Thread: Throwing knives?

Throwing knives?

So my 10 year old wants to get into throwing knives. He's proven to be responsible with his fixed blade and hatchet, so I'm willing to let him explore some throwing (with my heavy supervision).

There is a pretty nice knife shop near me who I'd prefer to buy from but the only throwing knives they have in stock are a Hibben set and a Condor set. My research shows that neither are well-regarded.

I did come across this Boker Mini Bo-Kri set which looks somewhat promising, but I thought I'd pick the brain of some of our knowledgable knife experts before I commit to a purchase. Any thoughts on getting into throwing and / or which knives are worthwhile would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

McEvoy design throwers, Talk to Bobby Branton, knifemaker who continued the designs. Bobby is a great guy and very skilled.

I was into that as a kid. Id say just get some china cheapos, he'll have fun with those- and remember they can bounce back quite a distance.

Big / heavy and a good target / backstop so there is less temptation to experiment on other things.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

SOG Flings are inexpensive and generally well rated. ~40-50 bucks for 3. They'll work until he either gets bored or is good enough to require an upgrade. If the latter, Tru-Balance Throwing Knives by Branton/McEvoy -

If you throw at a telephone pole hard at 7 yards and it hits wrong, it will come back at you fast, sidestep most rikitik. I was 12, 1969.

3/8" diameter steel rod 12'' or so long sharpened on one or both ends make cheap durable throwers. Lowe's has some nails about that big. Cut the heads off.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    If you throw at a telephone pole hard at 7 yards and it hits wrong, it will come back at you fast, sidestep most rikitik. I was 12, 1969.

3/8" diameter steel rod 12'' or so long sharpened on one or both ends make cheap durable throwers. Lowe's has some nails about that big. Cut the heads off.
    We did a lot of damage when I was a kid with one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-...-no-redirect=1

pat

I've had a lot of luck/fun just throwing cheap steak knives.

Photo of a once in a lifetime shot I made back in college, where we played "knife darts" as a drinking game.

Ice Picks also work extremely well:

The trick for throwing knives is figuring out the correct distance from the target; for kitchen knives and icepicks, 3 large paces (~9-10') works well for a proper rotation.

User Tag List