Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Affordable AR for rural area.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Which line of rifles are you talking about?

There's a dramatic difference between the Premium line and PTAC. One is held to a standard, individual MPI/HPT bolts, etc.....the others are seconds, often out of spec. PSA practically says so, or at least used to in the past.
    The uppers and lowers I had problems with were all from the Premium line, supposedly. None of the stuff I ordered was the PTAC or Freedom line.

I put "rural use for coyotes" and "home defense" in two separate categories. Not that they require two different guns, but my criteria and desired quality level is entirely different for each. For hunting or riding on a quad/tractor, I'd be perfectly content with a home-built parts gun assembled from whomever I felt like buying parts from (PSA/Aero/Spikes/Etc). On the other hand, my preference for HD/social gun would be a known quality complete factory carbine or complete factory lower plus complete factory upper.

A home assembled lower isn't the end of the world, but I have personally seen people screw them up. Factory built/assembled upper is a must, IMO, and I'd happily take any of the following... Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, and KAC. Although I've since moved to a non-modified but accessorized semi-auto 12ga for HD, I used a Noveske factory complete upper and Noveske lower I assembled with a DD LPK. It kind of contradicts my recommendation, but this lower has given me 100% reliable service for the last eight years. I would buy a complete if doing another today. Would love to recommend Noveske, but I've read too many not-so-favorable things about them since John's untimely death.

Everyone has their opinions, preferences and standards. Those are simply mine.
    Last edited by StraitR; 04-27-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Im looking for an affordable general purpose AR. I live in a semi rural area in Oregon so honestly most likely use will be an occasional coyote but I want something dependable that could be used for home defense. I’m thinking m&p sport optics ready with Leupold mark AR 1.5-4. I’m no expert so wanted to throw it out there if some of you guys have a better solution I’m all ears.
    Thanks
    I'd stretch the budget a little and go Colt 6920. You'll wish you had at some point in the future, and they're not going to get cheaper.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Which is a better deal? Which will give more opportunity to modify for specific uses?

BCM Lower (Blem) $350
    BCM 16" Mid Length (ENHANCED Light Weight) Upper Receiver Group w/ BCM MCMR-13 Handguard, with BCG and CH: $817
    Total: $1167
    Name:  BCM.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  17.9 KB

Colt 6920: $978
    Name:  7000_3.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  18.2 KB
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-27-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Do we think that that bcm combo would be better set up than the colt ccu? Just asking because price would be close at that point. Also would that leupy mark AR still be a reasonably appropriate optic choice with that rifle?
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Do we think that that bcm combo would be better set up than the colt ccu? Just asking because price would be close at that point. Also would that leupy mark AR still be a reasonably appropriate optic choice with that rifle?
    Thx
    Everyone is going to have their brand preferences, but I don't think there's much difference between those guns. The CCU is Colt's first foray into a design that BCM has been producing for a long time. I've read good things about it, but have not tested it personally. For that reason alone, I'd go with the BCM.

Cheap, low power variables are a deep rabbit hole, and will probably generate a lot more posts. Here's what I would try for if this was going to be my gun:

True 1x (not 1.5)
    Daylight bright illumination (hard to find at that price point)
    Etched reticle that's highly visible if the illumination fails
    Good warranty (at this price, you will probably need it)

Check out the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x.

Also the new Nikon Black Force1000 may be good. My buddy runs part of their sport optics division, and had a lot of input in the design.

Oh, yeah, since this is Oregon you might give some thought to how this scope will/won't work in the rain. Offset backup sights may be helpful.

Or go with a red dot? If you're shooting inside 300 yds... that could work.

(OK, I'm done editing this post. Got to get back to work).
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-27-2018 at 01:47 PM.

How about the larue ultimate upper kit for this role? Seems like great value for $800 ish, thinking 16” predatAR.
    Thoughts on adding larue lower for $200 additional, or would aero or something similar for around $100 be good enough?
    Thx
    Colby

My experience is that LaRue chambers are more finicky with ammo than BCM.

Ok. Good to know. Thanks.

S&W M&P15 MOE for $700 is a pretty good deal. https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wes...-mid-5-56.html Also in FDE furniture for the same price if that's your thing.

They also have M&P15T with a free float quad rail for $700, but this version has a recessed target crown with no threads on the barrel. It'd probably be hell on coyotes though. https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wes...l-package.html

The 5R 1:8 melonite barrels that Smith uses in these guns will probably be quite accurate for your application.

Edit to add: If you can save a few hundred or more on the rifle by getting a factory S&W on sale, and then put that money toward a higher quality optic, you'd probably be further ahead in some ways. But that is all based on application and preference.

Good luck!!

Edit again: Here is the M&P 15T with free float rail and threaded barrel for $750 https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wes...-tactical.html
    Last edited by frozentundra; 05-27-2018 at 11:11 PM.

User Tag List