Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old INS/Border Patrol Qual...

Old INS/Border Patrol Qual...

Found some old course of fire cards while cleaning out some boxes. Thought folks may find them interesting. Keep in mind the pistol course of fire was meant to be run with a 96D or 4” .357 magnum. So while the times are easy for most pistols, the DAO trigger with full power ammo made them a bit more challenging. Eventually, we went LEM. The 50 yard section was optional, but I tried to do it at least once a year...

And Shotgun... (14” 870, with ghost ring sights)

Just figured some of you folks would find it interesting and perhaps run it yourself.

Target is a TQ-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

A qual card with a 50 yard standard, it makes us smile it does.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

LSP lost the 50 yard stage due to a no-shooting LTC. Couldn’t have the number 2 guy failing to qualify, so the obvious solution was to ignore the fact that State Police agencies occasionally have some longer distance shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    LSP lost the 50 yard stage due to a no-shooting LTC. Couldn’t have the number 2 guy failing to qualify, so the obvious solution was to ignore the fact that State Police agencies occasionally have some longer distance shootings.
    Yep. I remember when we were forming our SWAT unit. A minimum benchpress of your own body weight was going to be a requirement. That is, until a well connected Lieutenant couldn't get it done. For some reason that requirement went buh bye. Politics are the death of standards, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Yep. I remember when we were forming our SWAT unit. A minimum benchpress of your own body weight was going to be a requirement. That is, until a well connected Lieutenant couldn't get it done. For some reason that requirement went buh bye. Politics are the death of standards, every time.
    I think most of the washouts on our SRT were for chins and possibly the timed runs. (IIRC, it was a mile and a half.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

On the shotgun course, is the first string calling for unsighted fire, or is that just the start position?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    On the shotgun course, is the first string calling for unsighted fire, or is that just the start position?
    The first stage of the old qualification was the 25 yard stage with slugs.

Everything after that at 15, 10 and 7 yards was "familiarization" with buck shot.

If you mean the 7 yard stage, which was last, yes, it was body index / unsighted fire, shot with the stock tucked under the arm like in a bad action movie. It was shot from both the right and left sides. IMHO it was a waste of 10 rounds of buckshot and I'm not sorry it's gone.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-24-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Under "Topping Off", what does "Safety On - Right On" mean?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Under "Topping Off", what does "Safety On - Right On" mean?
    It is referring to the cross bolt safety on the 870. Safety protruding to the right meaning the safety was on. We were always taught "smooth on the right - ready to fight."

If I recall correctly, the "quick shoot" position for one of the 10 yard stages was like a clay games start where you have to shoulder the gun as opposed to the high and low search positions in which the shotgun is already shouldered.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-24-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think most of the washouts on our SRT were for chins and possibly the timed runs. (IIRC, it was a mile and a half.)
    I'll admit I always had trouble with chin ups. Being built like a bulldozer wasn't conducive to defying gravity. Pick it up and throw? No problem. Grab it and crush it? I was your Huckleberry. But those f'ing chin ups were my nemesis. We included a 1.5 mile run, in full kit, in our standards for years until research showed the farthest we'd ever run was maybe half a city block and that was only once. I don't think they require it now.

User Tag List