Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Six vs. seven shot for back country carry revolver

Site Supporter
    My initial reaction is 7 shot. However, I've read reports of GP and Smith 7 shots that have had problems with binding up as there was interference between the rims - it's been a little while, but my gut would say that might only be a problem with extraction.

For dead nuts, I'd go for the 6 shot for that reason alone. But I really want the 7 shot to be just as reliable.

I have had to fire exactly two rounds (of 45 ACP) in 25 years of back country travel. I live rural. It was a feral hog attacking my dog and myself. 230gr speer gold dot flying ashtrays out of a 1911.

Now I carry a 6 shot 4" Model 19 now with 6 158gr speer gold dot deep curls. That will take care of anything in my AO of I do my job and put the rounds on target. But I have gone from semis to revolvers for rural and concealed carry so I am kind of biased.
    Last edited by eb07; 04-26-2018 at 08:27 PM.

12+1 for the win!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    My initial reaction is 7 shot. However, I've read reports of GP and Smith 7 shots that have had problems with binding up as there was interference between the rims - it's been a little while, but my gut would say that might only be a problem with extraction.

For dead nuts, I'd go for the 6 shot for that reason alone. But I really want the 7 shot to be just as reliable.
    I know zero about the Ruger GP, I havent heard of any problems specific to S&W 7 shooters. Not sure what the rim problem could be, but theres none I know of, the rims certainly dont touch each other, if that was somehow indicated. My dad shot one for several years on plates and stuff. I still have a pile of loaded moon clips that he had. He traded the gun off I believe, unfortunately.

The only thing that comes to mind with rims is some brands of brass have deeper/shallower grooves on the case body and take a specific moon clip compared to other brands of cases. The simple solution is dont use that make of brass with moons, or only use that make. Like most that shoot 38 spl, I have scads of mixed brass, but dont use moons, so it doesnt matter.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    12+1 for the win!
    This!

If I was going revolver, it would be .44 mag and up. I like the USP45 / .45 Super combo. 12+1 of a load that is essentially close to Elmer Keith’s hot .44 special load.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I took a walk outside in some fresh air. It's actually a nice day here in Houston, as we got weather imported from points north.

My organized thoughts:
    There are only two "reasons" I can articulate for carrying a revolver over a semi:
    • I think it would be pleasant to walk around out in nature in an open carry environment with a nice revolver on my belt, if I didn't really expect to need it (low odds and low severity). Will six shots do "nice revolver" just as well as seven? Certainly, and one could make the argument, due to the support equipment topic, that it would do it even better. It's also nice to not have to think about putting your brass in a lathe and detailing the rim.
    • If you also happen to carry something with a "shoulder thing," such as a lever action carbine, then being able to share ammo between them would be convenient. .357 Magnums with appropriately selected bullets out of an 18-inch barrel will take care of some business, and it'll make taking the opportunity varmint or beer can with a 125gr .38 SPL that much easier and more humane. It still maps if you prefer calibers that start with 4. As discussed in other threads, walking around open carrying a couple guns that were and/or look like they were originally designed in the 19th century would go over a lot better in some places than almost any flavor of modern long gun and accompanying poly pistol.

If there's anything about the situation that warrants going to seven shots over six on a sidearm, then a smart person would just skip past seven and eight to the nine to 19 that a semi will provide, depending on size of round and size of gun. Apart from aesthetics and ammo sharing with a trustworthy shoulder weapon of useful power, the semi wins every metric. Lighter, more rounds, easier/faster reloads with less chance of a fumble, easier to carry reloads on a belt, and probably costs less. .45 Super is as close as matters to .357, and if 13 or 25 rounds of that won't get it done, then you're probably already dead. If there's a real risk of that, you should definitely keep a shoulder weapon nearby. If you don't need the power of .45 Super for critters where you are, load up HST +P and rock on. Or take a USP .40. And so on down the line.

A GP100 MC or one of the blued, 5-inch half-lugs could be a pretty nice revolver, I reckon.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04-26-2018 at 11:14 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I know zero about the Ruger GP, I havent heard of any problems specific to S&W 7 shooters. Not sure what the rim problem could be, but theres none I know of, the rims certainly dont touch each other, if that was somehow indicated. My dad shot one for several years on plates and stuff. I still have a pile of loaded moon clips that he had. He traded the gun off I believe, unfortunately.

The only thing that comes to mind with rims is some brands of brass have deeper/shallower grooves on the case body and take a specific moon clip compared to other brands of cases. The simple solution is dont use that make of brass with moons, or only use that make. Like most that shoot 38 spl, I have scads of mixed brass, but dont use moons, so it doesnt matter.
    https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vi...c.php?t=264477

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETlvR8zezgo

This issue has made me zero in on 6 round revolvers, regardless if it's a manufacturer issue or whatnot. Just not worth it to me.

While the idea of an immediately available 7th shot is tempting, given the somewhat complex revolver reloading process, the reality as I see it is that 6 rounds is probably adequate for the occasions when I carry a revolver (urban daylight carry, nightstand home defense, hunting (either as a primary or back-up), or hiking.

Since I use all my carry guns for competition (primarily IDPA), preferring to concurrently compete with the same gun that I'm carrying, while I COULD use a 7-shot revolver in IDPA, I could only load 6 chambers. That alone pretty much kills the attraction of a 7-shot for me.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-04-2018 at 07:48 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    A GP100 MC or one of the blued, 5-inch half-lugs could be a pretty nice revolver, I reckon.
    "Get both..." Dammit. Never been made before in ~three decades. Probably won't be made again. Don't want to end up back where I belong in a semi-arid climate in five or ten years and not be able to find one.

I obviously have no need of Stephanie's help.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-08-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Due to decades of use I operate the 6 shot revolver in 357. Carry a Match Champion in 357 and it is as close to a S&W 357 Mountain Gun as I can easily obtain. Carry fully stoked 173 gr Keiths over a large helping of 2400. Higher country I carry a Ruger Scout Rifle in 308 and a 44.

User Tag List