Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MSD Student Pulled Out Of Class, Questioned After Range Visit with Dad

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    My previous post was (in my head, anyway) a tangent from your starting point... but I should have been more clear.

I was lamenting the reality that the anti's are using social media very effectively. To rally, to groupthink, to crush opposition. And by allowing them free reign in that medium, it's easy to see why they continue to gather acolytes and become bolder and more confident in their positions. How do we counter that? How do we demand fair play for a teenager getting shaken down by agents of the state for doing completely legal teenager things? How is that not chilling? In what world is that behavior not worthy of being opposed? But the anti's effectively own the battlefield. It feels like hiding when what I'd rather do is demand facts and truth and fidelity to rule of law and common decency, all of which seem to have been sacrificed on the alter of progressivism.

That's what was rattling around in my head earlier.

Back to your point......
    Nobody in my house had a FB account until my wife needed one for work last year. Other than her work purpose, it's been nothing but regret for her.
    My youngest now needs a FB account, because a group that they very much want to participate in uses FB to manage the group.
    We'll be having another discussion about keeping the personal information and opinion to a minimum.
    I could not agree with you any more wholeheartedly on this.

Apologies for my not being clearer earlier.
    I think one reason why liberals use social media so effectively is that conservatives have jobs. I have a Facebook account that I created primarily as a business development tool, and I rarely use it. I simply do not have time to read through and respond to everything my Facebook "Friends" (some of whom would not have given me the time of day back when I knew them in person) posted, I would not have time to do my clients' work. I am therefore on Facebook once every few months. Some of my liberal friends post multiple times daily.

I do think what happened to this student requires a very strong response, preferably through the legal system, as well as with some significant and bad publicity. If we do not shut down this nonsense now, it will only get worse.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 04-24-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I think one reason why liberals use social media so effectively is that conservatives have jobs.
    There are an awful lot of posts on gun forums during “business hours” for that alone to be a major factor
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Food for thought - "Conservatives™" seem to be pretty good at using social media and the internet to support group think and rally too.

Just ask Yeti.

___

Social media is a modern way of life, I like to check my TwitterBook feed during the times I would have taken a smoke break back in the day. The conceptual idea that somehow modern generations do "less" work that previous generations is just that, a concept. According to labor statistics, the average American has been doing ~6-hours of labor since the Teamsters came into being.

If you're self employed, that's a different story. But no one works harder than people who look their bosses in the mirror in the morning.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    There are an awful lot of posts on gun forums during “business hours” for that alone to be a major factor
    Yes, but given the smaller number of participants on good gun forums such as this one and TPI, there is less to read and respond to. If I were to respond to every anti-gun post that even one of my liberal friends posted on Facebook, it would literally occupy half of my day. Add a few more anti-gun posters into the mix, and the conversation with my wife at the end of the day will be "Hi Honey, how was your day? I didn't bill any time, meet any deadlines, or make progress on any client projects today, but you should have seen me shut down those anti-2A people on Facebook!"

Even on this forum, I have had to back out of multiple discussions in the general discussion section of this forum not out of frustration with anyone or any content, but simply because it was taking up time I could not afford to spend.

I dunno. It does seem that the anti-2A faction of the left dominates both mainstream media and FB. On the other hand, so what? If somebody prone to saying idiotic things is given a microphone, they’re just a louder idiot. All of which is to say: massive outcry; everytown raises 13.5k... meanwhile the NRA quietly pulls 2.4 mil from grassroots voters. Remember how Hilary dominated the polls and the press? All the people being shouted down just expressed their opinion in private: in the voting booth.

And, yeah, facebook is just a tool for corporate farming of our free time. Not interested, beyond doing business.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 04-25-2018 at 12:33 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I dunno. It does seem that the anti-2A faction of the left dominates both mainstream media and FB. On the other hand, so what? If somebody prone to saying idiotic things is given a microphone, they’re just a louder idiot. All of which is to say: massive outcry; everytown raises 13.5k... meanwhile the NRA quietly pulls 2.4 mil from grassroots voters. Remember how Hilary dominated the polls and the press? All the people being shouted down just expressed their opinion in private: in the voting booth.

And, yeah, facebook is just a tool for corporate farming of our free time. Not interested, beyond doing business.
    If we discount voter fraud, which I do not believe we can do, Hillary won the popular vote, proving that sometimes a majority means all the fools are on the same side. She lost the electoral vote in part because her supporters were concentrated in a few parts of the country.

If the only voices people are hearing are the other side, at some point those voices will be the ones that are believed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If the only voices people are hearing are the other side, at some point those voices will be the ones that are believed.
    That's very true. Many people in SoCal who would be conservative by fundamental character simply swim in a sea of liberalism. It's all they know.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Lies repeated become perceived truths, for sure.

How often do I hear someone mention “registering” a gun because every cop show on tv has them convinced all guns are registered somewhere already? Or how about how people dramatically overestimate the LGTBQ population, because the media industry has made a point of “norming” their presence in every small social group? [this discussion isn’t about the good/bad of that — just that it is quite clear that they have purposefully pushed that agenda. Let’s not get off into that...]

We are fighting battles around cultural norms - and the pro-gun side needs to stay vocal to ensure our presence is known as normal. The guy down the block who likes going to the range each weekend is your friendly neighborhood math teacher, NOT automatically some antisocial pariah in a basement fort built of ammo cans and MREs.

Maybe we need to march in gun pride parades, “we’re armed! Don’t be alarmed! Get over it!”
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    ... antisocial pariah in a basement fort built of ammo cans and MREs.
    Are you my neighbor?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There are no basements around here. They'd all be flooded multiple times a year.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04-25-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List