Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any Chevy/GMC 5.3 V8 truck owners here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    2015 was the new model year. While I can’t speak to the Silverado/Sierra pick-ups, it was a significant body style change for the Tahoe/Yukon. The biggest difference being the 3rd row seats folding into the floor. While you sacrifice a little height, the convenience of not removing and storing 60lb seats was worth it.

Lane
    Ive had two Suburbans with 3rd row seats. I never used them. I got tired of storing the first one and took it to the auto recyclers (wrecking yard) so they could store it, and did the same with the next one I bought.

Site Supporter
    Lots of experience with these. Awesome engines and very overbuilt. Interesting, though, in that for the Gen 5's like the L83 (5.3L direct injected) and L86 (6.2L direct injected) there are virtually no gaskets anywhere in the engine, it's all fill-in-place silicone sealant that works surprisingly well.

In my previous high-performance job, my boss developed a rather kick-ass twin turbo setup for these Gen 5 Chevy/GMC/Cadillac V8 trucks and we had a lot of fun. Our test bed was a '15 Silverado LTZ quad cab with the 5.3L and the 8L90E 8-spd auto trans. The factory fuel system ran out of steam just past 600whp and we did LOTS of 4wd burnouts and general hooning trying to break that truck. Lots of trailer-hauling from ABQ to Vegas and back (8-9hrs) and lots of demo rides to potential customers. 20-22mpg at highway speeds w/o trailer, too.
    It never hiccupped until my boss, Dave, decided to add methanol on top of the factory fuel system, got it dialed in at around 800whp, kept beating the truck like it owed him money, and then ended up not seeing the low-methanol alarm on the auxiliary injection system that was set up, which started the built engine program that has exceeded 1000whp basically as a rods/pistons/ARP studs build.
    Did quite a few Escalades and GMC Yukons. Lots of fun as built sleepers making 800+hp. One of our customers went all in with a built '16 6.2L Escalade ESV that ran high 11's with absolutely everything OEM quality or better. The only sacrifice in comfort or options vs a stock Escalade was a small amount of room in the rear taken up by a water/methanol tank, and a slightly louder exhaust note.

In short, yes, 15+ emphatically. 8L90E 8spd auto trans, emphatically.
    As a die hard Toyota guy, it pains me, but I would probably buy a new Gen V Chevy over a new Tundra.

And if you want some excitement, look up my good friend (and former boss) Dave at Armageddon Turbo Systems if you'd like a *very* exciting truck.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Lots of experience with these. Awesome engines and very overbuilt. Interesting, though, in that for the Gen 5's like the L83 (5.3L direct injected) and L86 (6.2L direct injected) there are virtually no gaskets anywhere in the engine, it's all fill-in-place silicone sealant that works surprisingly well.

In my previous high-performance job, my boss developed a rather kick-ass twin turbo setup for these Gen 5 Chevy/GMC/Cadillac V8 trucks and we had a lot of fun. Our test bed was a '15 Silverado LTZ quad cab with the 5.3L and the 8L90E 8-spd auto trans. The factory fuel system ran out of steam just past 600whp and we did LOTS of 4wd burnouts and general hooning trying to break that truck. Lots of trailer-hauling from ABQ to Vegas and back (8-9hrs) and lots of demo rides to potential customers. 20-22mpg at highway speeds w/o trailer, too.
    It never hiccupped until my boss, Dave, decided to add methanol on top of the factory fuel system, got it dialed in at around 800whp, kept beating the truck like it owed him money, and then ended up not seeing the low-methanol alarm on the auxiliary injection system that was set up, which started the built engine program that has exceeded 1000whp basically as a rods/pistons/ARP studs build.
    Did quite a few Escalades and GMC Yukons. Lots of fun as built sleepers making 800+hp. One of our customers went all in with a built '16 6.2L Escalade ESV that ran high 11's with absolutely everything OEM quality or better. The only sacrifice in comfort or options vs a stock Escalade was a small amount of room in the rear taken up by a water/methanol tank, and a slightly louder exhaust note.

In short, yes, 15+ emphatically. 8L90E 8spd auto trans, emphatically.
    As a die hard Toyota guy, it pains me, but I would probably buy a new Gen V Chevy over a new Tundra.

And if you want some excitement, look up my good friend (and former boss) Dave at Armageddon Turbo Systems if you'd like a *very* exciting truck.
    Damn...thanks for sharing!
    #RESIST

User Tag List