Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Affordable AR for rural area.

Affordable AR for rural area.

Im looking for an affordable general purpose AR. I live in a semi rural area in Oregon so honestly most likely use will be an occasional coyote but I want something dependable that could be used for home defense. I’m thinking m&p sport optics ready with Leupold mark AR 1.5-4. I’m no expert so wanted to throw it out there if some of you guys have a better solution I’m all ears.
    Thanks

I love my PSA rifle so far. Don’t have many rounds through it yet, about 200, but it’s been flawless with cheap steel cases ammo and the fit and finish is great! The upper and lower fit very well with no slip. It’s a freedom barrel with all the features I wanted, free float m lok rail, mid length gas system, full auto bcg, bolt that is marked hp/mpi, their EPT trigger. Full disclosure, I had to center the gas block when I received it bc it wasn’t perfectly at 12 o’clock, probably would have worked fine though. I also had to get the charging handle replaced bc the latch pin hole was out of spec and the pin was loose. They took good care of me on that though, all I did was email them with my order number and a description of the problem and they put a new charging handle in the mail. The rail is only secured by clamp screws at the bottom, and I did have it move on my a bit, but I tightened it down and used some loctite made specifically for such purposes and don’t expect to have any issues going forward. The barrel isn’t 100% perfectly center in the rail, just a touch closer to the bottom than the top, I’m talking like 1mm difference if that. Most probably wouldn’t even notice, but I’m a perfectionist lol. All in all I am very impressed for the price I paid. Their daily deals are great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by leathermaneod; 04-26-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Im looking for an affordable general purpose AR. I live in a semi rural area in Oregon so honestly most likely use will be an occasional coyote but I want something dependable that could be used for home defense. I’m thinking m&p sport optics ready with Leupold mark AR 1.5-4. I’m no expert so wanted to throw it out there if some of you guys have a better solution I’m all ears.
    Thanks
    Colt 6920 or an M&P 15 would fit that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    I love my PSA rifle so far. Don’t have many rounds through it yet, about 200, but it’s been flawless with cheap steel cases ammo and the fit and finish is great! The upper and lower fit very well with no slip. It’s a freedom barrel with all the features I wanted, free float m lok rail, mid length gas system, full auto bcg, bolt that is marked hp/mpi, their EPT trigger. Full disclosure, I had to center the gas block when I received it bc it wasn’t perfectly at 12 o’clock, probably would have worked fine though. I also had to get the charging handle replaced bc the latch pin hole was out of spec and the pin was loose. They took good care of me on that though, all I did was email them with my order number and a description of the problem and they put a new charging handle in the mail. The rail is only secured by clamp screws at the bottom, and I did have it move on my a bit, but I tightened it down and used some loctite made specifically for such purposes and don’t expect to have any issues going forward. The barrel isn’t 100% perfectly center in the rail, just a touch closer to the bottom than the top, I’m talking like 1mm difference if that. Most probably wouldn’t even notice, but I’m a perfectionist lol. All in all I am very impressed for the price I paid. Their daily deals are great!

200 rounds isn't even remotely close to the round count needed to call something flawless. Fit and finish is also pretty irrelevant to what he's looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Colt 6920 or an M&P 15 would fit that bill.

200 rounds isn't even remotely close to the round count needed to call something flawless. Fit and finish is also pretty irrelevant to what he's looking for.
    You’ll notice I was careful to say that I only had 200 rounds through it and that is what I’m basing my experience on. You’ll also notice that I was careful to outline the minor issues I did have.

Fit and finish may not be import to you, but it is to me and many others. As for what is important for the OP’s purposes, I’ll let him be the judge of that. I offered my experience with a rifle I thought might be of interest to him.

You seem to be making it your mission to discount my experience and put PSA down, care to share your recent and personal experience with them to illustrate why?

Site Supporter
    I have two PSA rifle, but I haven't put enough rounds through them to say if they are good rifles or not. If I were getting those rifles over again, I might look at this Aero precision rifle at Brownells (LINK). I don't have any experience with Aero precision, but based on other's comments, I think that they are a reputable manufacturer. AIM Surplus has an Aero Precision for $50 cheaper (LINK).

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    You’ll notice I was careful to say that I only had 200 rounds through it and that is what I’m basing my experience on. You’ll also notice that I was careful to outline the minor issues I did have.

Fit and finish may not be import to you, but it is to me and many others. As for what is important for the OP’s purposes, I’ll let him be the judge of that. I offered my experience with a rifle I thought might be of interest to him.

You seem to be making it your mission to discount my experience and put PSA down, care to share your recent and personal experience with them to illustrate why?

You're recommending rifles that have a long track record of being poor quality with a self admitted 200 rounds worth of experience. There's no mission on my part other than to dispel the bad info you're putting out. It's nothing personal.

My personal experience with PSA rifles and parts are that they are a crap shoot at best and my recommendation is to stay away from them unless they're a range toy. Even then I'd recommend spending a few hundred more on a rifle with a proven track record.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I have two PSA rifle, but I haven't put enough rounds through them to say if they are good rifles or not. If I were getting those rifles over again, I might look at this Aero precision rifle at Brownells (LINK). I don't have any experience with Aero precision, but based on other's comments, I think that they are a reputable manufacturer. AIM Surplus has an Aero Precision for $50 cheaper (LINK).
    A great suggestion. I was looking at Aero precision before I bought my PSA, but at the time, everything of theirs that I was interested in was out of stock. After I found PSA and saw the deals that were to be had, I decided it wasn’t worth waiting to see when Aero would be back in stock. I do want to build my next rifle with some Aero components though :-)

If I were to go for cheap, I'd probably get a Colt Expanse (Summit link) for $675
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    You're recommending rifles that have a long track record of being poor quality with a self admitted 200 rounds worth of experience. There's no mission on my part other than to dispel the bad info you're putting out. It's nothing personal.

My personal experience with PSA rifles and parts are that they are a crap shoot at best and my recommendation is to stay away from them unless they're a range toy. Even then I'd recommend spending a few hundred more on a rifle with a proven track record.
    That’s fair. For now we’ll have to agree to disagree. Hopefully their are no hard feelings. My opinion may change after I get more time and rounds behind my rifle. Hopefully not, but we’ll see :-)

I recommend against a non-free-floated handguard or an A2 fixed sight/gas block unless you know you want that configuration (eg 6920 or Expanse).

PSA has some good deals right now, and if cost is a concern, I’d look closely at those.

Another option is to get a PSA or other lower, and a BCM upper. Or even better, a complete BCM.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-26-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List