Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Dealership did not add oil after oil change

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I can't imagine the structure varies too much but warranty claims, especially large, difficult one, are bread and butter for quite a few friends. The manufacturer pays for those and that's always good money. This is across most major brands in my area.
    Sure an engine replacement is a large repair with a large repair cost (flagged hours) to the technician. But warranty process pays 60-75% of what 'customer pay' is (customer pay is the standard hours for the job as codified in labor manuals such as Mitchells). In other words, an engine replacement is say 20 hours for customer pay. For warranty the cost is 15 hours. The manufacturer has a non-negotiable discount in labor costs under a warranty repair. I was a dealer tech for Ford many years ago and they had this system. It had been in place for a few years before I started.

On top of the forced discount, there is minimal to no time allotted for diagnosis and verification of repair.

I had an engine warranty on a big E 350. V-10 had all main bearings spun. You have to fetch the engine from the front. Dual air conditioning compressors. Whole front comes off. Grill, lights, radiator, etc. Job took me 34 hours. I was allocated 20 flagged hours. A regular Econoline was 15 hours. I got 4 extra hours for the extra air conditioning work to R&R and 1 hour for diagnosis and verification combined. Customer pay hours were in range of 30+ hours.
    Last edited by fixer; 04-26-2018 at 06:09 AM.

The truck they damaged was two years old with 27K, so I don't see them handing you the keys to a 2018 straight up. If it were me, with a looming trip requiring a truck, I'd do as NH Shooter suggests and hammer that deal until it's as low as they'll go. It's faster than an engine swap or a lawsuit.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Sure an engine replacement is a large repair with a large repair cost (flagged hours) to the technician. But warranty process pays 60-75% of what 'customer pay' is (customer pay is the standard hours for the job as codified in labor manuals such as Mitchells). In other words, an engine replacement is say 20 hours for customer pay. For warranty the cost is 15 hours. The manufacturer has a non-negotiable discount in labor costs under a warranty repair. I was a dealer tech for Ford many years ago and they had this system. It had been in place for a few years before I started.

On top of the forced discount, there is minimal to no time allotted for diagnosis and verification of repair.

I had an engine warranty on a big E 350. V-10 had all main bearings spun. You have to fetch the engine from the front. Dual air conditioning compressors. Whole front comes off. Grill, lights, radiator, etc. Job took me 34 hours. I was allocated 20 flagged hours. A regular Econoline was 15 hours. I got 4 extra hours for the extra air conditioning work to R&R and 1 hour for diagnosis and verification combined. Customer pay hours were in range of 30+ hours.
    That's very distinctly NOT how things work at the dealers where I have friends working. They hope to get the guaranteed warranty money. I was under the assumption that things worked as you described last year when dealing with an extended warranty thing and was very sharply corrected via social media.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Dealership did not add oil after oil change

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    That's very distinctly NOT how things work at the dealers where I have friends working. They hope to get the guaranteed warranty money. I was under the assumption that things worked as you described last year when dealing with an extended warranty thing and was very sharply corrected via social media.
    Yes warranty times depending on manufacture are 60-75% of book time/customer pay prices.
    Extended warranties or aftermarket are at different time structures depending on service provider/under writing company.

Warranty does not pay for a tech, CP pays.

ETA: Warranty times IIRC are determined by an average of time x amount of said job operation takes an engineer/assement factory design tech to perform. If they do the operation 50 times and it averaged out to 1.3 clock hours to perform that’s what pays, regardless if the first 10 took 3.3 hours to perform.

Some manufacturers use the time lines that it takes to assemble on the factory floor x2 for removal and replacement. Everyone does it different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 04-26-2018 at 08:22 AM.
    AKA: SkyLine1

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Everyone does it different.
    This. Each manufacturer has different policies and has negotiated different arrangements with its dealer network(s), which may change over time. Knowing how it works with one manufacturer doesn't necessarily make you informed about any other manufacturer.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

UPDATE:

New truck for 3k. It all worked out in the end, but I had to be a Hard Ass. This bears repeating, the screw up was bad, but the way the dealership handled this issue was worse.

Side note, They needed to upgrade the cloth seats originally in the truck to heated leather, because that is what I had. They used Katskinz. The quality of this product is much nicer than the factory leather, so if your ever in the market for upgrading interior you may want to take a look.

In any case, I can put this all behind me now, I hope.

My detailed oriented personality wants more details/numbers/line-items to see how it all worked out. As long as you feel like you were made "whole" I guess that's all that matters. (notice I didn't say "happy"... happy would have been them not screwing the pooch to begin with.)
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    I think the op was treated fairly. Sadly, he had to work to get there. I too would like to know factors changing their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    UPDATE:

New truck for 3k. It all worked out in the end, but I had to be a Hard Ass. This bears repeating, the screw up was bad, but the way the dealership handled this issue was worse.

Side note, They needed to upgrade the cloth seats originally in the truck to heated leather, because that is what I had. They used Katskinz. The quality of this product is much nicer than the factory leather, so if your ever in the market for upgrading interior you may want to take a look.

Congrats. It seems the days of companies/businesses simply "doing what's right" are well behind us as consumers (for the most part). I think having to be a "hard ass" to get a "deal" was telegraphed from the very beginning, much like when walking in off the street to buy a vehicle.

I have a new Toyota myself, haven't even gotten to the first of three free oil changes from a dealer. I typically take my vehicles to a one-off mom & pop drive thru place where we know each other by name, but more importantly, remain in the car for the work and watch them physically put oil in the car. I'll take my 4R there after the freebees are up, and pray that it's done right until then.

Glad it all worked out for you. Enjoy your new truck.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    UPDATE:

Outstanding. I hope this thread helped.

User Tag List