Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealership did not add oil after oil change

I’m in a the biz, take the trade deal. New truck for $10k with 0-20 miles on it and a clean trade out of your current truck? If that’s the case they are bending over backwards to help you. They will imo not resale your old truck, way too much future liability, I’m 99% sure it will be sent to auction to be someone else’s problem.

Toyota Corporate won’t do much for you, it was/is a Dealer issue which is a independently owned franchise and not a warranty issue related to manufacture defect.

Any Quick Lube at dealers or independent shops is bottom of the barrel techs. I never use them period. All of my vehicles are maintained by master techs. It is your right as a customer to request a master tech to service your vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    Tundra 5.7 L
    I went to the dealership for an oil change. I left and noticed to check engine light, the heard valve tapping noise. I stopped and checked the dipstick, it was bone dry.

The dealer towed the car and admitted, they did not add oil, NO SHIT. They want to run it thru their insurance and possibly replace the short block. They are hesitant at this point to replace the heads unless there is verifiable damage. I fell as if they should replace the entire motor, any part that should operate with oil should be replaced, it was NEVER designed to operate without oil. They also threw out the idea of trading my 16 Tundra for an 18, exact model and features, at a cost of $10,000 to me.

I feel as if they are trying do the bare minimum to half ass fix their mistake, and or try make make money from their mistake by offering a trade.

If I can't trust them to do an oil change how can I trust them to do an engine rebuild/replacement?

Any additional options on my part?
    Technical issue but the cylinder heads are damaged. The oil travels to heads and cams last in oil flow. Some engines have heads that one bank gets oil before others. either way it is laughable. The first place you notice loss of oil is in the cam journals.

This is why God invented lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    How many miles on the 16? Do you owe anything on it?
    27k and clear title

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    How far did you drive before you shut it down and called the tow truck?
    Not sure, but why does it matter

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I’m in a the biz, take the trade deal. New truck for $10k with 0-20 miles on it and a clean trade out of your current truck? If that’s the case they are bending over backwards to help you. They will imo not resale your old truck, way too much future liability, I’m 99% sure it will be sent to auction to be someone else’s problem.

Toyota Corporate won’t do much for you, it was/is a Dealer issue which is a independently owned franchise and not a warranty issue related to manufacture defect.

Any Quick Lube at dealers or independent shops is bottom of the barrel techs. I never use them period. All of my vehicles are maintained by master techs. It is your right as a customer to request a master tech to service your vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Technical issue but the cylinder heads are damaged. The oil travels to heads and cams last in oil flow. Some engines have heads that one bank gets oil before others. either way it is laughable. The first place you notice loss of oil is in the cam journals.

This is why God invented lawyers.
    Sorry but I don't see 10K out of pocket for me as bending over backwards. I don't see a complete new motor and rental car for several weeks being less than 10K. The point is they screwed up BIG TIME, and are trying to run it thru insurance to replace only the short block, not the complete motor. Anything that oil touched should be replaced at a minimum. I can't believe they are splitting hairs on this. All this happened out of town and I was scheduled to leave on May 1, pulling a trailer. Now that's not going to happen, how do the compensate for that? They never mentioned not charging me for the initial service work. They are trying to keep their costs to a minimum. The deal they offered is to their benefit, NOT mine.
    Basically what I heard, is we screwed up, but will fix half of it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    The first place you notice loss of oil is in the cam journals.
    This. Cam journals are cut into the aluminum of the head with no separate bearing material. They can't take no oil even for a little bit.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I would either ask if they could drop the cost of the trade in to $5,000 and take that or argue for a brand new engine.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Lawyer and massive complaining. Minimum entire new motor.
    Yes^10. They screwed up. I'd want the dealership to make my client whole. Maybe a new truck for $10K is a deal, but only if the victim is in a position to afford an unplanned ten-grand hit to the wallet. If they choose to replace the engine (the entire engine, mind you), a free loaner truck should be provided while the work is being done , and while they're waiting for a engine to be shipped in. (I'm presuming that those aren't dealer-stock items.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    27k and clear title

Not sure, but why does it matter

Sorry but I don't see 10K out of pocket for me as bending over backwards. I don't see a complete new motor and rental car for several weeks being less than 10K. The point is they screwed up BIG TIME, and are trying to run it thru insurance to replace only the short block, not the complete motor. Anything that oil touched should be replaced at a minimum. I can't believe they are splitting hairs on this. All this happened out of town and I was scheduled to leave on May 1, pulling a trailer. Now that's not going to happen, how do the compensate for that? They never mentioned not charging me for the initial service work. They are trying to keep their costs to a minimum. The deal they offered is to their benefit, NOT mine.
    Basically what I heard, is we screwed up, but will fix half of it.
    I understand your frustration and anger at their incompetence in your situation and hope it does come out to your advantage. I truly do. Your other options is lawyer up and hammer them, you’ll win but will take a lot of time and money (lawyer fees can be recovered in settlement).

I do want to stress the time involved in that situation, how much is your time worth being out of your truck and inconvenience of it.

The dealers shop/garage insurance is the one that will make the call on parts replacement (short or long block) and another issue is if that is the route your taking to confirm that all parts are new, not remanufactured assemblies OR refreshed junk yard motor with unknown mileage/condition due to total loss of donor vehicle. A full on motor replacement with new “long block assembly crate motor” in parts alone your looking at close to $7-9k before labor.

Just trying to help.

AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    These flakes need some alligators on their ass. Call Toyota Corporation to put heat under them. The dealership's response is generating bad PR. My opinion is that the dealership wishes not to alienate Toyota. The corporation may "suggest" that the dealership act in good faith. You might consult an attorney to ascertain what your consumer rights are. I've never trusted car dealerships who usually have zero qualms about screwing the public. I don't see how you can be served to your satisfaction without having an attorney. Hiring an attorney might prevent crap like finding out at the last minute that you owe $$$ when you finally arrive to pick up repaired truck.

Without knowing all of the options and trim on your truck. I lookd up prices. A 4x2 double cab 5.7L Tundra with 27k miles on it would bring ~29k on the market. A new 2018 SR5 double cab, 4x2, with 5.7L is ~35k.

In my opinion offering you a new truck at 10k is short changing you. Offering you a new truck - taking your truck at full retail (not trade-in) + $$$ difference is the fairest deal they can make. In effect you’ll pay 5k for the 27k miles you’ve driven. That’s not a bad deal, overall. Especially for peace of mind. A replaced engine will affect resale value. I’d put the the screws to them and get full retail for your truck and if possible, pay the cash differential and drive home in a new truck.

They screwed up here, they have to pay for it. Making them buy a ruined truck for full retail is about the very best you can hope. They’ll recoup their losses via insurance and auction. That’s not your problem, that’s their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Just to confirm my memory: is this the same truck that the dealer’s crew drove into a pole or something?
    I think that was @rob_s truck.

User Tag List