Thread: AR build vs AR Customization

AR build vs AR Customization

Well- I’ve rediscovered how much I like shooting AR’s after some burnout a few months ago. I think part of it was based on my Army days- basically you got a weapon and shot said weapon. Could not do much to make it cool. Plus- child support ends in five weeks!!!
    So- I’ve thought about building an AR. I’ve got a Colt 6920 and Sig M400 (send me a reasonable offer, lol) and want to get a third. There was a good thread a few years ago on building an AR, but after reading I started thinking customizing current AR’s would better.
    Question is- what does the group think?
    Also- outside of rails, pistol grip, buttstock what do you customize on your AR? Not as interested in optics or lights- those I’d consider add-ons to the physical AR. Do you change buffer springs, triggers, etc; or just limit it to furniture?

Thanks.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Building is not hard. I have the tools. Buy me some BBQ for lunch and I'll wander over to Cowtown and walk you through it.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

If an all-thumbs mechanically declined MI Geek like me can assemble an AR from parts with the help of threads on ARFcom, so can you.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Also- outside of rails, pistol grip, buttstock what do you customize on your AR? Not as interested in optics or lights- those I’d consider add-ons to the physical AR. Do you change buffer springs, triggers, etc; or just limit it to furniture?

Thanks.
    I use a David Tubb flat buffer spring in all my AR's. Most are also running Geissele SSA's. I'm also partial to the Battle Arms Development Enhanced Pin Set, and the Raptor charging handle.

I set up both rifles (the true rulers of the universe) and carbines pretty much the same way. For a while I got into the ambi-safeties, but that was (very) short lived.. and played with goofy shit like the BAD lever (it's fun to dick with stuff... but not necessarily to leave it that way)
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I guess the question is: what's your motivation?

If you're looking for a fun project to burn money on, and enjoy learning about the mechanics of things, then build one. They're Lego sets, and with the help of a few videos and this neat gamey thingy, pretty much anyone can learn how.

If you want something you know ahead of time will work correctly, and you just want to focus on accessories and making it look cool, then pick up a Colt 6920 and burn money on accoutrements and ammo.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Well- I’ve rediscovered how much I like shooting AR’s after some burnout a few months ago. I think part of it was based on my Army days- basically you got a weapon and shot said weapon. Could not do much to make it cool. Plus- child support ends in five weeks!!!
    So- I’ve thought about building an AR. I’ve got a Colt 6920 and Sig M400 (send me a reasonable offer, lol) and want to get a third. There was a good thread a few years ago on building an AR, but after reading I started thinking customizing current AR’s would better.

Thanks.
    Depends on how good the trigger is. I shoot a stock burst trigger at work so I am not too picky but I’ve swapped a few crappy stock triggers for ALG ACT triggers or the similar sons of Liberty fighting trigger. They are GI triggers which have been micro polished and finished in nickel Teflon (NP3 type).

I usually reserve the SSA triggers for SPR /DMR / Precision Guns.

I’m sure most would consider it a very long way from “battle worthy,” but I changed out some perfectly adequate mil spec parts for a LMOS and a H2 Silent Captured Spring from JP Enterprises. Paired with an SLR adjustable gas block, it surely did make my 6.5 Grendel more fun to shoot. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Internal parts replacement depends on:
    a) what the rifle is doing or not doing, e.g., overgassed, not cycling reliably, not extracting consistently, etc. and
    b) the intended application. Serious use, precision, suppressed, fun/speed racer, whatever.

For serious use it's "Heavy" buffers, buffer spring, trigger, charging handle are usual suspects. Not into the other oversized/short throw/speed controls. I want control commonality in all family rifles.

Holmes, I'd take Serious Student up on his offer and buy him a tasty BBQ lunch.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List