Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Six vs. seven shot for back country carry revolver

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    First of all, I think it's reasonably well established that a USP .45 is probably a better backcountry pistol than a revolver.

With that out of the way, and assuming that "because reasons," someone wanted to do otherwise, like carry a .357 revolver, what does the hive mind think about six vs. seven shots?

Adding a response to the first reply: Generally, the threat concern would be black bear, mountain lion, canines of all shapes and sizes, wild pigs, etc. Four-legged stuff in 48 states outside the northern Rockies. Understood that most of those tend to make themselves scarce - until they don't. Possibly two-legged, but not a primary concern.

Both L frame and GP100 can be had both ways now. One more round vs. departing from standard support gear. Limited selection of configurations. Speed loaders for L frame are available, but not inexpensive. I haven't figured out whether they work for the GP cylinders. I haven't found whether speed strips with the right spacing for seven-shot cylinders are available. If holsters are molded for cylinder flutes, they won't quite fit right.

There's also the eight shot option in an N-frame, but for some reason, I'm not very interested in that. I probably would be, if they made one that looked like this:
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-629
    Tell me why that is wrong, if you have an opinion.
    Not sure that I'd go 357 when a G19 does essentially the same thing with a lot more shooting between reloads. On the occasions that I choose to tolerate a revolver's limitations, I step up to a 44 Magnum.

To answer the actual question, I'd probably go with six because the revolver-facing of my reptile brain works in increments of six.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

[*]If you also happen to carry something with a "shoulder thing," such as a lever action carbine, then being able to share ammo between them would be convenient.
    It would be convenient if both weapons shoot them well, which they may not. This was a big deal for pioneers, cowboys, and mountain men who might have expected to get in extended gun fights over a period of months while they were hundreds of miles from resupply. Today it's less of an issue, and it's no big deal to carry enough ammo for each weapon to get back to the truck in one piece.

[*].357 Magnums with appropriately selected bullets out of an 18-inch barrel will take care of some business, and it'll make taking the opportunity varmint or beer can with a 125gr .38 SPL that much easier and more humane.
    Also, compare POI if you plan to switch bullet weights regularly. It can vary pretty dramatically in both handguns and long guns, in windage as well as in elevation.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

When I am out in the desert or mountains of AZ.... this is all I carry outside of my 12 gauge truck gun. With my light magnum handloads it is very manageable, powerful and accurate at distance and close in. But again I am biased as years ago, when I was mid 30's, I went from hicap polymer to revolver.... instead of the other way around for no other reason that I like to carry and shoot them and think there is nothing better than a 5 or 6 shot wood and steel work of art.

If I need anything more for any 2 or 4 legged creatures I encounter, I should have brought a platoon and with comms to CAS with me.

Last edited by eb07; 05-10-2018 at 10:09 AM.

To me there is just something inherently wrong about a revolver that isn't 5 or preferably 6 shots.....

I had wondered if there would be any issues with the 7-shot GP100, and now, seeing that some ammo will not allow a seventh cartridge to be chambered, I will scratch that particular “upgrade” from my to-do list. While it is ideal to either measure or otherwise test-fit every cartridge, before trusting it for defensive purposes, I would rather carry a weapon that did not require such close cartridge rim tolerances.

Another issue, in my personal situation, is that I would not wish to remove my several six-shot GP100 revolvers from service, so would have to deal with differing speed loaders, or perhaps eliminate speed loaders from the carry equation. No, I will stay with six-shot GP100 revolving pistols, and my favored speed loaders.

On the subject of the desirability of a seventh round, in general, I doubt I would feel any less comforted by a six-shot revolver, in comparison with a seven-shot revolver. Eight, on the other hand, might be a different story. For orthopedic reasons, I only shoot quite light loads in Airlite revolvers, and believe in carrying that with which I have trained, so do like the idea of eight shots of those light loads in my S&W Model 327PC.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-20-2018 at 05:33 PM.

I had a 7-shot S&W Mountain Gun gun, but FWIW would have been just as comfortable carrying a traditional 6-shot revolver....

Site Supporter
    I'm a longtime rambler, hiker, camper, hunter in the mountains of VA and have carried a 4" S&W 629 loaded with moderately hot 44special-level loads (265gr LSWC at 950fps). However, even with the round butt grip frame, it's still a bit annoying to conceal (necessary when not hunting) and heavy. Outside of a very large black bear (which I've only encountered once and dealt with by yelling at it), there's not much there that a 9mm can't handle, so I've started using my G19.3 as my field gun.

I feel kind of sad that the 629 no longer gets any love (and the Redhawk gets even less). Maybe I'll throw some conversion grips on it so it'll make a better range toy.

Chris

User Tag List