Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Chevy/GMC 5.3 V8 truck owners here?

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    What years were you looking at? The pre-07 GM 5.3s were pretty bombproof. The 07-14 5.3s were hit and miss. Some never had issues while others had almost constant issues with excessive oil consumption due to the Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation that GM implemented. Plenty written about this and other issues with these engines on the interwebs. For the most part the 15-present GM 5.3s have been pretty solid.
    I was looking at 14s and up, sounds like I should stick to 15s and up?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I forgot to mention it gets good mileage for a truck V8. What exactly was your question?
    Sorry, just looking for real world data.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Just doing research.
    Sorry, just looking for real world data.
    Research answer, yes.
    Other extraneous not asked for data, doesn't help.

Site Supporter
    Solid engine, mediocre transmission (4L60E), decent chassis. Engine is solid enough to be amongst the more popular drag race builds (4.8 being more popular, trading displacement for block stability/RPM and boost).

You don't have anything to worry about, as long as the transmission isn't giving funky signs going on, or the fluid doesn't carry any signs of abuse/neglect/lack of maintenence.

I would skip models with cylinder deactivation - introduces more parts for failure, for minimal amounts of benefits.
    Last edited by jeep45238; 04-26-2018 at 09:21 AM.

'14 4x4 w/76k...

My truck has been very reliable. Two warranty issues, transmission cooler lines and radiator/thermostat replaced a 75k.
    Both items were a result of TSB's that I was unaware of and brought to my attention during a regular oil change.

Mine is geared w/ 342's and I get very decent mpg's at highways speeds. Cruise control at 70 on the interstate regularly shows 22 mpg, calculated manually.

Mine is also the flex fuel , however I have not had any issues.

Solid truck. After I get another 150k + out of it I would be inclined to buy another.

From 2002-2006 I worked in a quick lube in a rural farm town and almost none of '99-06 Chevy trucks had any issues, and we had plenty of regulars with them. From 2006 to '15 or '16 we've had 5.3l 1500 extended cab 4x4 pickups as patrol vehicles doing armed security. I don't recall any issues but the suspension was softer than I would like, especially on the dirt patrol roads. I prefer the Chevy's we're phasing out to the Ram 1500's that we got to replace them but not by much.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 04-26-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Sorry meant to say 07-14 in my post. I’ll see if I can edit. I would try to track down one with 3.42 gears though. They’re a little underwhelming with the 3.08 axle ratio IMO.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    What years were you looking at? The pre-07 GM 5.3s were pretty bombproof. The 07-14 5.3s were hit and miss. Some never had issues while others had almost constant issues with excessive oil consumption due to the Active Fuel Managenent cylinder deactivation that GM implemented. Plenty written about this and other issues with these engines on the interwebs. For the most part the 15-present GM 5.3s have been pretty solid.
    My '13 model had issues due to the active fuel management. Specifically, it was getting oil into one of the cylinders causing rough idling and other issues. Was fixed under warranty. Then it started doing it again..... Then it left my possession.

Both my Sierra and Suburban have the 5.3 Vortec engines with 147K and 134K respectively and so far no engine or tranny problems. In addition to normal maintenance, both have had to have wheel bearings, alternators and all brake lines replaced.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

2015 was the new model year. While I can’t speak to the Silverado/Sierra pick-ups, it was a significant body style change for the Tahoe/Yukon. The biggest difference being the 3rd row seats folding into the floor. While you sacrifice a little height, the convenience of not removing and storing 60lb seats was worth it.

Lane
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List