Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Dad shoots daughter's laptop over Facebook post

Maybe.

Maybe it's because enough of the girls I've been involved with have had serious daddy issues that I'm pretty biased against this type of behavior.

I have no problem openly stating that it is impossible for me to be objective about this. I think the way that guy behaved was the complete opposite of how an adult male should treat a nearly adult female, but, what do I know? My opinion, and reaction to this is entirely emotion/principal based, as I have no experience parenting a teenager. The only experience I have addressing dissatisfaction with my parenting job is with a 6 year old, and she isn't nearly articulate enough to say she will never wipe my butt for me because I make her clean her room to often

Ask me again in 7 years.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Mmmmmm... strippers smell like Chanel #5, glitter and Daddy issues.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Because she's actually fine or because she's afraid of what he'll shoot next?
    Because she's fine.
    #RESIST

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    he pubically humiliated her.
    Dude, you left out a very important "L", there.

The Romans pubically humiliated Boudicca's daughters and the Iceni burned Londinium to the frickin' ground.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Nice catch Tam, Thats the funniest thing I have read in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Dude, you left out a very important "L", there.

The Romans pubically humiliated Boudicca's daughters and the Iceni burned Londinium to the frickin' ground.

Hahahahahaha. Awesome!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

burned Londinium to the frickin' ground.
    Weaver or Iso?

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Weaver or Iso?
    Neither!!

Center-Axis Relock!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I think it is also a reflection of changing social norms.

First we had reality TV in which people were depicted doing over the top things, behaving badly, and carrying out in ways that most people would be embarrassed to do in public. They encouraged exhibitionism and bad behavior and over the top behavior.

Then we got twitter, blogs, and facebook, which while allowing people to share information with friends, chat, and socialize, also allows everyone to have their own reality show of sorts.

With the rise of blogs, facebook, and twitter there seems to ahve been a corresponding lowering of common sense.

I mean, people post things on their blogs/facebook/twitter like, "I wish I could find an old fashioned opium den" and then seem genuinely surprised that they were turned down for the job in the hospital running the pharmaceutical room.

I just want to say, thanks to this video, I've spent a good amount of time this week trying to explain to my friends on Facebook that:

1. This is not representative of the gun owners out there.
    2. This person is demonstrating a general ignorance of firearms.
    3. In general, random destruction of property with a firearm is frowned up in the firearms community.
    4. The use of a firearm based on an emotion is most certainly not condoned within the firearms community.
    5. The legality of the discharge of his firearm is dependent upon his local and state statures, and it is not automatically illegal.
    6. The chance of damage to the shooter from a ricochet or fragment of a bullet or the computer was, unfortunately, quite low.
    7. If he's open carrying out and about in public (ie: at the food store, not the Alaskan wilderness), he's going against recognized best practice for safe handling.

So while I'm annoyed that he's put our community in a very poor light (I've referred a number of people to this thread to see what knowledgeable, committed gun owners think about this), in a way I appreciate that he's given me an opportunity to explain things like the Four Rules, general firearms safety, and the responsibility that firearms ownership comes with to people who ordinarily would just have the attitude of "let's just ban 'em all".

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

User Tag List