Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strange Ammo Malfunction

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post

I'd half expect this from Freedom reman... but not PPU.
    No kidding. It is actually beautiful Ammo externally. It looks primo.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Do they fit the chamber of your barrel like they do the case gage? That bullet looks really long. Do they spin freely when chambered? Pull the barrel out to chamber check.
    Will be a day or so before I can do this but
    thanks for the idea.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Any pull downs of loaded rounds? I doubt it's anything internal or left over from manufacturing but who knows.

Do the cases with large extractor cuts have noticeable case volume or internal depth differences?

Maybe chrono the stuff if you still feel safe shooting it.
    All the above is beyond my capabilities.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    If it helps, these are the pistols that have issues with the ammo:

Difficulty chambering:
    P30l
    Steyr MA1
    PPQ

The HK seems worst, but still malfunctions are only a 1-2% thing. Debris flying is multiple shots every mag.

Failures to extract:
    Beretta PX4C

Pistols that don’t seem to care:
    Glocks
    Beretta 92s

I have not tried it in anything else.
    Shoot it through the Glocks and Beretta’s, and shoot something else through the others.

There is a noticeable rim inside some cases. It is a dark ring that seems a little gooey. I don’t think any brass is missing there but it is the right shape.
    That's likely bullet sealant if they are made to true NATO spec. Like mentioned I'd cease and desist firing any of more them until you hear from the manufacturer. And I was just thinking about nabbing a case of this myself.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 04-24-2018 at 11:50 PM.

There is a noticeable rim inside some cases. It is a dark ring that seems a little gooey. I don’t think any brass is missing there but it is the right shape.
    I've seen 9mm cases of European manufacture with and interior step. I assume it's to help prevent bullet set back. I've seen malfunctions occur when the case separates at the step, leaving the front section of the case in the chamber. I wonder if something similar is happening here? The case exteriors don't seem affected.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

@Enel, are you sure that's brass and not jacket material? It looks like what you get when a revolver is shaving bullets, but I've never seen that in an auto.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    That's likely bullet sealant if they are made to true NATO spec. Like mentioned I'd cease and desist firing any of more them until you hear from the manufacturer. And I was just thinking about nabbing a case of this myself.
    I heard back from PPU promptly. Here is the text of email:

“the nato 9mm is meant for military style carbines and in most cases too hot for pistol use. We recommend standard 9mm ammo for pistols. We can trade you the nato ammo for standard 9mm.”

I don’t think I will bother trading it and just shoot it in the 92s and Glocks.

I had heard HKs like relatively hot Ammo for the first few thousand rounds which is why I bought this originally.

It does seem to cause problems with failure to extract in the PX4, which may be to higher pressure?

And maybe this is a great excuse to buy a 9mm carbine

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    @Enel, are you sure that's brass and not jacket material? It looks like what you get when a revolver is shaving bullets, but I've never seen that in an auto.
    I don’t know. The material is really thin and much smaller than it appears in the photo above.

Are the bullets jacketed or plated? I have seen plated bullets do funny things because they come apart sometimes.

User Tag List