Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old INS/Border Patrol Qual...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It is referring to the cross bolt safety on the 870. Safety protruding to the right meaning the safety was on. We were always taught "smooth on the right - ready to fight."
    Roger. If I had a Remington instead of a Mossberg it might have been obvious...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

If you mean the 7 yard stage, which was last, yes, it was body index / unsighted fire, shot with the stock tucked under the arm like in a bad action movie. It was shot from both the right and left sides. IMHO it was a waste of 10 rounds of buckshot and I'm not sorry it's gone.
    Ohio's shotgun qual used to have a similar stage. As you said, a waste of buckshot.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Ohio's shotgun qual used to have a similar stage. As you said, a waste of buckshot.
    There's some that still do, amazingly. I have a friend that is leaving the federal Bureau of Prisons for the US Marshals this year. For her last promotion she had to qual on a shotgun, and it was apparently from the hip as well.

Left my mouth agape...
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Found some old course of fire cards while cleaning out some boxes. Thought folks may find them interesting. Keep in mind the pistol course of fire was meant to be run with a 96D or 4” .357 magnum. So while the times are easy for most pistols, the DAO trigger with full power ammo made them a bit more challenging. Eventually, we went LEM. The 50 yard section was optional, but I tried to do it at least once a year...

And Shotgun... (14” 870, with ghost ring sights)

Just figured some of you folks would find it interesting and perhaps run it yourself.

Target is a TQ-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would you mind explaining how it's scored? I'm not familiar with that course or the scoring of that target.

Thanks.
    Last edited by DMF13; 04-24-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Would you mind explaining how it's scored? I'm it familiar with that course or the scoring of that target.

Thanks.
    The TQ 15 is a grey silhouette with two concentric boxes in the high chest which looks like an old TV set.

If I recall correctly it was scored 5 points, 4 points and 1 or 2 points for anything outside the boxes but in the silhouette.

Name:  06537D8C-4BE3-4E8F-8E6C-9DE0D268FC44.jpeg
Views: 332
Size:  39.1 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 04-24-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    During that time frame what was allowed to be carried off duty by INS and BP?

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Would you mind explaining how it's scored? I'm not familiar with that course or the scoring of that target.

Thanks.
    It’s 5 points center, 4 points outer ring, 2 points to the edge. Without shooting the 50 yard stage, a 360 is the high score.

“A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

What are the high search and low search positions? (I think I know what it means, but I could also be completely off...)

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    What are the high search and low search positions? (I think I know what it means, but I could also be completely off...)
    Probably exactly what you think. Low is down at about a 45 degree angle. High is up, looking over the top of the gun at the threat, about 5-10 degrees down.

“A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    It’s 5 points center, 4 points outer ring, 2 points to the edge. Without shooting the 50 yard stage, a 360 is the high score.

Thanks Gadfly, and HCM.

User Tag List