Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm just going to say it

@Casual Friday, probably... wouldn't be the first time.

ETA:
    What specifically was your point? I do find there is an appreciable difference between a rifle of greater accuracy vs one that is not. When you are talking hallway distances okay fine I get that, (or maybe I don't get the point of this discussion at all). When we are talking ranges of greater than 100 meters particularly from non conventional or unsupported shooting positions and standing there is a difference. I am not trying to be contrarian but I'd like to understand. If it's sarcasm maybe my meter is broken this morning but an argument for a lesser accurate carbine designed for use at intermediate ranges seems pointless.
    Last edited by Mike C; 04-25-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    @Casual Friday, probably... wouldn't be the first time.

ETA:
    What specifically was your point? I do find there is an appreciable difference between a rifle of greater accuracy vs one that is not. When you are talking hallway distances okay fine I get that, (or maybe I don't get the point of this discussion at all). When we are talking ranges of greater than 100 meters particularly from non conventional or unsupported shooting positions and standing there is a difference. I am not trying to be contrarian but I'd like to understand. If it's sarcasm maybe my meter is broken this morning but an argument for a lesser accurate carbine designed for use at intermediate ranges seems pointless.
    We're not arguing for less accurate rifles, at least I'm not. I've found that the difference between a 2.5" rifle vs a 4.5" rifle from a rest doesn't translate over when firing from the shoulder, for me. Two Sunday's ago I took my AR and AK to the range and the group sizes from 50-100 were indiscernible. The AR is nothing special, a PSA lower with a 16" BCM upper. The AK is a Romanian G kit with the chrome lined combloc barrel. From the bench the AR shoots groups half the size.

Gotcha, I understand differences in shooter capability, needs, etcetera. Guess I'm just not picking up what others are putting down this morning. Thanks for the clarification.

OP was not saying that I'd not take a more accurate rifle. It's fairly clear.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    OP was not saying that I'd not take a more accurate rifle. It's fairly clear.
    Yeah, wasn't clear but I've got that now. Let's chalk it up to cognitive issues this morning. Let the sarcasm resume.

I don't need a 1MOA carbine for nearly anything. Whew! Glad that I got that off of my chest, thanks for listening
    Hey LL!! ...next thing you are going to say "I don't need a pistol that groups into 1.5" @ 25 yds for nearly anything"
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 04-25-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    I suspect it is similar for a hunting rifle. 1.5-3.0 MOA groups are sufficient to kill game at any reasonably ethical range.

It's whether or not you can shoot that well from a field position that will determine your success.

All things being equal, a more accurate rifle is better. Of course.

But not all things are equal are they now? There is of course, much better variety in picking a suitable rifle nowadays.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I don't need a fantastically accurate carbine all that much, but my general experience is that the more accurate a rifle is, the more I will probably enjoy it.

But then, that's only true if it's also extremely reliable. I have a very small, very accurate carbine that is not as reliable as I would like and until I get the reliability issue resolved, I won't enjoy it much at all.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I don't need a 1MOA carbine for nearly anything. Whew! Glad that I got that off of my chest, thanks for listening
    Got me to thinking about what defines a "carbine" and how nebulous that definition can be;

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...rifle-defined/

In terms of precision, most of us realize that a shorter barrel is generally "stiffer" than a longer one (all other factors equal) which can actually improve precision.

In regards to the AR platform, I'm not sure where the dividing line is between a carbine and a rifle. Perhaps it defined as much by the length of the gas tube as the length of the barrel? Or are the only true AR "rifles" ones with at least a 20" barrel?

Does the carbine definition carry with it the expectation (and acceptance) of lesser precision capability?

In my feeble mind, the "carbine attributes" I appreciate the most are lighter weight and improved ease-of-carry. If it can also provide the same level of precision I would expect in a rifle, and can be fitted with a trigger and sighting system to fully leverage that precision, my reasons for carrying the longer/heavier rifle are mostly nullified. In combination with effective ammo, this IMO defines the modern AR.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 04-26-2018 at 05:10 AM.

When the M16 came out, it was considered a carbine.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List