Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbine Basics

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    I'm a faithful follower of Pat Rogers. In recent months, he is not only advocating RDS only for new shooters, but using a laser in the place of BUIS. I still have a fondness for iron sights, but would probably only train a new AR owner to hit a paper plate consistently at 50y and then move to the RDS. Please note that I have not evaluated a new AR shooters ability to hit that plate, it's just a thought.
    When we got together a few weeks ago, it was my first time touching an AR since a few hours out at Fort Dix when I was a kid in AFJROTC, and my first time ever with an RDS, I thought it was pretty easy to knock the 6" plate with your setup.

I was thinking that RDS + laser was the way to go too (not by experience or learning, just gut feeling); the value of a laser is well established, ditto for RDS. Indeed, irons for an AR are the same price as a laser...

J.Ja
    Last edited by jmjames; 02-10-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Typo
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Site Supporter
    Problems with a quality carbine should be evident quickly but some may not show up till you run the gun hard.

We run the 100 yard zero at work but I prefer the 50/200 zero for personal use. Zero can change and needs to be checked periodically. Loc-tite and witness marks are a necessity for anything with screws, they loosen up easily on the rifle. I learned that one the hard way when my back up sight hit the dirt during a class..

I've been using the Brownells GI mags with Mag-Pul followers in my personal guns since 2007 with good results. We use a mix of Colt GI and PMAGS at work. We recommend 28 rounds in the GI mags 30 in the PMAGS.

Less is more. A 2 point Sling, RDS and white light are the basics.

Slings - I've had good results with both the VTAC and BlueForce Vickers slings. We finally replaced our ghetto fabulous 3 points with padded VTACS at work.

RDS - Aimpoint - based on relaibility and battery life. The Aimpoint Pro is the best deal going right now: http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoin...-optic-w-mount

We've run Eo-tech 512's (AA battery) at work for several years now. In my exeperience the Eo-tech cirle /dot reticle offers some advantages but they aren't worth the trouble given the battery life and reliability issues..... Despite the great opportunities this presents to practice with iron sights ....Aimpoints are on my wish list for work...

There are many white light options if you are running a rail but there are two other options worth considering: The Impact Weapons light mounts for the MagPul MOE handguards and the standard M-4 handguards such as the TMC (Top Mount Cantilevered) 1" LIGHT MOUNT-N-SLOT. http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...t/light-mount/ I like the Surefire G2 LED for this but a pistol light on the TMC 1913 Picatinny Light MOUNT-N-SLOT or Mag-Pul MOE light mount will work as well.

The Mag-Pul trigger guard is a "nice to have" if you aren't wearing gloves as the little gap at the junction of the GI trigger guard and pistol grip can wear on your"social" finger.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-10-2012 at 02:45 PM.

M.E.A.L. is from Dean Caputo.
    Rob, thanks for the correction. It's appreciated.

J.Ja, yeah. You were gonging that target off hand very nicely. IMHO, that's the beauty of the RDS. Place dot on target, press trigger, rinse, repeat.

Still haven't read anything I'd argue about.

One thing we have not discussed is cleaning. When I was first introduced to the AR (M16E1 made by GM-HydraMatic) we had stupid time filling processes to clean the silly things. We boiled the bolts in soapy water, we rinsed the uppers and lowers in immersion heaters, dunked them in diesel fuel, painstakingly scraped the carbon off the bolt tail, used Brasso to clean the bores, took knotted up 550 cord to increase the shine and more crap I've blissfully forgotten.

It was all stupid, stupid, stupid. Did I mention it was stupid?

For a garden variety AR (especially with a chrome bore), it's maybe ten minutes to clean. Run a couple of dripping wet patches down the bore, strip and wipe down the bolt and bolt carrier, take a few Q-Tips to the lower receiver, same to the upper, dry patch the bore, re-lube and re-assemble. Personally, I like non-chlorinated brake cleaner, some RKIs don't. It works very well to clean the bolt locking lug recess in the chamber.

I have an EoTech 512 in the bottom of a box somewhere. I think I want to shoot irons only before I sell that off for an Aimpoint.

Oh and one thing I won't be doing is over cleaning things. I have this amazing talent called "lazy" that keeps me out of messes like that.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Just lube it and it will be fine.

From one carbine noob to another, I went through the same deal about a year ago. Through the process I learned:

-Have a couple stacks of mags that you know work. For me it is USGI with Magpul-ish Anti-tilt followers.
    -A good sling for your rifle is the equivalent of a good holster for your pistol.
    -Attach a good white light. If your primary use will be indoors, something that isn't so bright it white washes everything. If it's outdoors, find something that can really throw a beam. If you're lucky you can find something that is adjustable.
    -I use irons for accurate shots, and a cowitnessed RDS for quick shots. Your preference may vary.
    -I BFZ'ed the irons, and then dialed the RDS in for the absolute cowit.
    -Everything is setup for the abundance of reliable practice ammo I have. With several 30 round mags, I have no problems despensing it out the barrel generously.
    -Buy a StripLULA, it's the best tool out there for loading mags from both loose ammo, and ammo on stripper clips.
    -Learn to work the charging handle with your left hand while it's in your shoulder and on target. Dropping it to low ready is a sloppy habit to get into. (Unless you're locking the bolt back manually without a mag.)

So, not much different from what other guys have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    -I use irons for accurate shots, and a cowitnessed RDS for quick shots. Your preference may vary.
    I have a N4 Recce set up for hunting (1-4x) and BCM lightweight (irons) for action stuff. I've tried and tried to like T-1's and have tried a couple on my son's rifles and Aimpoint dots are not dots to my eyes. They are LONG slashes of red. Easily 12 moa across at 100 yards. I can't group with those for squat at 50 or 100. So I run the lightweight with irons and a white light for the time being. For whatever technical and optical reason, EOTech center dots look fine to my eyes.
    These are both mid-length guns so with that little bit more sight radius, the irons hit very well at 100 and pretty well at 200. The superiority of the RDS in general is undeniable. Just not Aimpoints with my vision.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    I have an EoTech 512 in the bottom of a box somewhere. I think I want to shoot irons only before I sell that off for an Aimpoint.

Oh and one thing I won't be doing is over cleaning things. I have this amazing talent called "lazy" that keeps me out of messes like that.
    Re the 512, as much as I like Aimpoint, you can't beat free. If you try it, mount it with the small hex screw (as opposed to the big thumb screw)and some blue loc-tite. Lithium AA's will help with battery life.

One of the big 512 issues is the spring cups in the battery box coming loose and falling out. The best soloution I've seen is found here: http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/12/mo...ch-secret.html

If you keep the 512, I recommend a spare battery box and a Larue mount.

The reticle is the EO-tech is one of it's strengths. The 1 MOA center dot is precise and the 6 o'clock has mark mark of the 65 MOA ring can be used as a POA/POI sight at 7 yards to compensate for off-set. ( Work gun, 100 yard zero, Federal 62 gr. soft point)

I'll toss in a recommendation for Jim Crews' "Some of the Answer" book on the carbine.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    --A good sling for your rifle is the equivalent of a good holster for your pistol.
    -Learn to work the charging handle with your left hand while it's in your shoulder and on target. Dropping it to low ready is a sloppy habit to get into. (Unless you're locking the bolt back manually without a mag.)
    These are excellent points. I would add avoiding the magwell hold.

User Tag List