Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbine Basics

I am no expert in the carbine field by any means, but I have used on in combat before and here area few points that I swear by.
    -The bolt needs to be wet
    -Zero irons to same POA/POI as your RDS and buy a quality RDS and irons. I like a 300yd zero, it is easy to wing it for shorter/longer distances. (EOtech or Aimpoint) If you buy a Barska or Tasco you are doing it wrong
    -Use P-mags. The feed lips break before they bend. They either work 100% or not at all. With metal mags, the lips can bend, they may work, they may not, it is hard to tell by looking at them. With a P-mag, a quick look can determine seviceability
    -A quality sling makes all the difference. But if it says blackhawk on it you are doing it wrong
    -Trigger control is vital for success. You will be amazed at the speed and accuracy, even with a less than perfect sight alignment/picture, you can get with excellent trigger control.
    -and for goodness sake, do not hang $10k in gay accessories off the damn thing. BUIS, RDS, rail, maybe a forward grip, and maybe a light and that is it (please no bayonet)
    -Oh, and if your rifle says bushmaster or DPMS you are doing it wrong

PM Sent.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quite a few mentions of the VTAC and BFG sling.

Single points are inferior to two points?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post

Opinions vary, but broadly "yes". The theory is that a two-point can do everything a single-point can, but can also do more. I don't find that to be exactly 100% correct, but it's close.

However, I have rigged up two BFG VCAS slings to work as one-to-two-point (after trying the Magpul MS2 and finding it sorely lacking) and I think this is the best setup I've found for a relatively short, lightweight, gun. As the gun gets heavier, the usefulness of the single-point option gets reduced, and I use a padded VCAS un-modified.

I recently got to use a Sheriff of Baghdad Sling from Mission Ready Equipment and love the simplicity and the way it adjusts. If they get to a padded version with QD connections at each end I would really like to try that. I'd also like to try the Magpul MS3 as it appears at first glance to have corrected some of the problems with the MS2.

Well, it depends of course. I know guys who are in SWAT units and who have conducted "assaulter" operations where they had short guns and rode or flew to the place where they had to go into and then fight inside. A lot of these guys swear by single points, and I can clearly understand why.

So figure out what purpose the sling would be serving on your carbine to support your "mission".

Site Supporter

I prefer a two-point with the rear point on the rear outside of the stock and the front point all the way forward on the inside of the handguard. This setup keeps the sling out of my way and provides the most stability when slung. I like the VTAC because it provides the most amount of adjustment. I leave the sling slack enough to shoot from my left shoulder without having to adjust the sling or drop an arm out of the loop.

Single Point sling has it's place.

For most folks, that place is in the catalog, and not on their carbine

A single point is far less versatile compared to a quality 2 point sling. Some may not need or want versatile and a single point might be the answer. For those who do want versatile, I'd suggest passing on the single point.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 02-11-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added content
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I recently got to use a Sheriff of Baghdad Sling from Mission Ready Equipment and love the simplicity and the way it adjusts. If they get to a padded version with QD connections at each end I would really like to try that. I'd also like to try the Magpul MS3 as it appears at first glance to have corrected some of the problems with the MS2.
    How dose the SOB sling compare to the VTAC. Given both "designers" came from the same unit and they are both 2-point slings it would seem that the differences would be minor. From just looking, the SOB seems a little "simpler"?

Regarding the OP question about slings, there isn't anything I can add to Sean and Rob's expert opinions other than say I'm currently quite happy with my VTAC slings. They are simple to use and adapt to a wide variety of mounting options. They allow me to use them as shooting slings by putting tension on the rifle as well as use them as a CQB sling for pistol transitions to making a nice "carrying strap" across my back.

SOB adjusts the reverse of the VTAC, if that makes sense. you pull the tail towards your body, instead of away from your body, to tighten it. I find the SOB more intuitive and easier to work with.

For more info specific to carbine equipment, etc., Rob S. has had the opportunity to T&E a lot of the more recent gadgets, gizmo's, dohickey's, add-ons, as well as quality accessories that are out there. I may not agree with every conclusion he has come to, but he is a wealth of information when it comes to the shit people hang off their guns. He also took the time some while ago to document who is making what, to what standard which has been published in the glossy picture magazines, reproduced by quality trainers, and referenced numerous times by me when pointing out pro's and con's to spending a large amount of money on a defensive carbine.

Worth picking his brain on the topic if you have specific questions about specific equipment.

User Tag List