from light strikes much more often than SRH/GP.
    What he said..it's my understanding that the "one spring" set-up of the Red Hawk really limits the amount of triggerpull weight tuning. I suspect that the only real way to get a perceptibly lighter triggerpull with reliable ignition would be via a thorough, deep true action job, involving an in-depth cleaning and tweaking of the entire receiver, action components and and sub-components.

Performed, needless to say, by a skilled and competent Ruger gunsmith. It obviously entails much more then simply swapping springs....

I had such an action job performed on my GP100; it enables using lower-strength mainsprings and trigger return springs, with complete reliability within primer limitations.

My smoothest-action Ruger revolvers are my 1978 Stainless Steel Security Six and my Stainless Steel Blackhawk (custom tuned by Ruger for me). The GP100 is quite nice, but the other two have a smoother triggerpull-not that I'm complainging about the GP100s, particularly when compared to an OEM GP triggerpull.

Best, Jon

Been contemplating the MC in a 10mm format. Just traded a Kimber K6s 2" for a 357 MC and no regrets as I am snubby poor in other brands. Always wanted a 686 MG 6 shot 357 but never had the money at the right time. So the 357 MC was kind of a grail gun for me. So do I keep the 357 MC or trade for the 40 caliber MC?

After a fair amount of deliberation I am keeping the 357MC. It is set up the way I want and I also own a Model 69 44 4.2" that serves my big bore needs. My intent is to shoot 170 grain + bullet over a generous amount of 296. This will suffice for low land field trips and hikes. Love the concept and if I didn't have the 357MC I would purchase the 10mm in a heartbeat.

User Tag List